Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 06:59 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
In a Cayman, I have realized it is a lot louder outside the car to bystanders than in the car
I'm 100% satisfied with the Kline (SS) sound in terms of volume and note
The weather is also getting warmer here in the DFW area - it could just be my imagination, but seems to make all sorts of extra noise (in a good way) when the car is driven hard and it's warmer.

I might still add the headers, but I am definitely enjoying mine more now.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:58 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Any good options that would allow me to pass the CA smog test?
Old 04-17-2023, 11:19 PM
Lucas1
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Here's a drive by with the stainless steel system. Fantastic system and value.

https://youtu.be/MJ2RGm-y0-U
It sounds great!
Do you have full Kline system: 200 cell headers + oap + rear box?
or only oap + rear box?
Old 04-17-2023, 11:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas1
It sounds great!
Do you have full Kline system: 200 cell headers + oap + rear box?
or only oap + rear box?
Thanks, really pleased with it and I think you can tell from that video it is pretty loud under full load! No headers and no interest in them.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
flynlo (04-24-2023), LoodorneGT4 (04-20-2023), tigerhonaker (04-18-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:13 AM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default OAP Temp comparison

Originally Posted by SupremePower
We have a Spyder coming in for installation on Weds...will be able to do the heat gun test between OE and Non Heat Shielded
Hello Eric, Did you measure the OAP temperatures between OEM and Kline? I am interested in the result.
Cheers,
Ed
Old 04-19-2023, 10:43 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 249 Posts

I have the heat shielded version, took 3-4 weeks to arrive. There really is only upside to having the OAP shielded, the exhaust runs very close to suspension components. I'm not convinced it reduces the volume materially, but if your really concerned get it Jethot coated instead. For a tracked car I would not run without shielding.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:35 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by lucycan
Any good options that would allow me to pass the CA smog test?
Find a guy or a guy who knows a guy...
Old 04-19-2023, 01:04 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
In a Cayman, I have realized it is a lot louder outside the car to bystanders than in the car
I'm 100% satisfied with the Kline (SS) sound in terms of volume and note
We measured a 7 degree increase w the non shielded Kline OAP was 7 degrees higher than the shielded OE w filter in place.

So not cooler but relatively the same temp as the OE with shieldling and the outside temp was higher too when we measured the Kline

Temperature outside
59 deg when tested stock
74 deg when tested w Kline SS OAP + Rear Valvetronic

We have another 718 4.0 car coming into do an inconel system. Will be measuring it too. We will try to do it in the afternoon so the ambient temp is the same for before and after

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (04-19-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 02:21 AM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

We measured a 7 degree increase w the non shielded Kline OAP was 7 degrees higher than the shielded OE w filter in place.

So not cooler but relatively the same temp as the OE with shieldling and the outside temp was higher too when we measured the Kline

Temperature outside
59 deg when tested stock

We have another 718 4.0 car coming into do an inconel system. Will be measuring it too. We will try to do it in the afternoon so the ambient temp is the same for before and after
That is good info, Eric. What would be even more interesting would be to measure rhe temps of the suspension components that everyone seems to be worried about....can't imagine that a 7 degree increase in OAP temps equals same increase in the suspension. I'd guess maybe less than 5 degrees there.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:50 AM
voods
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by voods
So I got my kline catless headers. The fitment isn't great. It's not possible to use the o2 sensor without using a 90 degree spacer. The right side pipe touches the heatshield at one section.
The sound is crazy loud now in combination with my akra OAP and stock muffler, but I only use this on track with no restriction on sound. It probably needs resonated OAP's to tone down some of the rasp.
Added sound clip of a flyby on track.

The random chinese o2 spacer I'm using still gives me a CEL. Anyone have a working 90 degree spacer recommendation?
So, Kline sent me a new left side header now with better fitment and I can fit the o2 sensor without using a 90 degree spacer now. My right side header is still permanently pressing against the bottom of the engine heatshield and they don't want to replace it.

Anyone had similar issues?
Old 04-20-2023, 10:53 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
That is good info, Eric. What would be even more interesting would be to measure rhe temps of the suspension components that everyone seems to be worried about....can't imagine that a 7 degree increase in OAP temps equals same increase in the suspension. I'd guess maybe less than 5 degrees there.
Measuring static temps after a street drive is interesting, but doesn't tell you what peak heat radiation will be at wide open throttle. On track you spend a huge amount of time at or close to it. The fact temps are higher after cruising around on the street without the stock OAP filter (which traps a ton of heat) does not give me any comfort that running without shielding would be a good idea.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:11 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 513 Likes on 230 Posts

Temperature outside
59 deg when tested stock

I didn't measure it, but every time I parked after a long spirited drive and was folding the roof up in my spyder with OEM OAP, it burned my leg here in Florida. After the Kline system, this does not happen.
The following users liked this post:
impinth06 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 01:30 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill_76
I didn't measure it, but every time I parked after a long spirited drive and was folding the roof up in my spyder with OEM OAP, it burned my leg here in Florida. After the Kline system, this does not happen.
The aftermarket OAP cools down significantly faster than the original with the filter in place.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:36 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Montaver
Measuring static temps after a street drive is interesting, but doesn't tell you what peak heat radiation will be at wide open throttle. On track you spend a huge amount of time at or close to it. The fact temps are higher after cruising around on the street without the stock OAP filter (which traps a ton of heat) does not give me any comfort that running without shielding would be a good idea.
We have sold hundreds of these systems now with no complaints or issues reported w no shielding or coatings.

If you want the peace of mind, go ahead and get the shielding or do the jet hot coating. Wont have to think about it any longer….

Old 04-20-2023, 02:04 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

We have sold hundreds of these systems now with no complaints or issues reported w no shielding or coatings.

If you want the peace of mind, go ahead and get the shielding or do the jet hot coating. Wont have to think about it any longer….
I already bought a system from you with heat shielding

Heat degrades components over time, it's not something that will necessarily be obvious right away.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust