Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I gather you're not a starter for 7 June? When are you starting the 993 refurb? Have you done any research on repaint costs? Hopefully Herman's back this week and Chris wins the Trademe Auction today. If the ducks start to fall into place I think I'll take the refurb route early as well...unless Lola turns in a 1:19xx in the meantime!
You've got time John. I don't get new tyres for a while. Unless...
Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Lol. Doug can smell the fear...not long now....he he!

Why would you guys want to cosmetically refurbish your track rats? If you are going to spend 8-10k on a paint job might be best to do it after an off or before retiring the car from go car to show car? Just saying - already own the t shirt...
Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

You could always run it down to Final Touch for a makeover in the interim to make you feel better when your looking at the car from the outside
Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^ Lol. Doug can smell the fear...not long now....he he! Why would you guys want to cosmetically refurbish your track rats? If you are going to spend 8-10k on a paint job might be best to do it after an off or before retiring the car from go car to show car? Just saying - already own the t shirt...
Macca, there's a pattern here. When you reach the point of diminishing returns it's time to reflect on the way forward. Peter moved to a dedicated race car, Paul is effectively retiring the 993 from track work and looking for a race car, you've got your GT3, and Lola is slated for road biased refurbishment. Herman is going the same way sooner or later, probably sooner. Not retiring altogether, just taking a different pace.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I gather you're not a starter for 7 June? When are you starting the 993 refurb? Have you done any research on repaint costs?
Probably not.

I will do the PCNZ bent sprints in the 993 (I would say, "but that's it", but it could be another Tui moment)..........and I need to crack a 1.17 (1.18.2 is just too close.......)

Macca says $8-10K for windows out repaint but that's at his rates, I need to tidy up a poor repair on the drivers seat, shampoo and professionally valet the interior, tidy a few scrapes on the rims and buy 2 kids seats, so budgeting about $12K (unless I buy some turbo sports seats or hardbacks, which add another $5K).

Oh - and some 993 RS rep rims and new tires - better add another $7K, and the stereo is crap - another $2K, and carbon handbrake and **** - $3K, and Lloyds matts $500.

I think that's about it??

No - RS uprights and tie rods, solid side mounts and new rear bushings to complete the suspension rebuild. Even though this car is a roadie, I didn't like (or was totally impressed- with how much quicker) Macca's car was than mine through the twistes, so better do these for 'road use'. I think this adds another $6K.

Give me 18 months and the car will owe me $100K.........(but will look nice and handle-jandle)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-21-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
You could always run it down to Final Touch for a makeover in the interim to make you feel better when your looking at the car from the outside
These guys are very good, and I saw Pete's car on their facebook page.

Get them to fully detail and cut and polish.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
These guys are very good, and I saw Pete's car on their facebook page.

Get them to fully detail and cut and polish.
My secret's out....
Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Your post had me in stitches!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul. Your post had me in stitches!
I aim to please mate.......
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca, there's a pattern here. When you reach the point of diminishing returns it's time to reflect on the way forward. Peter moved to a dedicated race car, Paul is effectively retiring the 993 from track work and looking for a race car, you've got your GT3, and Lola is slated for road biased refurbishment. Herman is going the same way sooner or later, probably sooner. Not retiring altogether, just taking a different pace.
John. That might be true for some around here but I've never been to the same race track twice in my life so I'm no way near the diminishing returns stakes. I will be sticking with the 993 on the track till I'm giving the faster cars a reason to get nervous. Only when I'm confident it's the car holding me back will I repaint it, retire it and replace it on track with the GT3. Plenty to learn first.

. To be honest none of us are yet being held back by our cars that I can see - maybe Matt is getting close at HD with his GT3 and Paul will eventually with the 993 but I still think there is plenty more in it for me you Doug and the others - even those like Pete with his race car are still learning to get the most from it.

Don't give up yet John. There's still another 2 seconds to be found with Herman - you have all the foundations in place and you can be an extremely quick driver - if that's what you put your mind too!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Matt - very interesting comparison. Here's 2 laps of mine from Sat (blue/green) and a reference lap from Feb (red). The reference isn't my quickest but demonstrates what these cars are capable of around turn 1. I'm feeling confident around the high speed corners (1 & 10) but have bad habit of braking too early and too much in the slower hairpins. Top speed on the green lap must be a GPS aberration
Very interesting, thanks for the screenshots. I've got to brake less in T1 and T10 about 12-15kmh slower on these 2 turns at the end of braking, everywhere else seems to be similar. So braking in those areas seem to be work ons

Haven't worked out what's wrong with my car, when I turned up with a trailer Sunday morning, it started fine and drove onto trailer. Was awesome meeting everyone who tracked on Saturday.
Trying to work out when I can get out next.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
When do we get to go for a look before its settled then? Pretty keen if you have time.
This coming weekend?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911
Very interesting, thanks for the screenshots. I've got to brake less in T1 and T10 about 12-15kmh slower on these 2 turns at the end of braking, everywhere else seems to be similar. So braking in those areas seem to be work ons

Haven't worked out what's wrong with my car, when I turned up with a trailer Sunday morning, it started fine and drove onto trailer. Was awesome meeting everyone who tracked on Saturday.
Trying to work out when I can get out next.
Early 911 trying to go as fast as a 44 around corners

Could be good spectator value

What are your HD times down to now??
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

John. That might be true for some around here but I've never been to the same race track twice in my life so I'm no way near the diminishing returns stakes. I will be sticking with the 993 on the track till I'm giving the faster cars a reason to get nervous. Only when I'm confident it's the car holding me back will I repaint it, retire it and replace it on track with the GT3. Plenty to learn first. . To be honest none of us are yet being held back by our cars that I can see - maybe Matt is getting close at HD with his GT3 and Paul will eventually with the 993 but I still think there is plenty more in it for me you Doug and the others - even those like Pete with his race car are still learning to get the most from it. Don't give up yet John. There's still another 2 seconds to be found with Herman - you have all the foundations in place and you can be an extremely quick driver - if that's what you put your mind too!
None of us have reached the ultimate, even Steve was chasing the sub 1.13 round at HD. However, the stars have to align to best the 1.19.50 set by Steve in Herman. The common factor with the decision to take it easier on our cars seems to be the incremental car wear when operating on the edge of the envelope. Rather than beating up cars at increasing cost the smart move is to move to racing. In the meantime Herman can circulate at more moderate pace just in case Lola breaks out
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Early 911 trying to go as fast as a 44 around corners Could be good spectator value What are your HD times down to now??
Didn't move much, only had one dry session. Which was still high 21s the wet ones were fun, although had to work harder when it was dry. I was driving still like it was wet if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?