Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, I was out at Puke and listened to Steve talk about being kind on cars.

It sounded like a conversation I had about landing small planes a while back which favoured a high nose up attitude on the basis a scraped tail was cheaper than a broken prop if you got it wrong.

Steve's analogy was the use of gears to slow cars being a lot more expensive than brakes. Equally ensuring high cornering speed is cheaper than a heavy accelerator and running at high revs on the straights.

Steve is relatively brutal in his race cars but I suspect is easier on cars than many of us. He didn't thrash Herman to get 1.19.50.

I have footage in my videos of Graeme piloting his Fraser around Teretonga and Highlands. I suspect we would all benefit from more time in a lower powered car.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John.

I 100% agree with Steve on the gearbox/brakes analogy. Of course Ive known this a long time, but often the reality doesn't get home till it hits your wallet. May also explain why Ive never come close to running out of brakes! I had a real think about that and decided when the gearbox is fixed Ill use my brakes more. Ive upgraded those too so hopefully staved off any future weakness there.

I don't doubt Steve is right re the high revs on the straight thing. That's next up on my list no doubt, engine rebuild (for many other reasons not just the high revs on the straights!). Unfortunately with such a relatively underpowered car its all too easy to run to the limiter instead of short shifting at peak torque and adding an additional gear shift. I have to confess I learnt the run to the limiter thing form Paul at Teretonga. I asked him how he was handling the inside S after the long sweeper at the end of the front straight. He said he was hitting the limiter on the apex. I was changing up to 4th then down to 3rd. Pauls way sounded easier so I just ran it in 3rd all the way and bounded the limiter. Did the same at every track on the SITT bar Highlands. At Teretonga was hitting the limiter in 4th end of front straight. At Ruapuna the inside Ss before the lefty into the corkscrew and somewhere else Ive forgotten. Then I remembered Paul had murdered his engine last year LOL! So I made a mental note to add 500 rpm to the rev limiter when the engine is build, get some more mid range torque, lift the cams to 2.2mm to raise the peak lb/hp and make really good friends with my engine builder!

In all seriousness tho, both suggestions by Steve are spot on. Thats why he's Yoda. Unfortunately many of us are Luke. Trying too hard I suspect.

Lastly - too right re the small lightweight cars teaching you what you need to know and smoothness. I came away from SITT with an itch for a S1 Elise. There was one there running nicely in stock trim, he was consistently only 2-3s slower than me at most of the tracks.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Nik. I believe 8 cars including mine. Three delivered and registered back in Jan and another four that arrived in March which are not registered. Mine is - so 4 registered and four not registered. It seems highly unlikely there will be any further delivery of 991 GT3 to NZ now until Sept. The factory has stated they will replace engines in order of production with those at the factory held back until last. They are producing 40 a day but only able to release half that number as believe (not confirmed by PAg) each engine is being wet run 1000km to stress test it before it is released. Rumour has it the whole GT3 development team have been putting stress test miles on Porsches tracks with these new engines 24/7 since the component in question was replaced.

Of course then there is the logistics of moving many hundred of 200kg engines around the world by air! Porsche cant afford a mistake this time so I expect these engines "should" be some of the most reliable product the factory has ever produced! Here's hoping. Fitting time is estimated at 1.5 days labour but lets say two days to be sure. Its a fairly simple hook up job but requires the evacuation of coolant and fluids and a number of under-body and rear bumper components and covers to be removed. The transmission gets dropped with the engine naturally then split. Its a big component as seen below. If my aircooled takes 8-10 hours to drop the engine/gearbox and bolt it back up this job will take a bit longer as more ancillaries to remove.

No firm time frame for replacement engines but one would expect the first 3-4 engines should makes NZ in late May with those cars being on the road by early June with the balance to flow 2-3 weeks after that. Id expect all the NZ cars to be in the road by end of July but again speculation.

As you will see on the other board compensation has been a difficult topic to establish equality. Obviously every customers circumstances are different and so there will be a fair bit of variation between clients. For those who have had delivered, registered and used their car before the recall its generally recognised that a loan vehicle and loss of use consideration of 5500 GBP till end of April and 1.5K GBP pro rata for each month thereafter is acceptable. For the average client with a car delivered id suggest that would equate to 7500 GBP as a cash rebate.
Interesting. Thanks for your reply.
Is that your car with the engine removed?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No. The picture was taken in Europe IIRC.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Herman is about to tick over 12,000 km travelled in the 9 months since July 2013. In that time he has been driven 19 days at the track. Some of it intense and some light (Regularity trials). While he's running sweetly now, I know I'm using component lifetime with each run. It would just be nice to have a clear period with low expenses. I'm helping that by halting the discretionary spend. He runs fast enough now and I'm happy with the reliability, look and driving dynamics. Unless Lola does a sub 1.19.50....
Sounds like a target :-P

I find talk away from the track easy. In that vein I plan to take it easy and drive sedately like Lola's previous owner. Until I'm actually on the track and chasing or fending someone off anyway. Ha ha
Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Sounds like a target :-P

I find talk away from the track easy. In that vein I plan to take it easy and drive sedately like Lola's previous owner. Until I'm actually on the track and chasing or fending someone off anyway. Ha ha
Sedately? Did I make it look that easy?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. You don't need to change anything. Just fit Z221 and you will go sub 1.20! David was always soul surfing - why else use aged track rubber for sideways effect? If a bald black fella with lennon glasses comes up to you before the next HD day and offers you a red or a blue pill take the blue pill and you will go hard.....
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

....and hopefully faster!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
You mean you weren't trying
Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Ahem, well you cared for her.... Didn't thrash the ring out of her. At least that's what I thought you told me.

Doug. You don't need to change anything. Just fit Z221 and you will go sub 1.20! David was always soul surfing - why else use aged track rubber for sideways effect? If a bald black fella with lennon glasses comes up to you before the next HD day and offers you a red or a blue pill take the blue pill and you will go hard.....
....and hopefully faster!
Heh, I've got spare rubber for sale http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...?member=312744
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ahem, well you cared for her.... Didn't thrash the ring out of her. At least that's what I thought you told me.

Heh, I've got spare rubber for sale http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...?member=312744
That is actually true. I always said I was never in this gambit for lap times, just maximum fun. Always short shifted on the straights, well matched heel and toe down shifts at sensible revs but corners were fair game. That's why I had full confidence in the kerbside warranty i gave Lola.
If all goes to plan, my old orange thing will add 25% to the fun factor and I could actually be slower? What?
Throw some skinnier tyres on and come and join my party down the back.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have footage in my videos of Graeme piloting his Fraser around Teretonga and Highlands. I suspect we would all benefit from more time in a lower powered car
Since we were the only car running double duty for the whole week we needed to make sure we got to the end. So the agreed rules were no 2nd gear in any corner, (anybody with gear change issues its normally second right?) and 6000 rev limit. George had to get reined in over revving on the straight at Teretonga and I have to confess a few times I ran to 6500 but never did use second, even out of the tight right hand infield hairpin at Levels. Just had to be smooth as possible and not worry that second gear might be half a car length quicker.

There is nothing like losing 5-7 car lengths on the straights to focus the mind on smooth and accurate cornering to try to catch the 993,996 and 997 boys on the corners.

Tell you what though if the engine ever needs to be opened up its going to get some mods haha. I'm not competitive...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

That is actually true. I always said I was never in this gambit for lap times, just maximum fun. Always short shifted on the straights, well matched heel and toe down shifts at sensible revs but corners were fair game. That's why I had full confidence in the kerbside warranty i gave Lola. If all goes to plan, my old orange thing will add 25% to the fun factor and I could actually be slower? What? Throw some skinnier tyres on and come and join my party down the back.
On the SITT I took a set of road tyres for the track. I was slow but it was great fun. Less grip let me really feel the car. Steve reckoned it is a great way to get the measure of the cars handling and experience with it on the edge before adding giant grip. The few times I've accidentally redlined/hit or neared the rev limiter I don't like it (usually alongside John heading for a corner). 24 year old engine, can't be good for her. I'm not really that interested in lap times at the expense of shortening her life. I think it's why I love quick and slow road trips.... You just can't do the same level of thrashing the car but you experience it's soul, noise, roughness and the pleasure that comes with all of this in beautiful NZ scenery.

My son, after "looking after" Lola in Wellington for 2 weeks for me (could not believe his luck) said getting back into his Mazda back here in Auckland was like "driving in cream" by comparison. Ha, even the power steering on a 964 can be hard work :-)

Dave, you are going to have a hell of a lot of Urban Outlaw like driving fun.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cbnz
What happened to that green 968 racecar that Steve was looking after?

It was in Steve's shed at Hampton Downs a few weeks ago
Thanks Craig. I don't know too much about the car but it looked the part and I think it was for sale. Be perfect for Paul to do some diving on S2's...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
Since we were the only car running double duty for the whole week we needed to make sure we got to the end. So the agreed rules were no 2nd gear in any corner, (anybody with gear change issues its normally second right?) and 6000 rev limit. George had to get reined in over revving on the straight at Teretonga and I have to confess a few times I ran to 6500 but never did use second, even out of the tight right hand infield hairpin at Levels. Just had to be smooth as possible and not worry that second gear might be half a car length quicker. There is nothing like losing 5-7 car lengths on the straights to focus the mind on smooth and accurate cornering to try to catch the 993,996 and 997 boys on the corners. Tell you what though if the engine ever needs to be opened up its going to get some mods haha. I'm not competitive...
Very sensible conservation plan Graeme. Everyone always wants more power, right?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?