Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:57 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of brakes, what do most folks use for rotors? I'm a bit confused by the difference between genuine Porsche, and OEM, and whether it really matters. Do you guys use Sebro or Zimmerman or what? Needless to say my indy says only genuine Porsche...
I don't want to compromise in anything to do with brakes.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
On the SITT I took a set of road tyres for the track. I was slow but it was great fun. Less grip let me really feel the car. Steve reckoned it is a great way to get the measure of the cars handling and experience with it on the edge before adding giant grip. The few times I've accidentally redlined/hit or neared the rev limiter I don't like it (usually alongside John heading for a corner). 24 year old engine, can't be good for her. I'm not really that interested in lap times at the expense of shortening her life. I think it's why I love quick and slow road trips.... You just can't do the same level of thrashing the car but you experience it's soul, noise, roughness and the pleasure that comes with all of this in beautiful NZ scenery.

My son, after "looking after" Lola in Wellington for 2 weeks for me (could not believe his luck) said getting back into his Mazda back here in Auckland was like "driving in cream" by comparison. Ha, even the power steering on a 964 can be hard work :-)

Dave, you are going to have a hell of a lot of Urban Outlaw like driving fun.
Yes, I have become addicted to Magnus Walker and co on Youtube. There is a lot of the short story me and my car vids coming out that are well shot and characterise the Pcar following in the states well. Left hand drive, canyon carving, long gear shifter travel, no trans tunnel, skinny tyres, even widened steelies look great. Can't wait. I have to confess that on Saturday I went out and got a smart TV's so I could watch them on the big screen via iPad linkup. You can queue the vids for hours of pleasure.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Tell you what though if the engine ever needs to be opened up its going to get some mods haha. I'm not competitive...
Welcome to the 7/10th's club
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Speaking of brakes, what do most folks use for rotors? I'm a bit confused by the difference between genuine Porsche, and OEM, and whether it really matters. Do you guys use Sebro or Zimmerman or what? Needless to say my indy says only genuine Porsche...
I don't want to compromise in anything to do with brakes.
No expert here, but I believe the red car had Zimmerman rotors. The came to me already on the car and well used and I went through 2.5 sets of pads and one skimming. as far as I know Doug has carried on with them riding under the new Endless pads. They were really good. I imagine genuine rotors are even better though.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

too right Doug,
Also nothing like no power anything (steer, brakes,) to really feel whats happening to the car and that's what is good about the older cars - and the fraser. Added to that the lightness means that it doesn't feel inclined to bite when or if things do get a bit hairy. I reckon this is what you feel with between your older vs newer cars
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Sounds like a target :-P I find talk away from the track easy. In that vein I plan to take it easy and drive sedately like Lola's previous owner. Until I'm actually on the track and chasing or fending someone off anyway. Ha ha
Based on the SITT I suspect we would have to start very close together to be dicing it up on a Playday session as we're talking minimal lap time differences, so fending or chasing would be a conscious decision on one or both of our parts. That's the beauty of the AIM Solo - you don't need to compete wheel to wheel to know if you're improving. For my part I'm determined to break 1.19.50 at least once this season. Based on last year it will be a first session run on a cold morning that sees the best times.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Since we were the only car running double duty for the whole week we needed to make sure we got to the end. So the agreed rules were no 2nd gear in any corner, (anybody with gear change issues its normally second right?) and 6000 rev limit. George had to get reined in over revving on the straight at Teretonga and I have to confess a few times I ran to 6500 but never did use second, even out of the tight right hand infield hairpin at Levels. Just had to be smooth as possible and not worry that second gear might be half a car length quicker.

There is nothing like losing 5-7 car lengths on the straights to focus the mind on smooth and accurate cornering to try to catch the 993,996 and 997 boys on the corners.

Tell you what though if the engine ever needs to be opened up its going to get some mods haha. I'm not competitive...
You drove well Graeme and the car lasted.

Apart from the weight it must certainly benefit the handling that your CoG is 500mm closer to the ground than in a typical 911. I watched you corner and compared to us you were totally flat! It cornered faster than anything in our group....
Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
No expert here, but I believe the red car had Zimmerman rotors. The came to me already on the car and well used and I went through 2.5 sets of pads and one skimming. as far as I know Doug has carried on with them riding under the new Endless pads. They were really good. I imagine genuine rotors are even better though.
So you had no issues on the track with stopping?

Anyone else got a view on rotors?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Based on the SITT I suspect we would have to start very close together to be dicing it up on a Playday session as we're talking minimal lap time differences, so fending or chasing would be a conscious decision on one or both of our parts. That's the beauty of the AIM Solo - you don't need to compete wheel to wheel to know if you're improving. For my part I'm determined to break 1.19.50 at least once this season. Based on last year it will be a first session run on a cold morning that sees the best times.
I still dont understand that. I find I get faster and faster during the day. Im sure a fuel tank emptying itself during track duty is partly helping (weight wise). Maybe its the fact I've driven every track in NZ....once LOL!

I reckon there's a nice little bit of sparring brewing behind the 993's there. Doug stepping up to Hankooks for the next serious HD session will be interesting times in the Herman household.

John. If you need to find another 0.5s in case Doug gets serious then I suggestion that modification I told you would have a sure fire result to your lap times 100% guaranteed.

Prestigio!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

So you had no issues on the track with stopping?

Anyone else got a view on rotors?
Check out the 964 board for feedback on Zimmerman rotors. I recall researching this for 993 and the consensus was teh factory rotors were of better quality than after market for not alot more $$$. That said I know a number of UK and German guys who use after-market drilled rotors on the 964 for track work and swear by then with SFR and race pads (dont warp when stationary as holes allow gas to escape etc). "Drilled" rotors certainly look better but for all out track work Im guessing slotted are probably more durable...
Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

So you had no issues on the track with stopping? Anyone else got a view on rotors?
I have yet to run out of brakes on the 964. No idea what rotors are on the car, but biggest confidence comes from SRF fluid. Brembo pads seem to be holding up well.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I still dont understand that. I find I get faster and faster during the day. Im sure a fuel tank emptying itself during track duty is partly helping (weight wise). Maybe its the fact I've driven every track in NZ....once LOL! I reckon there's a nice little bit of sparring brewing behind the 993's there. Doug stepping up to Hankooks for the next serious HD session will be interesting times in the Herman household. John. If you need to find another 0.5s in case Doug gets serious then I suggestion that modification I told you would have a sure fire result to your lap times 100% guaranteed. Prestigio!
Herman will be doing his own thing most of the time. However, if Lola turns up in Z221s then it won't be to run at 7/10ths so we'll see how fast she can go and whether Herman can keep up. I suspect he has a 1.19 in him with the new suspension and WOT microswitch fixed. All will evolve in the next few months, Prestigio or not.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Macca weight (lack of) definitely helps a lot. Car can be set up softer but still not roll very much. Disadvantage relatively speaking though is that unsprung weight relative to total mass is more hence inboard shocks to get unsprung even lower.

The very short wheel base means any rotation over steer can be quite quick. In the dry you can feel the steering weight change (no power steer) before your bum feels the oversteer so its manageable.
But in the wet its very snappy - hard to turn in with no weight on the front so understeer and then snap oversteer. Its not much fun in the wet anyway with no lid or screen
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

re rotors
Not sure about fitment for different Pcars but I use DBA slotted on Targa car. I think 5000 on front and 4000 on rear. They take an absolute pounding and have paint stripes so you can see what temps you have achieved at max heat. Drilled rotors will have cracked between the holes well before the slotted rotors need to be replaced. DBA also cheaper than Brembo/AP equivalent
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Those dba rotors look really impressive. Made downunder too and with Porsche fitments (at least for front rotors). I think these would be worth trying for the RSG track enthusiast.

http://www.dba.com.au/wp-content/upl...E_2014_v2b.pdf

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?