That link does work :-)

Doug's concentration face is Satanic!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Great style.

I just bought a tonne of vintage style race suit patches to have sewn onto my white & blue Sparco for a bit of fun. I already drive at the track with old school leather (possum leather) driving gloves made by a crowd on the WestCoast.

http://www.treddriving.com/driving_gloves

I have a number of pairs of these in fairly crazy colour combos but must confess have ruined a pair on the 2012 targa and another on the SITT so start to use my modern Sparco driving cloves I bought but never took out of the bag....

Anyway heres my favourite patch purchase. I think it will go breast front and centre....Im sure you will approve Dave...
Funny, Im just about to order one of these:

http://racingshirt.net/product/sex-b...-of-champions/
Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave, this is what I'm expecting from you when your car is finished:

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2014/04/911-onboard/

No pressure!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Dave, this is what I'm expecting from you when your car is finished:

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2014/04/911-onboard/

No pressure!
That is spectacular for sure. They can really make those early cars fly. The SWB probably increases the drama. I've no experience with torsion bar 911's to date other than road driving so am looking forward to finding out what they are like on track
Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Michael. Beautiful driving. Perfectly executed heel & toe. Also driving for engine/gearbox longevity (short shifting and double clutching). Love it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, that gear changing is so far from my ability it might as well be rocket science. I think I'm still unlearning bad habits from 10 years in an old Ford Laser with a badly adjusted clutch.

Thanks for the stories from the SITT. Loved the one about Matt!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Way to go - 63 laps is one heck of a way to lose ones HD virginity!!

I think there will be a few of us out on the 19th - I'll be there with a matching "Potenza" banner which will date the last time our cars raced in anger! Have you booked for the general car group?

Be interested in what sort of lap times you managed first time out - from memory that car was pretty capable.
Got down to high 21s not really sure how that sits, but was pretty pleased with how the day went, steady improvement all day. I had a passenger all day too. I've booked into the general group for the 19th.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hi Ridgeline 911, tell me a bit more about the car, have you just recently got hold of it? What are the specs?
Hi, I bought it about a month ago, just been getting it registered and all fluids changed. Don't think it's been used much for a few years. I bought it to setup for targa this year.

Pretty standard 3.2 engine. SSIs and a chip.
Was raced in bridgestone series, did well in 2008.
It's got fox dampers, and adjustable sway bars. Weighed 1050kg before the lights and passenger seat and belts went back in.
And an additional 964 oil cooler in the front right wheel well.
Just the basics to keep it less stressed.

Mark
Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Great style.

I just bought a tonne of vintage style race suit patches to have sewn onto my white & blue Sparco for a bit of fun. I already drive at the track with old school leather (possum leather) driving gloves made by a crowd on the WestCoast.

http://www.treddriving.com/driving_gloves

I have a number of pairs of these in fairly crazy colour combos but must confess have ruined a pair on the 2012 targa and another on the SITT so start to use my modern Sparco driving cloves I bought but never took out of the bag....

Anyway heres my favourite patch purchase. I think it will go breast front and centre....Im sure you will approve Dave...
I take it you would recommend their gloves then? How do you buy them, it doesn't really seem online friendly.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Drop Ray Pierson (the owner) and email on raymark@xtra.co.nz to order.
I have been buying leather driving gloves for a while now (Italy & USA) and these are very nice for the money. They are thin but strong. I used a brand new set for the SITT including the touring and the Waipu pre drive and they are on their last 35% now. Thats almost 100 hrs of driving. Track driving destroys them quickly but Ive found a set of these should last a number of years if just used for weekend drives etc...

Here they are at Levels in Timaru after 5 laps with me chasing Steve chasing a supercharged Evora....
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

great pics John, thx for the effort
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
mjg
Pro

I thought I had a shot of that from another angle, but it's a different (dark) lead car...
Name:  DSC_1805.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  983.5 KB
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
I thought I had a shot of that from another angle, but it's a different (dark) lead car...
That was before the 'Robber's dog' overtaking manoeuvre!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911
Hi, I bought it about a month ago, just been getting it registered and all fluids changed. Don't think it's been used much for a few years. I bought it to setup for targa this year.

Pretty standard 3.2 engine. SSIs and a chip.
Was raced in bridgestone series, did well in 2008.
It's got fox dampers, and adjustable sway bars. Weighed 1050kg before the lights and passenger seat and belts went back in.
And an additional 964 oil cooler in the front right wheel well.
Just the basics to keep it less stressed.

Mark
Hi Mark,
I was following that one for a while with a view to purchase. Comes from Nelson? I love the spec. My plan was to turn it back to a roadie but got sidetracked by a 964. It's a great colour underneath for an 80's carrera.
Dave.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
That was before the 'Robber's dog' overtaking manoeuvre!
In my defence my in car footage supports what I thought was happening at the time. Steve pulls to the left, waves me through as we are about to hit the tight stuff before the sweeper onto the front straight in order that I can overtake the slower car holding us both up. I was at least as quick at Steve through the tight stuff over the tour but he was faster down the straights so at the time my logical thoughts were "hes let me through to take the car in-front and will overtake me on the straight to resume the lead". You have a copy of the video John.

Actually (apparently) what happened was I was being fist waved at for my overtaking manoeuvre which was deemed inappropriate and cheeky (it was cheeky!).

My misunderstanding was genuine as demonstrated when I got out of my car and when and shook Steves hand to thank him for allowing me to move on the black C2 back marker. Mmmm. That didnt go down so well!

I think I may have taken the Jedi course a bit literally “Do or do not. There is no try.”

Ill chalk it up to inexperience. My 6th ever track day - being the least experienced in the group. Im also impatient. Call that a personality flaw! Lastly I miss judged how competitive and serious it can be out there!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Macca; 04-07-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?