Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
Hi,

Bit confused with your question so will answer more than what you are asking;

The exhaust was purchased direct from AWE in the US in December and I imported it.

The car was sold new in NZ. It was the subject of a court battle to get it registered as it's LHD and this in turn led to the commencement of the current special interest vehicle system. Therefore it is officially NZ new.

A friend of mine purchased it from the original owner and then I purchased it from him in 2012. It has always been serviced at CCS since the day it arrived and in fact Tony Elsmore from CCS has done a large proportion of the Kms in it.

It has been on the track before with the previous owner in Taupo. They saw some very big speeds down the main straight! I will definitely take it on track at some stage and as I have new tyres being fitted at present some track time will happen some time this year. With the old tyres it was trying to kill you each time you gave it a prod on the gas pedal........
Thanks Matt.

Just out of interest is this your only Porsche or do you have others. Without you getting too personal, just curious why you chose the CGT.

They are obviously not an insignificant investment and you could own a lot of fine machinery. I actually don't know what one of these things are worth, but I'd imagine you have the choice of most super cars.

If it was me I'd probably take a serious look at an F40 and/or 73 2.7 RS, but this is my taste, and others will have different views again. If you don't mind me asking - why did you pick the CGT? It's not a loaded question - just curious on your views.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'll be keen - let me know the dates etc.
The flag marshals will need to look much further down the track and learn to wave them earlier so we can get out of your way.

14moving road cones - could be fun for you......

Matt - it's the weekend of 13/14 Sept.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
The flag marshals will need to look much further down the track and learn to wave them earlier so we can get out of your way. 14moving road cones - could be fun for you...... Matt - it's the weekend of 13/14 Sept. .
13th Sep marks my 911 ownership 1yr anniversary. Would be a fitting way to celebrate.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Matt.

Just out of interest is this your only Porsche or do you have others. Without you getting too personal, just curious why you chose the CGT.

They are obviously not an insignificant investment and you could own a lot of fine machinery. I actually don't know what one of these things are worth, but I'd imagine you have the choice of most super cars.

If it was me I'd probably take a serious look at an F40 and/or 73 2.7 RS, but this is my taste, and others will have different views again. If you don't mind me asking - why did you pick the CGT? It's not a loaded question - just curious on your views.
I have had a couple of other Porsches in the past. My first was a 996 Turbo which I loved. Up until mid last year I had a 997 GT3 that had been modified a bit. That was a great track day car. I sold that for a 458 which has since gone as well.

I actually have a F40 in the shed which is a great deal of fun. Others includ a M3 CSL, Audi RS2, Walkinshaw Group A (1988) as well as a M5 as a daily driver.

I would love a 73 RS and am actually looking at a couple next week in England - just looking though as I can't afford one at the moment.

I picked the CGT for a number of reasons;

1/. It is a work of art. No other car has the carbon fibre detail and it is the last ever super car with a manual transmission. Things like inboard suspension make it very special
2/. I've been told mine is the only one in NZ and the only road registered one thought NZ and Australia so that is cool
3/. I think they will appreciate over the next few years as the world moves to more "digital" super cars, so I think the demand for old school manuals and clutches will improve.

It is also an epic drive!

Nearly forgot - I've got a McLaren P1 arriving at the end of the year as well. This will be a good comparison to the F40 (very basic super car) and CGT (best analogue super car)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I have had a couple of other Porsches in the past. My first was a 996 Turbo which I loved. Up until mid last year I had a 997 GT3 that had been modified a bit. That was a great track day car. I sold that for a 458 which has since gone as well.

I actually have a F40 in the shed which is a great deal of fun. Others includ a M3 CSL, Audi RS2, Walkinshaw Group A (1988) as well as a M5 as a daily driver.

I would love a 73 RS and am actually looking at a couple next week in England - just looking though as I can't afford one at the moment.

1/. It is a work of art. No other car has the carbon fibre detail and it is the last ever super car with a manual transmission. Things like inboard suspension make it very special
2/. I've been told mine is the only one in NZ and the only road registered one thought NZ and Australia so that is cool
3/. I think they will appreciate over the next few years as the world moves to more "digital" super cars, so I think the demand for old school manuals and clutches will improve.

Nearly forgot - I've got a McLaren P1 arriving at the end of the year as well. This will be a good comparison to the F40 (very basic super car) and CGT (best analogue super car)
Speachless........

You are a lucky chap...

Was your F40 at the festival, or are there 3 of them in NZ?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM
O2GO
Drifting

The flag marshals will need to look much further down the track and learn to wave them earlier so we can get out of your way. 14moving road cones - could be fun for you...... Matt - it's the weekend of 13/14 Sept. .
I'd be keen to park up for a session to let Matt have the track to himself and watch from the sidelines. Matt, this event is part of a two track, annual three day Rennsport Gruppe (RSG) "North Island Track Tour". We got to Taupo and, if we can get 15 to commit, Manfield as well. Last year was the first and it was great.

Would be epic to have you there. There is also an exotic group. Last year there was a black Mclaren as part of that. It's usually comprising GT3s that aren't part of RSG and Nissan GTRs, and the like.

We have a special arrangement with Prestigio that gives us cover while at the track with larger excesses and rules about the max number of cars on the track at once, previous driver training etc. No doubt you have pretty special insurance for these machines :-)
Old 03-05-2014, 03:10 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Complete epic-ness! Sounds like we need to Extend the Sept trip to view your garage
Old 03-05-2014, 03:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
We have a special arrangement with Prestigio that gives us cover while at the track with larger excesses and rules about the max number of cars on the track at once, previous driver training etc. No doubt you have pretty special insurance for these machines :-)
Would be an interesting conversation with Prestigeo as the cover as a limit of $300k, more than enough for the rest of us, but not going to cover much CGT??
Old 03-05-2014, 03:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Doug and Macca, 1 litre of liquid gold.

Macca, Doug and I will take 1/2 a litre each as Doug has an empty bottle. If you or someone else needs some to top up after a bleed, then we can work it out at the time. The important thing is that we have a supply.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna

I'd be keen to park up for a session to let Matt have the track to himself and watch from the sidelines.
+1 on that, would be awesome to watch and hear.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Liquid and automotive gold

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, Doug and I will take 1/2 a litre each as Doug has an empty bottle. If you or someone else needs some to top up after a bleed, then we can work it out at the time. The important thing is that we have a supply.
Hey John/Doug, pencil me in for a potential top up on the May Targa Tour. Maybe they just needed all of it to flush out the RBF600 but I got none back from the workshop.

Reminds me of the scene at the Targa Tour briefing where a box of Nulon Octane booster briefly saw some sunlight before being spirited away behind a wall of minders!

MJH, like your taste in cars. One of my all-time greatest automotive memories is of walking alone in the Swiss countryside back in 1991 and having an F40 monster the little T-intersection I was at. The awe hasn't abated - took my 3 year old last year to check out the one that was briefly up in the Ferrari showroom here in Auckland and they were the highlight of the HD Ferrari festival for us too.

That said, my 996T is pretty much the younger sister to the 959 I lusted after as a kid and even after almost 4 years of ownership I still find myself detouring past a window at work to check her out in the car park.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

Well done John. Good work!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A CGT is top spot on my top 10 of all time list (M3 CSL is on there too!). I would buy that over any other car ever made personally. Haven't been a major McLaren fan myself in the past however watching Chris Harris on the P1 makes me think it's a tad bad ***!

Who had an RS2 first, you or RS Zwei?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
PHG
Racer

Great evening at Uncles Paul . . perfect weather
2 x 996TT and 1 x 997TT, plus the usual rice buckets .. quite a small field so had unlimited track time really.
John, you r right, those Z221 things grip to the point where you get cocky..actually hung the tail out on T2 when they finally let go. Yr cold pressures BTW were 28 front, 29 back.. I drove down there with 36/35 and lowered them after first session to 33 front, 35 back which got rid of the wiggles and understeer. They were over well 40 after 1 short session. No fun on the roads tho' loud and very directional.. I think good road tyres for the SITT given the milage you are all doing..envious...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Great evening at Uncles Paul . . perfect weather
2 x 996TT and 1 x 997TT, plus the usual rice buckets .. quite a small field so had unlimited track time really.
Bugger...........

Glad you had fun. I don't think my car would have quite been ready.

Just drove past Stu's now on my way to the airport and had a peep. All the suspension is in, just waiting on a replacement tire.

Car is looking much better with new ride height. Look forward to driving with new suspension, chip and bushes. Should go quite well for a 'family car'.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?