Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yip. I came across the HTMMM (Ho Tire Marble Manufacturing Machine) in exactly the same place John. We need to convince him to invest in some stickier tyres and lighter shoes....
Old 09-20-2013, 09:06 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Macca, what made you choose the SP4 over the other variants? Do you know if they will cover them without "Border" written across the top?

John, have you seen this inspiration for your man cave aspirations? http://12-gaugegarage.com
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the opportunity to take a Ferrari California for a drive this morning... Didn't say no!! Absolutely mental - razor sharp turn in, gorgeous noise - loads of drama. Huge on the outside and small on the inside - way too many buttons and levers and gizmos but still couldn't work the park brake.

Wouldn't buy one but glad to have had the opportunity to drive it.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
John, have you seen this inspiration for your man cave aspirations? http://12-gaugegarage.com
Very nice but a little cramped.

When is Mr. Blue coming back out to play?

It goes against my nature to take tyres with lots of tread off the car, but the S03s are 11 years old and feel a bit hard. Time to fit the Michelins I bought last December. Put its seats back in, a new pressure switch and its all go for the 2nd. I need the extra power to stay ahead of Rudolph Ho
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca, what made you choose the SP4 over the other variants? Do you know if they will cover them without "Border" written across the top?

Jason. I ordered the SP5. Mainly because it had a taller back and wider base. It was also well priced not being FIA approved. The SP4 is the one to have (FIA approved and a direct copy of the original Recaro Pole Position) - but at the time they didn't make it in carbon. More importantly for me with a classic grey interior, they would not make it in the leather I supplied them (as an FIA seat has to generally be made of fire retardant nomex material).

Ive been very happy with my seats. Ultimately I would like Recaro PP in classic grey leather/alacantera but I suspect that will be a long time coming and alot of $$$$...
Old 09-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Very nice but a little cramped.

It goes against my nature to take tyres with lots of tread off the car, but the S03s are 11 years old and feel a bit hard. Time to fit the Michelins I bought last December. Put its seats back in, a new pressure switch and its all go for the 2nd. I need the extra power to stay ahead of Rudolph Ho
John. Whats happening on the 2nd that requires the Turbo?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Blue has been getting a bit of a leg stretch but has a very slow oil leak from the tank to thermostat pipe. Bit of a big job $ wise so waiting til I've paid my barrister off to tackle it. Not sure if I should take it to the track like that.
I would like Recaro PP
Me too, in black leather with blue stitching. Just off to get my Lotto ticket.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Had the opportunity to take a Ferrari California for a drive this morning... Didn't say no!! Absolutely mental - razor sharp turn in, gorgeous noise - loads of drama. Huge on the outside and small on the inside - way too many buttons and levers and gizmos but still couldn't work the park brake.

Wouldn't buy one but glad to have had the opportunity to drive it.
Great experience Pete. How did you find the gearbox?

The California is the "baby" or entry level of the Fezza range. Some say its an ugly car. Its namesake (250) was one of the most gorgeous cars of its time.

Shame about the connotations of owning a Fiat in NZ. They are a lot too conspicuous for my liking. Also the community around them isnt like for our Beetles. That said I can see myself owning something older one day just to scratch the itch. Maybe a 328, 348 or a 355....
Old 09-21-2013, 03:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

John. Whats happening on the 2nd that requires the Turbo?
Next Playday. Actually trying to convince my wife to drive the Turbo to HD so I can run both cars.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Mr Blue has been getting a bit of a leg stretch but has a very slow oil leak from the tank to thermostat pipe. Bit of a big job $ wise so waiting til I've paid my barrister off to tackle it. Not sure if I should take it to the track like
The small pipes around the tank are quite reasonably priced. The three long pipes down that side of the car are less so e.g $565 from Steve R for the filter to tank pipe. I have the Tshirt as I've replaced all but two of the oil system pipes. Btw I agree that it wouldn't be wise to run with leaks in front of the rear tyre.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

What is it with 964's & oil leaks?

John. My advice (not that you asked LOL) - I would stick with the 964 C4 as you are only just getting right with it on the track. I shouldn't think chopping and changing cars would be much good for your times...
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great experience Pete. How did you find the gearbox?

The California is the "baby" or entry level of the Fezza range. Some say its an ugly car. Its namesake (250) was one of the most gorgeous cars of its time.
On the relatively short drive up and down the motorway plus a bit of around town driving it was a beaut. Started in auto and went quickly to the paddles - nice blip on the downshifts - it certainly lets you know exactly what you are driving. At about $450k for a new one its a big 'baby.' but for a lotto F car it would be 458 for me.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What is it with 964's & oil leaks?

John. My advice (not that you asked LOL) - I would stick with the 964 C4 as you are only just getting right with it on the track. I shouldn't think chopping and changing cars would be much good for your times...
Lots of pipes and clips on the 964. The oldest cars are coming up 24 years old and things wear out. The 993s time will come soon!

Running the Turbo 3.6 is more about stretching its legs. I really want to see what it will do out of those slow corners, it has a lot of torque. It also loves hills. That said I don't want to run it for 6 or 7 sessions. That's why I'm thinking of running two cars on the day.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Must say the 458 is me. If it were PowerBall have to be the new 458 "Speciale". They say that's the car that will beat the 991 GT3 and take on the 991 GT3RS. Cant even imagine how much they would be in NZ so Id parallel import one!

Ive not tried the paddle shift. I drove with a friend on Sunday after the tour who has a 360 paddle and swears by it. I do like the idea of the blip on downshift. Makes heel/toe redundant...
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Lots of pipes and clips on the 964. The oldest cars are coming up 24 years old and things wear out. The 993s time will come soon!

Running the Turbo 3.6 is more about stretching its legs. I really want to see what it will do out of those slow corners, it has a lot of torque. It also loves hills. That said I don't want to run it for 6 or 7 sessions. That's why I'm thinking of running two cars on the day.
John. 964's were leaking oil when they were new!

Good idea to get the 3.6 out for a run as I think its been laid up a while now.

You already have the 996TT experience to tell you what 420 bhp and 400lbft+ torque is like out of the slow corners...

Dont expect to be much/any quicker. I believe Jamie never beat his 993 C2 time with his 964T at Manfield. Faster on the straights and much more cautious through the twisty stuff...

I can save you alot of time on what the 3.6 will do coming out of corners. If its slightly damp it will squat, squirm then slide and change ends quickly. If its dry then it will squat squirm possibly over steer a bit laying down some black rubber and the whole time the nose will be pointing at the sky. If you have quick reactions you'll be fine. Will put hairs on your chest and good for some fun though I reckon.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?