Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug,
There is a Museum in Sinsheim (?) (shinsheim?) between Frankfurt and Stuttgart. Good stuff, including a Concorde, and lots of racing cars and others. Plenty of old F1 and Porsches. It has a sister museum somewhere but I haven't been to that which has the space shuttle. While in Stuttgart, the Mercedes Museum is worth a look too. The Mercedes factory tour in Sindelfingen is also a good half day spent to see things on a massive scale. For a Porsche Factory tour, I have always contacted EMD here in NZ and they have organised It for me. I don't know of another way to do it. Munich isn't that far if you are into BMW's. from memory, hockenheim is in the vicinity either between F Furt and stutt, or stutt and Munich.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug,
Speyer is the other museum with the Space Shuttle, 40kms away from Sinsheim. I want to check that one out next time I'm up there.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Whoa there! This is news (good news indeed!) But if I'd known we would have had more than a couple of extra 'toasts' to impending fatherhood. So when can we expect your attendance to start dropping off? Hopefully we'll see you over summer at least - and especially the 14 Dec "x-mas" date.
Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Now you kept that very quiet indeed. Congratulations, another future RSG member in the making!
Originally Posted by mjg
Congratulations!

Remember to get them started in karting from an early age!
Thanks guys, the baby is due on 8 December so I think my track attendance will be dropping off quite rapidly and unfortunately the 14 December date looks extremely unlikely! This is partly the reason why the SITT was a no-go for me, but I'm very happy to have done the NITT -- it might be my last weekend of carefree bliss for quite some time

We're having a boy, so obviously the nursery decor will have to be appropriate, i.e. pictures of fast women and naked cars. And yes a gentle encouragement to try some karting early on, that's the way into racing I reckon!

And that's enough about me, now back to the usual programme of Porsche goodness...
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 on the MB museum. PCNZ or EMD for the tour - make sure they get you on an English speaking one if possible on the date you have available. If there is no English tour that day it is worth taking a German tour as the guide will probably speak English and can give you a brief overview of what is happening after the official talk at each stopping point.

The cafes at both Porsche and Benz museums are reasonably priced - Christophoros not so but no doubt an experience. Both museums are right next to train stations on the same line out of Stuttgart central station.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Hi Michael, thanks for joining me on the return trip... I enjoyed your company. Sorry to hear about the windscreen... I hope your insurance can cover it? All the best for your next chapter.
Thanks Doug, I enjoyed the trip back and great to have your company. Looks like the windscreen needs to be replaced but yes it's covered by insurance so hopefully no dramas. Novus seem to think it's going to be more complex than normal so we'll see what happens. John, you were just joking about retiring as the official banner applier, right?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Dave, some great pointers there. I'll definitely contact EMD about a factory tour. And the Sinsheim museum looks great too. I saw a space shuttle at NASA in Huston in 2006 along with a few rockets etc which were amazing.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by NZ 911
X2 on the MB museum. PCNZ or EMD for the tour - make sure they get you on an English speaking one if possible on the date you have available. If there is no English tour that day it is worth taking a German tour as the guide will probably speak English and can give you a brief overview of what is happening after the official talk at each stopping point.

The cafes at both Porsche and Benz museums are reasonably priced - Christophoros not so but no doubt an experience. Both museums are right next to train stations on the same line out of Stuttgart central station.
Brilliant info, thank you very much
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Enjoy
Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I think my track attendance will be dropping off quite rapidly and unfortunately

Hummm............I don't think so, they are 24/7, so when you have a chance for some time to yourself - you will take it.........

Congrat's Michael..........
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

John - any chance of something from Taupo video wise?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
John - any chance of something from Taupo video wise?
Matt, I'll see what I've got. I've been madly painting rooms in my house prior to carpet arriving so haven't gone through it all yet.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome footage john. Chasing a gt3 and being chased by rasso are memories from manfield that won't fade fast!
The cars sound great once they pass the camera. Under heel and toe down by the corner 1 I think would be great music. Sure was from where I was sitting!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
mjg
Pro

Thanks for posting the video, the cars sound great. I've tried similar recording at HD but all I got was tyre noise... picking the right position to record from is obviously key!

A few photos from Taupo, I'll go through the rest tonight:
Attached Images       
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Awesome footage john. Chasing a gt3 and being chased by rasso are memories from manfield that won't fade fast!
The cars sound great once they pass the camera. Under heel and toe down by the corner 1 I think would be great music. Sure was from where I was sitting!
Thankfully Tony was able to take that footage. I'll see what else I have. I was annoyed at leaving the telephoto at home and not knowing how to use the video function on the 5D, but then I can't drive and film at the same time. Maybe a go pro used by a non driving person would be better?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey John/Matt. Any chance you could burn your images/video files to DVD/CD for me to have at the Movie Premiere? Happy to cover any costs. Being bandwidth restricted as soon as I leave NZ Im conscious I cannot enjoy these one Im in Vanuatu. Would appreciate having them on a disc or stick - happy to return stick by post before I head out early Friday morning...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?