Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013 | 07:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Anyone tempted by the 2k racing class?
Old 08-23-2013 | 07:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think its a great concept. We looked at it last year. Looks fun if you have the garage space.
Old 08-23-2013 | 07:58 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Anyone tempted by the 2k racing class?
Yeah, thinking about that as a project for next year if this year's 2k cup goes well. Also tempted by the BMW E30 series in the same time frame.
Old 08-23-2013 | 04:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My interest came after reading about the 2k entry in the 6 hour at HD. 4 drivers laping a MR2 at 1:25/27. They're writing articles in the Herald about the series. Should be interesting to follow. I have a parking bay and/or lots of street parking. I think I'll look at this next season when the competitive cars have been identified.
Old 08-23-2013 | 06:01 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

My interest came after reading about the 2k entry in the 6 hour at HD. 4 drivers laping a MR2 at 1:25/27. They're writing articles in the Herald about the series. Should be interesting to follow. I have a parking bay and/or lots of street parking. I think I'll look at this next season when the competitive cars have been identified.
I could be keen on this. I wonder what the rules are. You could probably buy an early 944 for $2K, definitely a 924. For $2K, we should all chip in $500 for the 6hr race..................

Who cares what we drive, would just be a great experience. Actually, we should make competing in the enduro an R Gruppe project, especially if we can have lots of drivers. I'd be happy to chip in $1K towards a cheap project. Maybe Yoda could sponsor us by providing garage space..........
Old 08-23-2013 | 06:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Also tempted by the BMW E30 series in the same time frame.
Or the Honda series. Do you realise the honda's lap in the 1.16's?? Why bother with a GT3 if you are hunting for speed............??
Old 08-23-2013 | 06:45 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Yeah but really who wants to track a front wheel drive Honda??? Even if the little bugger is fast.....
Old 08-23-2013 | 07:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Could Yoda source a 924 like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-626749283.htm ? We could run it as a RSG group car. If not able to keep it at HD, I can park it up at my place. Also have space in the garage to work on it.
Old 08-23-2013 | 07:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, tidying up and found my bag of these from the Rock.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2013 | 08:29 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Or the Honda series. Do you realise the honda's lap in the 1.16's?? Why bother with a GT3 if you are hunting for speed............??
The GT3 is for driving pleasure, not lap times! For less than GT3 money you could be in a Radical SR3 with significantly lower running costs and turning 1:05s.

I think the E30 series appeals to me over others because the cars are close to road vehicles which I understand isn't the case with the Hondas running 1:16s.

Anyway, I am seriously interested in an enduro team for next year. I would've loved to do it this year, but stupidly didn't think it was worth asking as I wasn't sure there'd be enough interest to put an RSG team together!
Old 08-23-2013 | 08:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Love them. Id love to borrow one to wear at the next large BBQ on the Rock for ****s and giggles!
Old 08-23-2013 | 08:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Love them. Id love to borrow one to wear at the next large BBQ on the Rock for ****s and giggles!
Remind me prior to the NITT and I'll bring one with me. I've got three new ones. Consider it a gift.
Old 08-23-2013 | 09:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
The GT3 is for driving pleasure, not lap times! For less than GT3 money you could be in a Radical SR3 with significantly lower running costs and turning 1:05s.

I think the E30 series appeals to me over others because the cars are close to road vehicles which I understand isn't the case with the Hondas running 1:16s.

Anyway, I am seriously interested in an enduro team for next year. I would've loved to do it this year, but stupidly didn't think it was worth asking as I wasn't sure there'd be enough interest to put an RSG team together!
Agree with Matt here. The GT3 is a road car not a trailed race car.

I also agree that the E30 BMW series is the perfect platform for an RSG assault. Those cars are very well regarded. They are not expensive to buy or run (relatively speaking) and they are a very well known platform with much expertise available to keep them running and a low cost (wreaked) parts supply. We had a couple of these on the Targa and they went like go karts. So light. At around 1000kg a stripped and well set up 320 could keep a 964 honest most off the time. Jarring noise ride on chip seal tho!

With 4 drivers and 2 support an Enduro assult is possible. Personally I think you might be better getting four guys together and approaching someone like Mr Taylor and renting a car with support for the event thus ensuring your entry money is well spent (i.e. greater chance of finishing the 6 hrs) and your hassle factor is low. A friend was offered a drive in the 996TT US import they converted to track and it wasn't that expensive. Cheaper than buying a reliable donkey and preparing it for the event. Split across 4 it could be viable....

The 2K challenge doesnt favour a Porsche at all. Japanese is teh way to go here....
Old 08-23-2013 | 09:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Remind me prior to the NITT and I'll bring one with me. I've got three new ones. Consider it a gift.
Thanks mate that would be great...
Old 08-23-2013 | 10:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Car is almost finished now. Next week is road test (to see if we have rubbing issues with the new 221s at the rear) along with gearbox/LSD oil change (I try and do this every 2 years given the abuse the car gets) and we will look to fit the CF RS door panels which proved tricky first time around (needed to order some bolts to replace in the door internals to get the panel sitting flat).

Pete set the geo up to Bill Verburgs track setting in the table below. Pretty aggressive as he typically trailers his car to the track. In Petes words handles like a go cart on smooth tarmac (turn in is now razor sharp) but hold onto the steering wheel on chip seal! The RS front uprights/tie rods contributed bit here but it was the ZERO degrees front toe which creates the go cart feel. For the road ideally a little positive front toe is required so the car can be driven straight ahead hands off the wheel etc.

It will be an interesting journey to Taupo - just praying its not wet! R compounds (235/264 x 18) look very meaty on the car. They arent pretty tho. Car now sits within RS height range.

While we were fitting the uprights we replaced the bearings and the ball joints at the front. These suckers take alot of abuse and heat on the track.

Nothing much in the way of photos Im afraid just a few phone pics on a gloomy Friday afternoon. Should all be wrapped up by next week and apart from a banner ready for NITT....
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?