Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Just been talking to Kevin Cantwell. Lots of good advice. One was to watch this YouTube video
Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. As per pic above was a bit more than sealing the ends. Its about dipping the nylon in resin to give support around the eyelet. Not much repeated usage apparently can tear eyelet from nylon, common problem. I Couldnt ask Dean to do it too fiddly so will do it myself when Im back...

Stereo and door speaker delete for weight savings can wait for later if you are just starting diet many more heavy things to sort out first...
Good point, I should do that too, I found out when making my bike frames that I am allergic to resin. Makes you swell up. Might get the boy to do it.
Looking at the picture, the eyelet is off center. I put mine on center for lack of any other ideas and it seems to be OK.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Those are pretty much the exact lines that Ray taught us. Obviously its easier now there are signs and things to use as guide cues...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Those are pretty much the exact lines that Ray taught us. Obviously its easier now there are signs and things to use as guide cues...
Yes, very similar except for Ray prefers to double apex the sweeper.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thats the one corner I think most professional race drivers have their own favourite line for. Font/Rear engine will make some difference to the approach but with 911s being weak on front end grip (understeer) I think the double apex works just fine. Once you watch Angus overtake you at 160km then go around you you realize that better suspension tech, wider track and tyres and an extra 200 bhp afford you an entirely different line with fewer trade offs....
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm flogging an old set of Simmons on trademe. If you search for Simmons 964 you will see them. May be good for some track rims for someone.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's some progress shots from today. I know a few of you have been awaiting the Heigo bolt in cage pictures. Sorry these are just camera phone quality.

To day this cage is designed to fit like a glove is an understatement. Germanic precision engineering!

Also picture of new weight saving measure - got the idea from John but went one further. No front seats at all!
Attached Images     
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

That's a nice bit of kit mate

All you need now is to strip all the carpets, cut the fenders, bolt on the guard extensions and drop in the 9M motor and you'll be sweet
Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LOL!

Ill never touch the sheet metal mate. This is my plug and play car. Everything needs to beable to be switched for when I feel like it (hence the garage full of original parts). On that note I already have a plan to revert the front bumper back to the original factory NB one which I prefer the look better than the turbo one...although that will have to wait till next year when I install the custom Setrab aux oil cooler. Preparation for the 400bhp Rothsport Racing slide valve 3.9L engine upgrade of course LOL!

I cant remove the carpet/sound deadening. They dont make classic grey RS sets and whats left in the car is just enough to make it bearable for touring form the inside. I imagine the half cage may one day disappear and Id like to re-install the rear seats and belts again to make it useful for longer trips away.

Unlike previously I now have a pretty good idea of how I want the car to evolve but Im mindful I like to change things around every 3-5 years so trying to keep everything easy in and out and not make the mistake of going somewhere i cant recover from...its got to keep me amused till Im too old to drive.....
Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Hey guys, I'm flogging an old set of Simmons on trademe. If you search for Simmons 964 you will see them. May be good for some track rims for someone.
At last, a local set of wheels, just bought Macca's set but what the hell, the wood shed at my place has turned into a tyre bay and theres plenty of room
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
At last, a local set of wheels, just bought Macca's set but what the hell, the wood shed at my place has turned into a tyre bay and theres plenty of room
I know the feeling. I've got my 4 franken D90s and six 18in Michelin waiting for the Turbos to waer out the existing ones. Add all the other pieces I've taken off the C4 and it's looking like a wreckers yard.

Re wheels, spare a thought for Kevin with the Cup Car. Cracked Speedline hubs mean getting new sets cast. Must see if we can get him to a Playday.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 AM
mjg
Pro

Looks good Macca. Are you not installing 6-point harnesses?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Not at this stage Matt. They aren't allowed on the Targa Tour and I find them frustrating to have in the car for daily driving (you have to leave the main belts in as well I think in NZ so you always have way too much harness hanging around the car). I haven't yet felt the carbon buckets are inadequate with the stock belts on the track but that's probably because Im not fast enough yet. If I do put them in Ill use eyeletes in the rear like many guys do in Europe (see below).

I did originally order a Heigo harness bar which bolts onto the rear "hoop" - it can be removed, the hoop left in place and the rear seats and belts installed (so if the X brace and pieces need re-installing afterwards its a 15 minute job with an allen key). This is it below. It was out of stock! The key job of the cage is for is to project our heads if theres a roll over on Targa. Its one of the few modifications my wife as navigator actually suggested on her own (I had never considered a cage)!
Attached Images    
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Maxem
Drifting

That looks really good Macca, especially painted. I guess mine will be plain black. I'm thinking about what I'll do with the harness mounts. I ordered a harness guide bar which could take the harnesses but if it doesn't arrive with one I would put some flat laser cut figure 8 rings sandwiched between the heigo feet and the chassis rear belt mounts to pick up the harness clips. No word from Gert yet.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi David. I think yours will arrive as you ordered it. Yes it will be plain black which probably works well with your interior. If you are adventurous you could pre wrap it with rope for the jungle look. I reckon it would do will with bamboo wood dash inlay!

In hindsight I probably should have left the rear seat backs in place to make it easier if I need to take the X bar and parts out to use the rear, fold down the back seats for bags etc.

Ive seen a number of arrangements for the harnesses including eye rings where I think you mention (see pic below). It must be possible to get an eye bolt with the same thread needed to do two hobs at once - affix the mounting hardware for the Heigo bracket + provide a latch point for the harness....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?