Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
My thoughts precisely after 7+ years offshore. One car for all seasons. The RS variant is probably a bit too bling for general DD use but a well specced 997.1/.2 GT3 would make alot of sense as a car you could get off the plane, turn the key, drive home, to the track, Targa etc then switch off till next time. Not to mention it would be alot quicker and more competent for Track & Targa. Also compared to our old jallopies the 997.1 GT3 I last drove was very well composed and damn right supple on the roads compared to the 993!
Its a delimma the others do not face but the longer you are offshore Sean the more you will appreciate the reliability, lower overhead and multi use nature of these cars (only down side being some depreciation)...

I think you have to be of a certain still level to really enjoy the GT3 on the track and you are probably at that level. Food for thought I guess...
x3 - GT3's make a lot of sense. Bad Boys 3.6T and 993 Manual may have to wait.........

Matt took me for some laps in his, 380hp in a straight line is hard to argue, you get punched into the seat, the car makes a fab sound and the cornering poise is amazing.

The car I most enjoyed a spin in was Chris's 944, the speed that car caries though corners is amazing, Chris can also brake later, so I was quietly applying that passengers brake pedal on the first 2 laps..........
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Downunder
Carjam says it was black.......??
Someone must have been colour blind when the registered it.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
The car I most enjoyed a spin in was Chris's 944, the speed that car caries though corners is amazing, Chris can also brake later, so I was quietly applying that passengers brake pedal on the first 2 laps..........
Agree with that - the build up of speed out of the corners was also impressive - and that was with 200+ kg of us sat in there! Was a practical example of how 'lightweight' works.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
x3 - GT3's make a lot of sense. Bad Boys 3.6T and 993 Manual may have to wait.........

Matt took me for some laps in his, 380hp in a straight line is hard to argue, you get punched into the seat, the car makes a fab sound and the cornering poise is amazing.

You are both right - lightweight makes a huge difference to cornering and braking. Also lower wear on items.

You can go out any day of the week and buy a car similar to Chris's 944 for $40k or less in race trim but its not a car you can drive to work or tour in - thats where the extra 240kg in the GT3 comes in I guess...
Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wow. Ok. Finally finished listing stuff on TM and Ebay from over the weekend. Only have some non Porsche related stuff to go.

Here are the listings. There's about 74 up (10 auctions have sold) and around 10 books directly to folk on this board. There are many books on the link below I didn't post here. Help yourself.

PS. I have 40 models and 8 tamiya Porsche RS kist (new) going up later in the week.

Scary thing is Im keeping much more than Im selling! Talk about an addiction...

Matt. Im hoping you are enjoying those shades!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=2777105
Old 07-22-2013, 03:14 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

My thoughts precisely after 7+ years offshore. One car for all seasons. The RS variant is probably a bit too bling for general DD use but a well specced 997.1/.2 GT3 would make alot of sense as a car you could get off the plane, turn the key, drive home, to the track, Targa etc then switch off till next time. Not to mention it would be alot quicker and more competent for Track & Targa. Also compared to our old jallopies the 997.1 GT3 I last drove was very well composed and damn right supple on the roads compared to the 993!
Its a delimma the others do not face but the longer you are offshore Sean the more you will appreciate the reliability, lower overhead and multi use nature of these cars (only down side being some depreciation)...

I think you have to be of a certain still level to really enjoy the GT3 on the track and you are probably at that level. Food for thought I guess...
Yeah for sure. Actually my car was never supposed to come out the way it did. It was going to be a tidy Targa car but we got carried away and now it's a bit of a hybrid that's still too hard for DD, around town anyway. It's nice to have the option to be able to do the odd race series and it eats up the Hunuas but I hate having to stop at the Avis counter when I land in AKL- lol.

The trouble is I don't spend enough time in NZ to justify two parked there and it doesn't look like time spent there is going to increase in the next 24 months so if a 997 GT3 was going to be purchased it would be at my next destination, not in NZ
Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Data overload for those that are interested. Given I've posted my own results, no one should be embarassed.

First up, Peter & Paul. These plots have speed and lateral G
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally something Michael maybe interested in! The Brochures are obviously not in mint condition (sorry about the pictures will get new ones shortly) and neither is the Original Porsche book but all are in good condition for age and are very hard to find these days.

Period factory brochures are $25 each and the 944/968 book is $55 (out of print and hard to locate these days).
Thanks Macca, I've already got that book and some brochures for my model year though!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Same for Peter and Chris
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Everyone on turn 5 (Turn 10). Run order was Peter, Tony, Paul, Michael, Chris & Me, so the colour is related to the number, the run number is first and lap number is next e.g. Peter is always 1/6 = first run and it was his 6th lap.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Same but with lateral G
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
On a seperate note, even with my underachievement on the track...
John, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! You're in a car that you haven't driven much, and it will take a little while to build up the (subconscious) trust that everything is connected and working properly.

My prediction: after 2 more dry days at HD you'll be down to 1.25. By Christmas you'll be doing between 1.22 and 1.23.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed

John, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! You're in a car that you haven't driven much, and it will take a little while to build up the (subconscious) trust that everything is connected and working properly.

My prediction: after 2 more dry days at HD you'll be down to 1.25. By Christmas you'll be doing between 1.22 and 1.23.
I'll take those as my goals I'm very happy that my car lasted the full day. Nothing to give Dean & Israel after the day except praise. Now to come in with a plan for 11 August. Also happy that my engine appears to have the same power as Peter's. it can only get better from here.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Without getting carried away with the plots they have taught me two basic things about driving HD and carrying more speed.

1). The number of shifts made during the lap is important to time. The longer you can stay ina geat without changing up or down the better.
2). the speed of shifts is important to time. The smoother and quicker you are the less time you loose.

Theres a marked difference in the sped of some of these drivers shifts.

Then of course there is the most important one. The line.

Its also apparent that HP doesnt make as much difference to lap times as weight and skill. 150kg may = 1 second at HD but youd need 50bhp for approximately 1 second given the same driver and the same car.

This makes sense when you look at peters times. Hes low 1.21s. There is likely 1 second more for him to achieve through faster shifts and one less shift on the back straight (this we can tell when comparing to Tonys laps). Matt was putting in mid 1.19s in the C2 which we assume is 150kg lighter than Petes 964 C4. Given 150kg is equivalent to roughly 1 second (using Matts formula) then we could say that without changing anything in the car but just driving with one less shift and faster smoother shifts Peter can get to 1.205s That should be his goal. By now he knows his lines so there's probably only a few 10th here and there by changing his approach to the corners of the track. To get to 1.195s we assume he would need to shed 150kg of weight from his car or increase horsepower by 50 bhp.

The horsepower argument is diminishing returns. Matts new car is better set up than his old one about the same weight and makes close to 400 bhp. It buys him currently around 3.03 second advantage. Of course hes still getting used to his new car but hes running a more aggressive geo and on R compound tires too so you can see that the 150 bhp extra he has doesnt make up the 3 second advantage alone (given the geo and tyres must account for over 35% of that).

Comparing notes with Peter when he was here I learnt where I can save one gear shift (turn 2 - keep it in 3rd over turn 3 changing down in to tight turn 4 or 5 I think?). Id really like to get consistent sub 1.20s times on my next run and have mentally driven the course many times and I think its definitely achievable especially with R compound tyres, much less weight and a better geo next time out. Given the theoretical hypothesis Ive used above and Matts experience with his 964 C2 as a reference point Im assuming based on my 993 being 50kg lighter and 45-50 hp more powerful that with R compounds the best time I could realistically achieve would be 1.175-1.18s if I were driving as well as he is. Im not so that wont happen any time soon but its a nice goal to have...

Its all interesting stuff...
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Looking at the graph of everyone on turn 5, it's amazing how smooth Paul's line is (except for Barrel 51 where it's razor sharp). A man who knows what he's doing!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?