Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes I think I'll be changing to CCS from Giltraps - had a shocking experience from Giltraps just before the last track day. Prices I was expecting - broken seat squab mount and other problems I was not.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Yes I think I'll be changing to CCS from Giltraps - had a shocking experience from Giltraps just before the last track day. Prices I was expecting - broken seat squab mount and other problems I was not.
The bloke I bought my C4 off has just turned up as the new GM Retail for Sime Darby/Contis - bumped into him while filling up with gas this morning. Nice to have another contact and someone to go to if things go a bit off!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I spoke to Dean Friday. They started my car yesterday. The cage should be going in this week if anyone is curious. Dean is aware we are all part of RSG. He said to me it makes him want to go out and buy a 964 and join in (but he has an orange 1973 resto 911 underway - a real peach)! He seemed keen to help out our group. I believe they make more profit from guys like us in teh long run. Their rates might be lower but the hours are higher as we are constantly doing stuff to our rides. The late model stuff just comes in for fixed price services and factory recalls (which PAG pay poorly for given the hours required). As said previously it does depend on who you have look after the work. I have only one guy who does the work on my car and has done for many years so he knows my expectations!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

And if Dean or the others are thinking long term it pays to cultivate a clientele that may follow them in a later independent shop

I may well go and look at your install Macca. Is the banner going on?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Pad pickup - when you come to a halt with hot pads?
Hope the blues go well for you, they haven't been flash with me - were good for the first 2 sessions then started to judder like yours.
Have a look a couple of pages back for the shot of my front rotor, a couple of pad shaped deposits. I'm not sure exactly how the deposits get there but if they are in one spot like mine the deposit seems to accumulate and this is were it judders. Low speed driving around town see's this as an on off sensation with each wheel rev, mostly noticeable when coming to a stop. At high speed with hot brakes it is accentuated as massive vibration. this is what ended my day early on the 20th. I expect that the new Blues will work fine for a while like yours then misbehave. I'm determined to bed them properly then avoid letting hot pads sit against rotors at the end of a fast session.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
And if Dean or the others are thinking long term it pays to cultivate a clientele that may follow them in a later independent shop

I may well go and look at your install Macca. Is the banner going on?
I'm busting for a look at the Heigo. Mine can't be far off and wouldn't mind a few tips on the install.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Service; I used to self service in the old days but then you could. Now I tend to use the main dealers until the three year warranty runs out then go indy. I'm revising that position now though. I always believed indies to be better value but I get really pee'd when main dealer type add on's appear in the invoice, like $20 for a squirt of this and that. My last BMW service was last week at Team McMillan (actually timed with a recall) and I challenged the service manager with why I thought Indies were better. I got a good response and the invoice I believe reflected the message that I wasn't to be taken for a ride. My wifes VW has just come out of manufacturers warranty and I will probably run this with CCS now because of the good experience. I wonder if the wider CCS business will pick up that I am indeed one of those big spending rensporter gentleman (a minnow compared to some). Perception of value is everything.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Banking has brought me into contact with many types of people. I've learned that you never pre judge a customer and you should certainly never nickel and dime or surprise them. Quote what the service/product will cost, deliver just that and expect to be paid.

I've spent more on the house over the last six months than I have on cars and have a good rep with each of the tradies that gets them around quickly. They deliver, I pay.

One I no longer use is "cashie Glenn". I happened to walk into my garage when he was doing work and heard him say he needed to add more to his bill because I had the Turbo 3.6 in the garage.

Somewhere along the line, all sellers seem to have their moments. Dave, good on you for reminding them what your options are.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I should add that I tended towards Independents for three reasons:

1. They should know more about the older cars and therefore diagnose problems more quickly;

2. They should be more personalized; and

3. They should be able to pay better but charge less without the hefty corporate overhead.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well said John. As a sale guy I go one further/different. If Im flying in I ask the boys what duty free they want. I shout it. If Im at LeMans or buying a few Tshirts on Pistonheads site I add one in for Dean etc.

NZ service levels are generally crap IMHO. Some of the most average in the world. It doesnt help staff get treated poorly by clients and employers (who see them more often as a liability than an asset).

I find a few gratuitous gifts and generosity in the long run give me not only priority ranking but saves me on the bill. Also gives me a "big favour" to call in if I need it. You find someone good, you treat them well and they look after you. Its how I get business done all round. This short sited penny pinching thing never works long run from my experience. Im **** when it comes to work on my 993. They know it, I know it and I give back a little bit extra to make sure when I reject something sub standard they accept it and dont question it.

Just spoke with Dean. Heigo cage is back from Hazlers yesterday. Car will be picked up tomorrow. Dave - your wheels will be there then as you know. Id imagine come Monday hopefully cage will be in but they have 22 other items on the list so not sure exactly when....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

1. They should know more about the older cars and therefore diagnose problems more quickly;

3. They should be able to pay better but charge less without the hefty corporate overhead.
Not all are necessarily there in the current choices at all times.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good points but havent found a good Indie yet. Probably havent looked for 10 years as Im happy with my lot but found Peter too hard eventually as he didnt agree with my aftermarket car improvement fetish much. Then there was the wheel curbing incident. He sorted it out in the end but it ruined the relationship.

What i do like about CCS is if they drop the car off the hoist there will be a cheque awaiting for me on arrival. Its a big company they wont mess with business for small stuff and are appropriately covered and have provision for that stuff. Ive had some dimples left in the rear guards from folk leaning over the car (could be staff or bystanders - my car gets oogled by many when there and often ends up there 2-3 weeks at a time such is the extent of the work and outwork). I just tell then straight out and they call the paintless dent guy and pick up the tab the next day. They know how I look after the car and that Im not making it up. Its a good realtionship but its been forged from 15 years of custom and many $$$ there way in labour.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Just spoke with Dean. Heigo cage is back from Hazlers yesterday. Car will be picked up tomorrow. Dave - your wheels will be there then as you know. Id imagine come Monday hopefully cage will be in but they have 22 other items on the list so not sure exactly when....
I'll pop in with the 964 and see Deano on Monday and have a nosey then!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Pad pickup - when you come to a halt with hot pads?
Hope the blues go well for you, they haven't been flash with me - were good for the first 2 sessions then started to judder like yours.
For some reason Pagid is engrained in NZ Porshce racing but, for me, the Endless pads are miles better than the blacks I was running.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
I'll pop in with the 964 and see Deano on Monday and have a nosey then!
Sean. You are welcome mate. Just a shame I wont be back to hang with you! Not sure how far they will have got by Monday but heres some Heigo roll cage part sex fresh from Dean. I believe the Carbon RS door panels look pretty cool in the flesh (and very light i.e. well under 500gram each) too...

P.S. You may want to check out the RS uprights while there. I think they are a bit lighter than the factory ones and probably a worth while upgrade for the red beast.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?