Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hey Peter,
Good info on the brake set up you have yesterday, but with me its in one ear and then its gone. Could you recount your brake setup again? Bit of a writeoff yesterday for me because of my brake issue. First three sessions OK then a horrendous brake shudder after 2 laps. Had to call it a day. Whipped the rotors off this morning and there's a lot of pad pickup. The marks at the top are actually pitted into the rotor surface. The pad shaped marks have an edge to them too. Pads are Pagid 4.2.1 black and are about half worn. At low speed when cold you can feel them grabbing with each wheel rev and I guess at high speed this is the shudder under hard braking. A spirited drive this morning sees the pedal at about half soft, which I assume is the dead pads but could it be The SRF fluid which is about 18 mths old and half a dozen track days? I bought some Pagid 4.2's blue so I'm committing to these for the next session. Not sure if I can save the discs, they are at 27.6 vs 28 new so not bad but have to get beneath the pitting.
I have to say I'm not a brake expert so I'm learning as I go from the guys I speak to. My set up now is standard Porsche rotors, Endless MX20 pads (track/fast street) and SRF fluid. Yesterday was the first trackday with all those components working together and bedded in and the first time I have had no track brake judder. The brakes are really progressive and 100% reliable - no fade during the day. I really couldn't complain or want more at my level of driving.

We chased the judder issue through 2 sets of Porsche pads and a set of rotors. I put it down to pad material deposits which seem to have been scrubber clean firstly with a set of used pagid blacks which reduced the problem to about 50% and then the new Endless ones.

Your rotors look like the pad has not released? You were rocking the car after sessions so moving the pad around. How can you get an imprint like that if the pad is clear from the rotor?

I've been really happy with the service from Prosport Auto on this. Mike knows more about this stuff than I ever will so happy to take the view of experts and if it works then that's good with me.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg

That's a good deal. I bought one of those new a few years ago, but I gave up on it for a Solo recently as it's a pain to use and has let me down on numerous occasions (in fact, almost every track day it fails in one of a few ways). It works well *when it works*, but I've had issues with it losing the start/finish settings, taking a very long time to get a GPS fix (mostly solved by attaching an external GPS antenna, a must for these in my opinion). Yesterday was my first time out with the Solo and it was utterly flawless in comparison. The software for both is good, but the AIM software is taking more time to find my way around. The software for my other data logger (Race Technology DL1) seems to be the best of the bunch so far.
I'm still working my way through the software as well. This morning I managed to get a lap comparison animation. Virtual Peter and I started together on the Start Finish line and I watched where he extended the lead. Almost too much info to take in. I'm still working out how to get clear graphs posted here.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Just saw the news of another big quake around Wellington- hope everyone is ok and garages are still standing!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I have to say I'm not a brake expert so I'm learning as I go from the guys I speak to. My set up now is standard Porsche rotors, Endless MX20 pads (track/fast street) and SRF fluid. Yesterday was the first trackday with all those components working together and bedded in and the first time I have had no track brake judder. The brakes are really progressive and 100% reliable - no fade during the day. I really couldn't complain or want more at my level of driving.

We chased the judder issue through 2 sets of Porsche pads and a set of rotors. I put it down to pad material deposits which seem to have been scrubber clean firstly with a set of used pagid blacks which reduced the problem to about 50% and then the new Endless ones.

Your rotors look like the pad has not released? You were rocking the car after sessions so moving the pad around. How can you get an imprint like that if the pad is clear from the rotor?

I've been really happy with the service from Prosport Auto on this. Mike knows more about this stuff than I ever will so happy to take the view of experts and if it works then that's good with me.
Thanks Pete,
The pad imprint is a mystery, It may have been there from last time. Maybe when I came in I had my foot on the anchors for a bit and it welded. Another stupid thing I did which I've never done before is put the car away after a wash and left it for three weeks. Not sure but that would point to a pad shaped rusty imprint which might have emphasised the pick up
Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default Michael - here's your fastest lap

0 is start finish line.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

yea bit of a shake in wellington. seems like a fair bit of minor damage. My house seems good though power went off for nearly 1 hour
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
yea bit of a shake in wellington. seems like a fair bit of minor damage. My house seems good though power went off for nearly 1 hour
Good to hear it's not worse.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Peter, I'll email this to Tony. You are Green, Tony is Red.

The graph starts at the Start/Finish line. The bottom graph is the time differential. You are the reference 1/6 (run 1 lap 6)
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John - what were the lap times on those 2 runs? Looks like Tony was holding 3rd in the straight to the sweeper whereas I'm losing speed with a late shift to 4th. Same issue on the main straight. The patten through 2 & 3 is interesting - need to work out what we are doing so differently.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Thanks John - what were the lap times on those 2 runs? Looks like Tony was holding 3rd in the straight to the sweeper whereas I'm losing speed with a late shift to 4th. Same issue on the main straight. The patten through 2 & 3 is interesting - need to work out what we are doing so differently.
You = 1.21.910
Tony = 1.23.251

Btw the top columns only show 5 corners. That's because the program track has what we class as 1,3,8,9 & 10 as 1,2,3,4,5, respectively.

Each time I look at the data I see more gems. Comparing different strategies gives clear cut best practice, like staying in 4th on the main straight. I'm not saying I'll be at your level soon, but at least I know where to pick up easy time now.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks John, appreciate it. I think the most interesting difference between my graph and others is that in mine turns 2 and 3 are completely merged together. I guess being able to keep full power on through there is one benefit of a lack of power!

The other interesting thing for me is how optimistic my speedo is. It was always a bit optimistic, and then the lower profile tyres made it worse, but I didn't think it was that far off -- must be 20%+.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got a drift box too - was running it at HD on Saturday. Seems to work pretty well for me, but I've got it a bit high on the windscreen to make room for the gopro hung underneath so it isn't in quite the best spot for the sats.

Matt - interesting enough my best lap time with the crummy brakes was when I double apexed the sweeper! (and higher end speed at the end of the home straight).
Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Matt. I got an email overnight from a track rat friend in the UK who uses the Performancebox with his 993 and hasnt had any GPS issues. I contacted the vendor and he stated it had worked fine for him. The 993 has a large "greenhouse" with the old style upright windscreen. I may well use my installed GPS antennae if it does give any issues. Maybe we get less satellites downunder? We will give it a go and see how it performs....
Old 07-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Some more morning treats.

Finally something Michael maybe interested in! The Brochures are obviously not in mint condition (sorry about the pictures will get new ones shortly) and neither is the Original Porsche book but all are in good condition for age and are very hard to find these days.

Period factory brochures are $25 each and the 944/968 book is $55 (out of print and hard to locate these days).

The Porsche 959 book is very rare these days (only three "proper" publications on the 959 were every released and this is one of them). Its in excellent condition although the hard cover paper gate fold has a small tear at the top of the front cover which has been repaired. $135 (perfect ones sell for $200). Im guessing this one will sell offshore so may be a rare occasion to get one locally....

Porsche Catalogs book is in very good condition. Very interesting read for any design enthusiasts out there. $35

911 Performance Handbook is a mainstay of any collection - for owners of older air cooled cars. $30. Its not been read but has been in storage...

All plus postage.

These and around another 20 titles will all be going on TM this afternoon so let me know if any of you are interested...
Attached Images         
Old 07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?