Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Dunlop 800 - 2nd July

Last but certainly not least is the Dunlop 800, Dunlop are back on board for another year which means lots of prizes for all.

Due to demand and to secure your team a spot, we require you to register your interest at http://goo.gl/forms/HxPXkAx3E1

You will find the basic rules on the link above but for the most part we are allowing teams of 2-3 cars, self picked or series picked to take part in an 800km endurance race that will take the better part of a day. Before the event teams can decide what class they want to enter. The classes are set by lap time (Pro, Pro/Am, Am OR sub 1:26, a mix, slower than 1:26).

Unlike most endurance races the slower cars set off first, so much so they will start 10 minutes before the "pro" or sub 1:26's car leave, creating a real thriller of a race as it progresses. Currently it's looking like 6 South Island teams will be in attendance so there will also be a bit of well spirited North vs South rivalry going on as well.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I went to the same public meeting as John to see if I could go to seven stories. Realised that I was pretty much alone in my thinking and ran with the hounds in the end. I had happy visions of an underground garage full of 911's and Fazza's and a penthouse on top, then the 5 floor midriff full of renters paying for the habit.
Seriously deluded people were putting the out of scope changes through and they were pole axed on the day. Generation Zero is still wingeing on Twitter. This isn't over, but the surprise assault tactic won't work a second time. The worst of it is the fact that the Bay's will never be an affordable area so they are pistoling in the wind.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Seriously deluded people were putting the out of scope changes through and they were pole axed on the day. Generation Zero is still wingeing on Twitter. This isn't over, but the surprise assault tactic won't work a second time. The worst of it is the fact that the Bay's will never be an affordable area so they are pistoling in the wind.
Dave, you can fund your habit with your existing home.

You will be allowed under the UP on single home sites to build a granny flat (subservient dwelling)

So spend $100K on a granny for $400wk return, The surplus $300wk will fund $300K of toys interest only, just buy ones that are fully depreciated so you can sell them to retire the debt at some stage.

Or a $100K race car and $10K to keep it running P/A.

I imagine you will see a lot of flat conversions to homes for the lifestyle money - should dampen rents for some time.......

See clause 2.3:

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/E...ntialzones.pdf
Old 02-25-2016, 10:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The car dealers must have revised their sales targets after the Unitary Plan got knee capped yesterday. Some in the crowd were crying for civil war. Must check my insurance covers that On a different note, less than 48 hours until I'm finally driving a sorted Herman. A few days short of 7 months from the first job, the control arm bushes. Macca, get those sales skills working. I'm thinking $110,000 and I will throw in the sculpture kit that is my box of lightly used gearbox parts.
$110k mate and there's actually an outside chance you will sell it!

If one considers the base car is probably worth 50k, then add gearbox rebuild, engine rebuild, full paint, wheels alone you are at 90k. The final 20k can be justified based on all the other small jobs been done to it along the way. You'll need to advertise it with aircon working so factor that cost into your price. For 110k the buyer must firstly really like what you have done and secondly there must be nothing letting the car down (less argument to bring to the table in order to haggle).

Fire me through the rough facts (year, mileage, when it arrived in NZ etc) and I'll put something together. Laptop is in for new keyboard (the Vaio and my ageing iPhone 5S both lost the battle with The Rock on this trip!), so I am operating Guanman style with iPad and cloud based files. Bit slow and frustrating I must say. It will be a week before its fixed.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely, One day maybe but I do oppose the plan. Luckily I am on a north west corner so couldn't be built out but the extra cars, bins, people in the street would be the downsides.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

If one considers the base car is probably worth 50k, then add gearbox rebuild, engine rebuild, full paint, wheels alone you are at 90k. The final 20k can be justified based on all the other small jobs been done to it along the way. You'll need to advertise it with aircon working so factor that cost into your price. For 110k the buyer must firstly really like what you have done and secondly there must be nothing letting the car down (less argument to bring to the table in order to haggle).

Fire me through the rough facts (year, mileage, when it arrived in NZ etc) and I'll put something together. Laptop is in for new keyboard (the Vaio and my ageing iPhone 5S both lost the battle with The Rock on this trip!), so I am operating Guanman style with iPad and cloud based files. Bit slow and frustrating I must say. It will be a week before its fixed.
Are you going to seriously list it?

It would be interesting to see if you could get real enquiries at a $100K?

Set the benchmark for 964's...............
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

While the cumulative costs in no way means that its market value is $110,000 I don't want to look like a Wally if that unicorn does come out of the woods. Imagine starting all of this again? Even finding a base car would be hard let alone the time taken to do it to this level. Life is short and I've missed out on 7 months of air cooled driving already.

The goal is to put a good ad out there and educate the masses. I'm not actually interested in selling, just generating some discussion. Although I really don't want another call from Max.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Absolutely, One day maybe but I do oppose the plan. Luckily I am on a north west corner so couldn't be built out but the extra cars, bins, people in the street would be the downsides.
There are pockets where natural redevelopment will occur e.g. of tired house sites, typically those lived in by retirees for the last 40 years. However I think the rest is too developed to make Gen Zero nirvana possible as the initial purchase price cuts the cream out of the developers margins. There may well be more traffic though, hopefully quiet Prius instead of that Ferrari and Aston rabble that go ballistic.

Btw I posted pics of my existing high density development and didn't get one bite. These youngsters have no sense of humor.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Are you going to seriously list it?

It would be interesting to see if you could get real enquiries at a $100K?

Set the benchmark for 964's...............
I'm going to do what I did last year with the Turbo 3.6 but be smarter this time I.e. Make sure it doesn't actually sell. This is my life long car. While the box issues have frustrated the heck out of me, it's only a machine and now (fingers crossed) all sorted it should last another 25 years without needing major work. In fact with fun car type annual mileage it should never need this work again.

The SC breakdown on FB is a good example of my ethos here. His rotor split in two and required road side work with cable ties. Even though the existing ones on Herman were serviceable I replaced both caps and rotors on Herman. I did the same detail on the exterior trim, it's all new, despite not particularly needing it. Whatever the thoughts on 964 maximum pricing I can't do this again without a car to run in the meantime.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. My experience was that to put it out there on TM you have to be prepared to part with it. As soon as the requests to inspect start it becomes real.

I've been through the respray and replace every nut a bolt thing on the 993. I'm very Virgo so left no stone unturned. Then I moved on to suspension, driveline and interior customisation, gear box LSD and cams etc. I did run a spreadsheet but stopped once I had spent around 100k on top of the base car. A lot of my stuff like CF RS door cards, some CF under panels and gauges and interior CF was fully custom tho and that's where you start to spend big. I had the car revalued again on Wednesday after 18 months and the exercise brought to bear the rise in the base car value. I guess some modifications depreciated but the 993 base rate increased so the net result just a fraction higher. Whereas 18 months ago I thought it was too high and the basis for my faux sale today I suspect it's more realistic assuming the "unicorn" appears...

My thoughts are that if you are going to do it as an exercise put a silly number on it to prove a point and/or scare off those not truly interested. When. Put mine up I was adamant I would sell it at the price listed not a dollar less but I got cold feet once interest emerged. If I put it on again today I'd only do so to sell it. However I think I'd probably rather just mention it in a few spots and deal directly with an interested party so if never went public ally on the market. I copped a lot of comment last time...
Old 02-25-2016, 03:33 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Whatever the thoughts on 964 maximum pricing I can't do this again without a car to run in the meantime.
Yes - the 7 months no Pcar pain was experienced on the 993 paint job too.

New Miller Family policy to mitigate such future pain and suffering (2 or more Pcars..........)

You really do get a sense of well-being knowing it's there in the garage to use, even if you only used it once a month.

P.s - on another matter - I need to be at Waikeria Prison on Tuesday 8 March at around midday, so if anyone needs a run down or from Razzo's, there is a ride going.........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 02-25-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John. My experience was that to put it out there on TM you have to be prepared to part with it. As soon as the requests to inspect start it becomes real.

I've been through the respray and replace every nut a bolt thing on the 993. I'm very Virgo so left no stone unturned. Then I moved on to suspension, driveline and interior customisation, gear box LSD and cams etc. I did run a spreadsheet but stopped once I had spent around 100k on top of the base car. A lot of my stuff like CF RS door cards, some CF under panels and gauges and interior CF was fully custom tho and that's where you start to spend big. I had the car revalued again on Wednesday after 18 months and the exercise brought to bear the rise in the base car value. I guess some modifications depreciated but the 993 base rate increased so the net result just a fraction higher. Whereas 18 months ago I thought it was too high and the basis for my faux sale today I suspect it's more realistic assuming the "unicorn" appears...

My thoughts are that if you are going to do it as an exercise put a silly number on it to prove a point and/or scare off those not truly interested. When. Put mine up I was adamant I would sell it at the price listed not a dollar less but I got cold feet once interest emerged. If I put it on again today I'd only do so to sell it. However I think I'd probably rather just mention it in a few spots and deal directly with an interested party so if never went public ally on the market. I copped a lot of comment last time...
Agree ^^^ I'm still getting texts and messages about mine and although I listed for different reasons its awkward.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:34 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long are you in for this time, Paul..?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Agree ^^^ I'm still getting texts and messages about mine and although I listed for different reasons its awkward.
Damn, the logic on this board means another stupid idea consigned to the bin, which is overflowing. I still feel the need to educate the masses, but doing it on Trademe is the wrong medium.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
How long are you in for this time, Paul..?
He didn't say he needed someone to bring his car back so maybe just visiting this time.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?