Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:39 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For endless pads mike@prosportauto.co.nz

The endless pads on my 964 lasted 12 months of road work and ~monthly track days, about 20,000 k all up. Expensive except when looked at at $/1000km or $ per track day. About $400 per axle. Once bedded in no noise either.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
For endless pads mike@prosportauto.co.nz

The endless pads on my 964 lasted 12 months of road work and ~monthly track days, about 20,000 k all up. Expensive except when looked at at $/1000km or $ per track day. About $400 per axle. Once bedded in no noise either.
Awesome. Thanks Doug. Will get in touch with him on Monday to get something sorted.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:51 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Pete/Mark I'm keen for the 13th.
Pel - its the 11th Jan (Monday afternoon). I've put your name down for that last spot - let me know if the date doesn't work.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nmaisey
I know it's been discussed before but couldn't find it when searching. Where are people buying their endless brake pads and Castrol srf??

The ebc yellow stuff pads I've been running have been surprisingly underwhelming. I've done 2 twilight track days and they are almost had it. Probably have 1/3 left. Amazing really because I don't think they were any better than the original pads I had in there.
Just checked the EBC yellows in our vtec integra 2k cup car. They are all but used after 2.5 hours racing. That's ~ 100 laps of HD. In the less powerful integra they got to 117 laps on average. Endless weren't that endless in our 2k cup car. Hawk Blue race pads seem to be the happy balance in that car.

For my 964 I have had Textar, Brembo and PFC 08. The latter is my choice but I would go to Hawk Blue race as well

SRF is at some Repco shops and Segedin for $100 per liter. A C2 needs one liter.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Very useful John. I'm planning to do my gearbox next year along with new evaporator. Can I have 1st option on your 3/4 guide sleeve? Mean time nice easy changes are my mantra.
Will do Doug. Dan will vouch for the part's condition. I also have a spare synchro.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mung23
the overall width for my one is within 10mm of maximum allowance for LVV cert. should be fun.

correct, both cars are Hamilton based, both 964 C4, build happening at the moment, with the body work to be done mid Feb 2016.

both similar, but very different styles of builds, my build will have motor to match the look, hopefully.
That's exciting stuff - keen to hear more about this build as it progresses. What plans for the motor?
Old 12-05-2015, 12:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

About a year old but this video about Jack Olsen's black beauty Frankenstein 911 track car that pretty much keeps up with the 911 GT3 driven by a professional driver is worth a watch, along with other videos on his you tube channel. He's the dude with the amazing workshop that's done the rounds of the Internet.

Good fodder for Macca and your 993 hot rod lifetime project. (I'm sure you will have seen it before Macca).

Old 12-05-2015, 12:23 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Will do Doug. Dan will vouch for the part's condition. I also have a spare synchro.
Thanks John. Your inspiring me for Lola's future. Just need to retire and spend a year having fun spannering her aye.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. Your inspiring me for Lola's future. Just need to retire and spend a year having fun spannering her aye.
I understand that Ray's wife's car, 911 ROT, sold for a price materially reflecting the work done on it e.g. Engine and paint so it's not entirely money down the drain. However, I haven't done it for that as I'm not a seller. The satisfaction is enormous having a sorted car and Herman is close to that now. More importantly nothing will faze me with this car now and that makes it long term affordable.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just love that clip Doug. Watched it many times over the years and it always inspires me with my own car which is coming up 16 years in my ownership. I do know Jack over the years from the 993 forums. Really nice bloke. Id love to get the power to weight ratio of the 993 in line with a GT3 and have someone help me get the suspension set up just right fr the track. I definitely have a project in mind for kick off in 2017 which will see me "car less" for most of the year. Ive been researching hard and it will keep me busy which is half the fun....
Old 12-05-2015, 01:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I understand that Ray's wife's car, 911 ROT, sold for a price materially reflecting the work done on it e.g. Engine and paint so it's not entirely money down the drain. However, I haven't done it for that as I'm not a seller. The satisfaction is enormous having a sorted car and Herman is close to that now. More importantly nothing will faze me with this car now and that makes it long term affordable.
Nice try John LOL! Ray got lucky, the buyer was rabid and paid overs IMO cause he missed out on Dougs mates grey car and another example before that. You have 120 large in that car now. Forget abut the money. You are "investing" ENTIRELY for your own enjoyment, This isnt a GT3, RS or 3.6T. As Paul & Peter found with their 993s the new paint helped move the car quickly but it ddnt pay for itself and it only looks like that fr a year or so if you start using the car. Look at mine. It was showroom perfect in 2012 at teh porsche Parade. And now would anyone pay extra because I had a full glass out respray in 2005? You dont need t justify it t us mate we are all sick too. Maybe polish it up a little bit for if Donna ever finds this thread ;-P
Old 12-05-2015, 01:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Is that the exact original shade or a bit more grey? Looks nice.
For Herman? If so, then it's the Origjnal Grand Prix White. John's workshop mostly has fluorescent light so it appeared grey there. In sunlight it's blinding White.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
This is a "when" job not an "if" job for anyone who uses their manual 964/993 at the track. You seriously have to ask yourself are we using the right brand/product to circulate the track at 1.20? $11,000++ for your gear box work and you did the lift + install with your own equipment and labour. Call it $12,500 then for most of us... The labour hours for that box/diff was similar to rebuilding your engine. I remember this stood out t me when I got my bill too. Frankly its madness. Even the manual C2 964/993 is getting borderline IMO. Its a 6K job whatever way you look at it and frankly paying $1000 to have the engine dropped, gearbox split and remounted and installed is one of the best value parts of the job IM and not worthy of the effort and tools required when a single gear set can cost $2000+. Unless you are John and you enjoy this kind of thing. John has my invoice and it does include labour and small parts for a Diff rebuild and install like John but for C2 (42 hours all in) but I think if you break that out you are looking at around at $5900 for the box labor an parts (all sourced from CCS to make the job quicker and eliminate the issue of ordering wring parts). That includes removing and reinstalling gearbox from car (approx 10 hours). At the time I could have saved $1100 on the gearbox parts ordering them from FDM but wanted the job wrapped up quick (bx was open 3 weeks). Today with exchange rate as it stands youd need to order your own parts from FDM to get the bill to $6000. I did have the reverse lock out mechanism strengthened in that cost. My box was not as damaged as Johns. Doug would be up for $6000 if he did the same as me and had shop do all work. theres always more than you think. My clutch packs and labour to pack and install and shim etc was $3800 including parts so my all up job was $9700 including box drop/install. S maybe $3K less comparatively. Its madness really. As bubba has always said if you are going run these old cars hard at the track 10-12 time a year for 4-5 years you will certainly be up for a top end and a gearbox in your tenure at minimum so budget $25-30K about what you would pay to buy a Lotus S1 Elise and do similar if not better times at the track (and running costs are very low). A real eye opener....
C4 parts were the killer as was leaving it too long to do this. If I have to do this again it will be a lot cheaper.

I think a sorted 964 is a robust track car. You have to pay to play no matter what you are using. What this reinforces to me is that you buy older cars with many parts close to refurb time and use will convert those actual costs. A light tipo at the track could be the sweet spot. However it appears that the days of cheap 964s are over. With tipos now commanding early $40k and some above $50k a good manual must be $55k plus.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Nice try John LOL! Ray got lucky, the buyer was rabid and paid overs IMO cause he missed out on Dougs mates grey car and another example before that. You have 120 large in that car now. Forget abut the money. You are "investing" ENTIRELY for your own enjoyment, This isnt a GT3, RS or 3.6T. As Paul & Peter found with their 993s the new paint helped move the car quickly but it ddnt pay for itself and it only looks like that fr a year or so if you start using the car. Look at mine. It was showroom perfect in 2012 at teh porsche Parade. And now would anyone pay extra because I had a full glass out respray in 2005? You dont need t justify it t us mate we are all sick too. Maybe polish it up a little bit for if Donna ever finds this thread ;-P
$120k??? I think your spreadsheet needs an audit. It must be above $100k by now though.

Following Warwick out of Henderson today I have no doubts I made the right decision for me. It's a killer I can't be there on Saturday as the engine will likely be going in, but the number of 964s on the track bodes well for the future.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah I was using Buba math. Split you the difference at 110. Point is you cant justify it. Its a hobby. Pleasure. Ask Phil how much his boating hobby costs or someone with a race horse and it all becomes irrelevant. People like yourself, myself, Sean (more so with his engine rebuild), Paul (with his past 993), even Doug after his gearbox rebuild and post his accident expenses - I think we will all be underwater for a long long time on these cars. If you aren't using them then you're underwater and not having fun. So you are better off enjoying them I reckon.

As for a bit of track fun. I think buying a 964 tipo to take to the track fr 35-40K is a flawed plan myself. If yu are even near pushing it regularly it will break and you will need to do bearings, shocks, bushes, maybe a top end at some stage. Then there are lighter seats and some track wheels. Before you know it you are underwater again 60K deep on an old 964 Tipo that has become a compromised road car etc.

Better off "loosing" that money on keeping your 964 tip top while using it at the track over the next 5 years I believe.

Ive been talking alt with Tony at Playdays with his exige (about to be remapped for +55bhp) next week by Torque Performance. That car will we him 55K and be running 1.14s at HD with so little running costs its laughable (he hasnt changed pads, tyres or rotors since he imported it).

I think, like in the UK with the track junkies, we are probably barking up the wrong tree trying to make heavy rad cars break 1.13s at HD without breaking our own banks. To sustain a regular hobby of going to the track and wringing the neck of something (such a great feeling) maybe Graeme has the better idea. Or a BacMono if you win lotto, but the 28K ono Elise series 1 on TM would satisfy though it wouldnt get below a 1.18 I suspect.

Im not practicing what I preach. Ill happily run the GT3 another year and the 993 for eternity but then I couldnt be accused of being prudent with my hobby spend...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?