Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 05:42 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
A while back, a girl rang my son and asked if he wanted to go to a movie. He asked her which one. When she replied with "X" he said, "no thanks I don't want to see that" and he hung up. No amount of explaining that it was about spending time together rather than seeing the movie registered with him. His EQ was minimal which is why engineering is his major

I take the same approach here. Do I really want to pay $370 to pootle around HD? No, I don't but I've entered anyway. I'll get a chance to go on the track for three days in a row, shoot the breeze with hopefully a lot of you, see some great cars etc. You get the idea. For me this is a three day Porsche fanboy fest and going on the track is a bonus. Heck, I may even do well. I doubt Paul will given his black flag history.

As a final note, if we don't support these events then their future reoccurence becomes less certain.
Hi John. Great story and with you on being enthusiastic about the festival. Took my kids to the Ferrari themed one a year or two back and it was absolutely brilliant. Beyond the great track action, it was very relaxed and friendly with the chance to get close to some exotic race metal in the pits. It is that same enthusiasm for the Festival that has me finding a way to do the Regularity without getting sent off after one lap.

Looks like it may be a while still before you're a grandparent.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:49 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
This double post bug on the PC version of Rennlist is giving me the ****s. I know Buba is having same issue. Man I wish these turkeys would sort out this site...
what browser are you using? I'm on IE at work and Chrome on PC and Android at home with no issues.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:50 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
what browser are you using? I'm on IE at work and Chrome on PC and Android at home with no issues.
Never had a Rennlist problem with Firefox either (version 41 at the moment), apart from Rennlist allowing the pages to get insanely wide when mega pictures are posted as is rather than scaled down a bit.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:54 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

WEnt to see the new RS at the track. The vents do look a bit weird bu tyou soon get used to them
I guess still runnign in so it was dawdling about the track a bit, strangely quiet too, more so than the standard 991 gt3's.
Did a lazy 1:45sec when I timed it.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your not alone. I've avoided regularity trials for the same reason. However my bigger aversion is running without insurance. However I promised Buba if he could get Prestigio to provide cover for any event I would enter. And he did for existing customers on the regularity trial so I'm signed up. To be honest I'm just glad to be part of the Occassion in any way I can, and it's a few extra laps at HD hopefully in the dry, which are a bit allusive to me this year.

I was going to take the 993 on my almost dead MPSS road tyres (good for 1.19.5 at best) so only 4s or so off the pace. However CCS tell me there is barely enough tread left for my Feb warrant on the car so I'll probably run on some near new z221 I have in the shed that have the equivalent of 2 days on them. I guess that means I'll have to run around 8s slow a lap and the issue becomes as you state it. I don't want to give up max attack on the infield because that's where the fun is so ill be dragging my heels on the straight and T1 with the music blaring. Ive yet to determine what speed I'll need to reduce to - the GT3 covers that ground in 10s and I assume the 993 in 12s so indeed to make that 20 which means sitting on 120kmph. I may affix a plastic tiara to my helmet and wind the windows down to give the Croud a "Queens Wave" as they will be disappointed to be robbed of the 993 exhaust at flat chat along there (a sound I'm told regularly by marshals is glorious lol). Hopefully I get paired with someone experienced like John and can just sit on his tail admiring his sparkling matching paint work!

I should consider the bent sprints. I've run the car uninsured at the track in the early days but have zero financiAl latitude during my "sabbatical" for a 70k mistake. The cyclone this year removed that luxury from my purse! I'm struggling as it stands to justify my 2016 Motorsport calender to the missus. She sees another travel destination when I see SITT+NITT+Targa NZ (not yet decided!). I need to find an income!

The same few applies for all Walt so make the most of it and do the sprints and the regularity trials and get max bang for your $$$ IMO.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use chrome with windoze at work and its crap
I use chrome with osx at home and its crap
I use the ios app and its crap...though getting better

I'm a software developer and have no tolerance for software that's crap. I don't think their focus is on the desktop version. Mobile is.

I'm glad i don't pay for a subscription any more. I can still add images, albeit via cloud url's and i don't really need the other features

rant over
Old 11-25-2015, 06:01 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

As much as i'd like to join the trials fun. I can't commit to three days as we are away and i'm bailing on the family and driving down specially for the Sunday. Aside from that, my insurer won't ensure me for timed events
Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
WEnt to see the new RS at the track. The vents do look a bit weird bu tyou soon get used to them
I guess still runnign in so it was dawdling about the track a bit, strangely quiet too, more so than the standard 991 gt3's.
Did a lazy 1:45sec when I timed it.
Was Earl driving it Matt? Would be nice to see him allowed to give it a nudge!
Old 11-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
WEnt to see the new RS at the track. The vents do look a bit weird bu tyou soon get used to them I guess still runnign in so it was dawdling about the track a bit, strangely quiet too, more so than the standard 991 gt3's. Did a lazy 1:45sec when I timed it.
Thanks for the Intel. Maybe it's a show car not a go car lol!

The RS detailing still hasn't gelled with me entirely but it is an aggressive looking car and not for wall flowers.

The drive down and back alone should have been sufficient for the break in, both Richard, Ron and myself gave it about 800km to "settle In" (Richard and I on the replacement engine, Ron from the showroom)before our first track day.

1.45 is ok if it was dawdling. I assume the barrier into the S complex before the front straight is still removed? Is that permanent? I'd like to try it as I figure it's got to be good for a few tenths...

I heard Bamber (I think) did a 1.39.5 at last years event in the red CCS 991 GT3 in stock trim. Sounds plausible. Best rolling lap I managed was 1.41.8. I reckon in standard trim the best I'm good for is another second on that. Last year the gillies guys played with swapping to Trofeo R out there and claimed they were faster by 2s a lap. I don't know about that, could have been the Pierreli press machine at work.

The 991 RS is good for a 39 there flat driven there by an owner with gusto I reckon. We may have to wait and see till Richard S gets his allocation if it happens. RS are shipped on new gen MPSC2 N1 so I'm curious to try those too to see if any difference...
Old 11-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Well said mate. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Buba if there is a 15 min lull In Proceedings offer up RSG as a demonstration. There will be at least 10 of us ready at the event who could done a helmet and overalls at short notice and head out. We will have been MSNZ scrutineered already on the Friday after all ....

My issue is with Chrome for Win 8. I post then it takes me often to a screen saying I have to wait 30s to repost then I have to back page and refresh to see my post. Royal PITA
Old 11-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Was Earl driving it Matt? Would be nice to see him allowed to give it a nudge!
I think Earl is present at the Dec event down there? Love to give him my keys and see how it's really done!!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
A while back, a girl rang my son and asked if he wanted to go to a movie. He asked her which one. When she replied with "X" he said, "no thanks I don't want to see that" and he hung up. No amount of explaining that it was about spending time together rather than seeing the movie registered with him. His EQ was minimal which is why engineering is his major

I take a different approach here. Do I really want to pay $370 to pootle around HD? No, I don't but I've entered anyway. I'll get a chance to go on the track for three days in a row, shoot the breeze with hopefully a lot of you, see some great cars etc. You get the idea. For me this is a three day Porsche fanboy fest and going on the track is a bonus. Heck, I may even do well. I doubt Paul will given his black flag history and he's the one organising this!

As a final note, if we don't support these events then their future reoccurence becomes less certain.
Post of the day - on multiple levels!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Hmmm... I was planning on going to the second weekend as I'm on holiday up north the first weekend. Cut short the holiday? Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think Earl is present at the Dec event down there? Love to give him my keys and see how it's really done!!
Yes he is here - was absolutly fanging a red gt3 around yesterday for it's owner in the pass seat . Apparently the guy just likes being taken for hotlaps in his own car!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Hmmm... I was planning on going to the second weekend as I'm on holiday up north the first weekend. Cut short the holiday? Decisions, decisions.
I initially planned to do both but the Korea trip has been confirmed to leave on the Sunday so dual sprints are out. Rightly or wrongly I feel that the first weekend is likely to have more energy as well.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?