Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015 | 11:52 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

-$15k for the work it needs and the fact it has been neglected for a long time.

Who knows though, stranger things have happened!
Old 10-30-2015 | 12:43 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Agree with Jake. Looks like the buyer will have to factor in the deferred maintenance. There are a good number of niggly things to take care of. No obvious obvious big ticket items. Credit to the the seller he is being very upfront about it
Old 10-30-2015 | 02:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Agree with Jake. Looks like the buyer will have to factor in the deferred maintenance. There are a good number of niggly things to take care of. No obvious obvious big ticket items. Credit to the the seller he is being very upfront about it
Where is the listing? I recall a similar car selling in Wellington a few years back in the mid 20s. How times have changed.
Old 10-30-2015 | 04:08 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Guys,

I know wheel spacers are considered illegal, but what is the story with extended studs and spacers - are these considered legal?

Cheers
Paul
Old 10-30-2015 | 04:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Apologies - double post
Old 10-30-2015 | 04:38 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Where is the listing? I recall a similar car selling in Wellington a few years back in the mid 20s. How times have changed.
No listing. Nick emailed the NZ 964 group
Old 10-30-2015 | 06:45 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Guys,

I know wheel spacers are considered illegal, but what is the story with extended studs and spacers - are these considered legal?

Cheers
Paul
If your car (VIN, not model) was delivered with spacers they're legal. If you're running spacers and your car wasn't delivered with them and you're without an LVVC then you're illegal. What you're using to fasten them to the hub doesn't play into it.
Old 10-30-2015 | 07:22 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default 2KCup BBQCTD outing

Dave, Doug and I had an interesting day today, with a few learnings. For my part, I had my first ever unplanned 4 wheel off track excursion, and I wasn't even driving. Went out in the passenger seat with Dave in BB2 at the 2Cup BBCTD and about 6 laps in her front left wheel decided that life would be better without the car. Pleased to say it happened in Turn 2 rather than Turn 1 at HD. Front left rim sheared clean off through the middle of the spokes, the remnants off which then managed to destroy the inside of the rim by gauging lots of holes in it. Dave shepherded her nicely off onto the outfield and eventually limped her off the circuit on the emergency space saver spare.

Name:  Dave and Trophy.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  240.1 KB

Those lighter rims have a downside, and now reckon we'd only want them on the back of the car at most.

We were offered full size replacement wheels from all directions and as one was being fitted Dave explained he was taking her home as he was concerned about potential damage to the suspension. I checked the rotor and said I'd be pretty keen to see how she'd go on the replacement track wheel so I wouldn't mind taking her out, but Doug said he'd also had his fill for the day and offered me the Grinch instead. In return, he got the yelllow beast to drive back as far as Chris's place. On my arrival 2 sessions earlier I'd seen there was still plenty of pads left on the Grinch - about 6-7mm all around - and with only about 30 minutes of track time left I was keen to get out there so threw on my gear and had some great tussles in very slippery conditions with occasional drizzle (it had started drizzling then rained for a minute a session or so earlier) over about 8 laps before the session ended.

As I came into the pits I saw another field gridding up on track for a practice start so lined up at the track entrance to head out behind them again. More great tussles on a slick surface, although a semi-dry line was appearing after the first few laps. I had a fast white Superstrut Levin holding on to my tail for much of the session, until it spun out following me into Turn 1. A burgundy Integra was not that far behind him and I was holding him off while making my way through slower traffic until I was held up in the sweeper by a very slow car on the dry line and the chasing Integra had better momentum coming out so took me up the straight. I did hold back off the slowie to get a run up on him at the exit, but just not quite enough. Think that was the only one to get by me up to that point but there was another behind to keep the pressure on. While holding that next one off I was a bit too optimistic when my brakes started to fade near the end of that last session.

Entering the hairpin, pedal just went to the floor and pumping it had no effect. Thanks to Neil's (exact same place) and Mark's previous experiences of brake failure, I had thought it through a fair bit so used the handbrake and steered strongly left to slew her into the corner sideways, first one way then the other to scrub speed. That worked pretty well and as her rear came round out wide on the second slew I could see the car behind me was close enough that I was best to put both feet in and max out the handbrake, letting her rotate right through while carrying through towards the outside edge without spearing off in some random direction. As she came around backwards, I realised that she was down to only about 20 or so kph so modulated the handbrake and reversed her through 90 degrees to essentially park on the outside of the bend, facing the track, and just off the seal. A quick look to check the track was clear and on we went again, though I took the sweeper gingerly and then slowed right down through the gears before the pit entrance chicane as she had no brakes up front, and only the handbrake had any effect on the rear.

So those were my first ever 4 wheels off track experiences as passenger and driver (aside from steering off once to wait for the tow truck after finishing a race with no clutch whatsoever), even be it driving off intentionally at the very end as I figured I'd be safer stopping off the track than stopping on it facing backwards, halfway to the exit of the hairpin. If that car wasn't still coming at me, a J-turn attempt might have been tempting as I could still brake the rears a bit. On checking the car after, the front pads were gone, down to the plates.

A bit more eventful than I (and no doubt Dave) would've hoped for but still a fun way to finish the week. Some of the things I took out of it then:

Check pads before every session.
If the pads begin to go off, don't count on having more than a couple of corners worth of (fading) braking left.
Glad I'd planned a response beforehand
Chucking a car sideways provides a lot more braking than expected (thanks Mark for sharing your similar response after the Enduro).
There is such a thing as track wheels that are too light.
Tracks that are just wet enough to be slick need low cornering speeds and extended braking zones, working the brakes harder for longer - but are not wet enough to provide extra brake cooling. The brakes will likely run hotter, wear faster, and may fail much earlier than expected.
Lastly, not news, but man, racing is fun!

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-30-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2015 | 03:51 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Default 19

19 Caymans for sale on TM! Big surge, pre Xmas sale!
Old 10-30-2015 | 09:19 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
19 Caymans for sale on TM! Big surge, pre Xmas sale!
And plenty of choice too. 981, 987 Gen 1 & 2, S or base, manual or tip/pdk. Pretty much every combo available.

Interesting that the only option not available is a low priced, higher miler Gen 1 Manual S suitable for race car conversion!
Old 10-31-2015 | 12:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Off to the Beach Bar to watch the ABs thrash the Wallabies. They better win as we will be surrounded by 100 Australians. Luckily the local village next door are all AB supporters (any team with the name including the word "blacks" is good by them!). The truck has been trawling town with two ABs flags last few weeks. you'd be proud Pete!!

Last edited by Macca; 10-31-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2015 | 12:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Off to the Breach Bar to watch the ABs thrash the Wallabies. They better win as we will be surrounded by 100 Australians. Luckily the local village next door are all AB supporters (any team with the name including the word "blacks" is good by them!). The truck has been trawling town with two ABs flags last few weeks. you'd be proud Pete!!
I spent the '90s at the Besa Club in that same situation and suffered a lot of last minute game reversals surrounded by feral Wallaby supporters like Garry Blake. Don't expect him to say well done when we win.
Old 10-31-2015 | 12:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I've just been to the car park let his tyres down and written your name on the dirt on the side of his truck John so all good mate :-)
Old 10-31-2015 | 01:55 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Ha ha :-)
Old 10-31-2015 | 02:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Almost now. Suns coming up for an AB win!!!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?