Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Jason, SELL and recycle the money into objects you will use more regularly. I did that and haven't looked back. With all due respect the 964 Turbo is not a track car and unless you can afford to keep a garage queen for decades then you will sell at some stage. Sell while the market is bouyant. One international finance hit and the buyers will disappear.
Fair call I guess. But I'd be interested in how much you will have spent on Hermann by the time you've finished, acknowledging for you the pleasure is in getting your hands dirty. And with all due respect the C4 isn't exactly a track car either with a basic weight not much less than the Turbo (40kg?) and wanting for 110hp. But I take your point.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Walter you're missing the point which is to avoid expensive wear on a 25 year old 160k gearbox not go the fastest. Now that John's spent the $$$ you are right... He'll be able to use other 964s as road cones
This point?:

Originally Posted by 996tnz
That said, if you're not racing and not gunning for record lap times you may as well take it a bit easier on your machine rather than spank it to the max every time out.
I think your approach is very sensible Doug. Track time costs enough without aiming to inflict a gearbox rebuild every few years.

Was making sure no-one misunderstood it as meaning that short shifting at max power was just as fast as running it up closer to the max. Pity about the handicap versus John though. Maybe you guys could run a mini-spec series with a reduced rev limit to even it up again.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:55 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Jason, the question you have to ask yourself is what do you want from your Porsche experience? We all have different needs and desires. You should write this down as it will guide your direction. A 997TT has the same short comings as your current car - fantasic GT, but not a track car, you will just be 2 sec up the road??
Yeah one car to rule them all. You probably have it right, but interestingly you're drawn back to the old. Like you say, it's all about emotion so it's all a bit pointless trying to rationalise it and come up with an answer.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll climb back into my hole now and get on with driving it.

In other news From an earlier post, Prestigio have said I need to go to a LVVC certifier and get written advice I don't need an LVVC because of the suspension change. Still annoys me that the assessor a would try to use this as a loophole for being not road legal after an event, even tho it was fitted by an OPC and issued with a WoF. They leave you with the ambiguity and therefore the risk. So does anyone know or have dealt with a compliant LVVC dude?

Warwick, what have you done with changing Mr Black's coils, even tho the others were non-original it suggests you may be in the same boat. Were original C4 suspension non-height adjustable?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in at Mag & Turbo today getting new tyres fitted to the family wagon and saw these. Now I'm not in the market for wheels but thought they almost had a Fuch look to them! Wonder how they would look on a 911.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2015, 12:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I was in at Mag & Turbo today getting new tyres fitted to the family wagon and saw these. Now I'm not in the market for wheels but thought they almost had a Fuch look to them! Wonder how they would look on a 911.
Awesome on a 997 probably, if strong and light.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Fair call I guess. But I'd be interested in how much you will have spent on Hermann by the time you've finished, acknowledging for you the pleasure is in getting your hands dirty. And with all due respect the C4 isn't exactly a track car either with a basic weight not much less than the Turbo (40kg?) and wanting for 110hp. But I take your point.
I will be in for $100k, the bulk of which is full engine build, gearbox rebuild and respray along with the usual while you are in there items.

The car will present and be functionally as new. Whether that's value or not is debatable. Most
would say not pointing out that a 'functional' 964 can be had for far less. Fair enough but it won't be the same quality that I'm aiming at.

What the Turbo and R led me to understand is that I want one car that does everything, is in excellent condition and makes me smile. Had I not been so upside down with the C4 I may well have stayed with the R.

I don't regret the decision as with Z221s the C4 is a sub 1.20 lapper at HD, runs in all weathers and is a reasonable DD in moving traffic.

The irony of this is that even with a high cost 964 I have less 'invested' in cars than at any other point over the last 3 years.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:24 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Crickey. A fair assessment.
You expect anything less from a man with far too much island time on his hands

I'm not laughing. Warwick, how much?
Yes but she's had a few enhancements.
we could go for a make-up drive.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:25 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996tnz
This point?:I think your approach is very sensible Doug. Track time costs enough without aiming to inflict a gearbox rebuild every few years.

Was making sure no-one misunderstood it as meaning that short shifting at max power was just as fast as running it up closer to the max. Pity about the handicap versus John though. Maybe you guys could run a mini-spec series with a reduced rev limit to even it up again.
Ha ha. That would work up to the point when we were side-by-side :-P
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Ha ha. That would work up to the point when we were side-by-side :-P
Yes, that sums it up for me.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

I will be in for $100k, the bulk of which is full engine build, gearbox rebuild and respray along with the usual while you are in there items. The car will present and be functionally as new. Whether that's value or not is debatable. Most would say not pointing out that a 'functional' 964 can be had for far less. Fair enough but it won't be the same quality that I'm aiming at. What the Turbo and R led me to understand is that I want one car that does everything, is in excellent condition and makes me smile. Had I not been so upside down with the C4 I may well have stayed with the R. I don't regret the decision as with Z221s the C4 is a sub 1.20 lapper at HD, runs in all weathers and is a reasonable DD in moving traffic. The irony of this is that even with a high cost 964 I have less 'invested' in cars than at any other point over the last 3 years.
I do agree. Despite the naysayers the C4 is a great all rounder.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to sell the Hondas and setup a new spec class.

http://www.petrolicious.com/cyclekarts

Add roll hoop
Lower & widen stance a bit
Fit two on a trailer.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be in for $100k, the bulk of which is full engine build, gearbox rebuild and respray along with the usual while you are in there items. The car will present and be functionally as new. Whether that's value or not is debatable. Most would say not pointing out that a 'functional' 964 can be had for far less. Fair enough but it won't be the same quality that I'm aiming at. What the Turbo and R led me to understand is that I want one car that does everything, is in excellent condition and makes me smile. Had I not been so upside down with the C4 I may well have stayed with the R. I don't regret the decision as with Z221s the C4 is a sub 1.20 lapper at HD, runs in all weathers and is a reasonable DD in moving traffic. The irony of this is that even with a high cost 964 I have less 'invested' in cars than at any other point over the last 3 years.
One car to rule them all. One car to bind them. Macca told me it was so years ago. And now I'm going to join him....

:-)

I like how you have mentally moved to 6 figures John. I'm betting you'll cap it at 100k now regardless if it ends up 105 as it probably will. Not bad from a car you bought 4 years back for 35k. Unfortunately I'm another 50k ahead of you. Time to stop counting aye as life is short and this is a relatively clean habit after all...

As your car will present and function "as new" does that mean the air con will finally be fixed? Say it is so John (or add another 2k to the bill).

I'm sorry mate. Sometimes I can't help myself ;-p
Old 10-09-2015, 02:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I do agree. Despite the naysayers the C4 is a great all rounder.
I took the R to Caffeine and classics, only to hear some plonker walk past reciting what Chris Harris had remarked about it needing more power. Obviously the bench racer had never driven one and I suspect it's the same with the C4. BTW I think Herman weighs 1,370 kg as driven.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
One car to rule them all. One car to bind them. Macca told me it was so years ago. And now I'm going to join him....

:-)

I like how you have mentally moved to 6 figures John. I'm betting you'll cap it at 100k now regardless if it ends up 105 as it probably will. Not bad from a car you bought 4 years back for 35k. Unfortunately I'm another 50k ahead of you. Time to stop counting aye as life is short and this is a relatively clean habit after all...

As your car will present and function "as new" does that mean the air con will finally be fixed? Say it is so John (or add another 2k to the bill).

I'm sorry mate. Sometimes I can't help myself ;-p
I will gas the air con, if it leaks I will drop the car weight by 17kg

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?