Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Stuart. Entirely agree. AI is something on the radar and Automotive is one of the first applications that will see commercial success. As the investor newsletter I posted points to Insurance Companies will driver this line commercially/economically which ties back with the initial discussion on insurance compliance hurdles. Insurance industry will lobby government - its a mega industry and will not be flanked by emerging technologies. The underwriting companies are powerful based in the USA and Europe. New Zealand is a long way away from acceptable base infrastructure in the first instance so it will be at least a few generations before the impact to us personally is an issue and by then Ill be driving a zimmer frame not a car. However it does not bode well for the pleasure motorist I confess. Its a little like the watch industry. Mechanical watch industry was turned upside down in the 70s by Digital revolution. But the romanticism of time keeping was lost by moving digits and the mechanical industry rebounded and fortified in the 90s and 2000s to become stronger than ever. Today Apple break the sector with their iWatch and my prediction is this is a turning point again for the industry. Today its driven by USP and convenience. Like the iPhone that I rejected for years and which has now proven to be my most irreplaceable lifestyle accessory (change out for iPad, Android phone etc as it pleases you) the iWatch and successive generations of personal wrist worn technology will soon again challenge the mechanical watch industry. Like vintage and collectable cars there will always be niche and subgroups willing to spend 10K-100K for a mechanical watch as a jewellery piece, status piece or simply because they are enthusiasts but already the likes of swatch, LVMH group, Fossill and others manufacturing traditional timepieces are reeling at the potential onslaught. Its a game changer for that industry just like self managing automotive systems, iCar, Tesla etc will become over the next few decades fused with AI databases cobbled by third party companies some yet known amalgamating data from wholesalers such as Google and Apple (who will likely try and gobble them up) as enablers for a true AI reality. If you were managing an investment fund today looking at the future you would need to be focusing on core suppliers to the industries of data management, robotics, hydraulics, switching tech, and enabling hardware (in some cases when the path becomes clearer) amongst others. The night is still young but the shape of the day that will come dawning is becoming clearer and clearer to those who take a moment to canvas the big picture.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John think it was you looking for finest gear for set up of driving simulator. This brand is much recommended by many...

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steerin...18-rsr-us.html
The high-end Fanatec stuff is good for the money (I have their Clubsport pedals, the G27 ones are rubbish without extensive DIY mods), but nowhere near the finest stuff available. You can easily spend $5k on just the steering wheel if you use gear such as SimSteering or SimExperience wheels. But there's no point spending megabucks on the gear unless you're using it with real simulation software - it seems hugely wasted on Gran Turismo/Forza/Project Cars level games that don't even attempt to reproduce realistic vehicle dynamics.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, I'm tempted as Project doesn't work with Logitech G27 wheels on the PS4 platform (it's a Logitech issue as they no longer support their wheels), but right now I'd be happy to be in the same country as the gear I have. This travel lark is getting old.
Understand John. You've had a heavy travel load this year and it doesn't look to abate till after September, but needs must and all of that! Looking at their site they have a very comprehensive set of quality offerings and the cost is not unrealistic IMO. As a person who spend less than 3 months in a row in any one fixed abode I also struggle with the investment vs return. Truth be told if I only lived in one place, in one house like is "normal" it would be full up of crap so my lifestyle actually does me some favours. Away almost a decade I still managed to fill two garages and many m3 of "stuff"! I am now in the consolidating phase but Ive learnt my lesson. its easy to fill your life with stuff but 10x harder to get rid of it!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Makes my eyes hurt. No, you cannot just sew a sparco suit to the dash and call it cool.
Without intending to insult your Germanic heritage Chris, I think its safe to say I've seen some of the most tragic fashion statements emanate from the Motherland!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Makes my eyes hurt. No, you cannot just sew a sparco suit to the dash and call it cool.
Just about laughed my liver out on that one Chris!

Without intending to insult your Germanic heritage Chris, I think its safe to say I've seen some of the most tragic fashion statements emanate from the Motherland!
Yes, and exteriors aren't exempt either:

Attachment 942141

Though Rinspeed do their best to outdo them for grotesque creations on behalf of the Swiss:

Attachment 942146

At least OK-Tuning's Germans had the excuse of having lifted it from a comedy. http://www.6speedonline.com/articles...6-manta-turbo/
Old 06-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...g-devices.html
Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've already posted my lederhosen here once...

Old 06-03-2015, 12:28 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That Manta Manta looks like a collection of confectionary marshmallow treats!

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Just about laughed my liver out on that one Chris!

Yes, and exteriors aren't exempt either:

Attachment 942141

Though Rinspeed do their best to outdo them for grotesque creations on behalf of the Swiss:

Attachment 942146

At least OK-Tuning's Germans had the excuse of having lifted it from a comedy. http://www.6speedonline.com/articles...6-manta-turbo/
Old 06-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Check out this character lol

Old 06-03-2015, 12:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Confirms my thoughts that we are pre-wired to know no limitations, except from the wallet. Without a hydraulic seat I think it's all degrees of a lack of realisim. I'll continue with my current set up while it amuses me. The next car expenditure is from tire rack, if the dollar improves, and the glimmer of hope I can make the NITT eventuates
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuart. Entirely agree. AI is something on the radar and Automotive is one of the first applications that will see commercial success. As the investor newsletter I posted points to Insurance Companies will driver this line commercially/economically which ties back with the initial discussion on insurance compliance hurdles. Insurance industry will lobby government - its a mega industry and will not be flanked by emerging technologies. The underwriting companies are powerful based in the USA and Europe. New Zealand is a long way away from acceptable base infrastructure in the first instance so it will be at least a few generations before the impact to us personally is an issue and by then Ill be driving a zimmer frame not a car. However it does not bode well for the pleasure motorist I confess. Its a little like the watch industry. Mechanical watch industry was turned upside down in the 70s by Digital revolution. But the romanticism of time keeping was lost by moving digits and the mechanical industry rebounded and fortified in the 90s and 2000s to become stronger than ever. Today Apple break the sector with their iWatch and my prediction is this is a turning point again for the industry. Today its driven by USP and convenience. Like the iPhone that I rejected for years and which has now proven to be my most irreplaceable lifestyle accessory (change out for iPad, Android phone etc as it pleases you) the iWatch and successive generations of personal wrist worn technology will soon again challenge the mechanical watch industry. Like vintage and collectable cars there will always be niche and subgroups willing to spend 10K-100K for a mechanical watch as a jewellery piece, status piece or simply because they are enthusiasts but already the likes of swatch, LVMH group, Fossill and others manufacturing traditional timepieces are reeling at the potential onslaught. Its a game changer for that industry just like self managing automotive systems, iCar, Tesla etc will become over the next few decades fused with AI databases cobbled by third party companies some yet known amalgamating data from wholesalers such as Google and Apple (who will likely try and gobble them up) as enablers for a true AI reality. If you were managing an investment fund today looking at the future you would need to be focusing on core suppliers to the industries of data management, robotics, hydraulics, switching tech, and enabling hardware (in some cases when the path becomes clearer) amongst others. The night is still young but the shape of the day that will come dawning is becoming clearer and clearer to those who take a moment to canvas the big picture.
Yes well as part of what I have been watching I concluded by watching this TED talk.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_howa...ge=en#t-478895

It spends a while showing how advanced computers already are, much more than one would think, and then points out at the end, there won't be many jobs left. When computers can do services and robotics can do manual work there isn't much left for people to get paid for. His solution is to change the system and separate productivity from income earning, good luck doing that! As you have said, problems for the future but I always think long term and worry for my as yet unborn children.

Having a little while ago read an economics piece showing a pie chart of how the London Stock Exchange was broken up by industry in the late 1800s versus today almost all of the industries are different. Railroads were huge, try making money off one of them these days! Those who don't think ahead quickly get left behind.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Pel
Can anyone point me to the best spot to get calipers repainted. Haslers want $350 per caliper.
Thats just silly money.
What calipers are you wanting to paint? The 930 or the 996?
If I were in Auckland Id try http://gtrefinishers.co.nz
Old 06-03-2015, 02:50 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Confirms my thoughts that we are pre-wired to know no limitations, except from the wallet. Without a hydraulic seat I think it's all degrees of a lack of realisim. I'll continue with my current set up while it amuses me. The next car expenditure is from tire rack, if the dollar improves, and the glimmer of hope I can make the NITT eventuates
John, if you're a realism junkie you could always upgrade directly to this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/othe...-895738227.htm

Just don't forget to invite us round for a blast!
Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Default 996 GT3

For those that like 996 GT3's and in particular MK1's I just saw this listing

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...bsport/4261897

Apparently the dealer is asking GBP 115,000.

Big price, so will be interesting to see if it moves quickly or hangs around.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:44 AM
mjg
Pro

Madness.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?