Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has to be a lot of car for the money

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-886157189.htm
Old 05-10-2015, 03:46 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
those blue tooth coms look interesting. Must work ok if they are designed for motorcycles. Most of the Targa race guys use Stilo coms matched to stilo helmets with built in headphone in helmet and mic also built in. Pretty much same as you see on WRC. Some also use Peltor brand but they are not interchangeable so driver and co driver must use same system.

http://www.namsport.co.nz/products/h...ercoms/wrc-03/
They are interchangeable. You just need a small, expensive adapter. I have a Stilo WRC EVO Intercom with Bluetooth and a Peltor intercom we use as backup. I have a Stilo helmet and my co-driver has a Peltor. I have adapters to convert from Stilo to Peltor and vice-versa. Stilo sells them.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:49 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

LoL you guys aren't slow round here. I emailed him a few hours ago. If you wanted a 996TT this would probably be the one. Still can't decide if I'd regret letting the 993 go.... or if a 996 GT3 would be a better suited car. The 996TT is a great all rounded... the 993 such a long term classic... hmmmm.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
LoL you guys aren't slow round here. I emailed him a few hours ago. If you wanted a 996TT this would probably be the one. Still can't decide if I'd regret letting the 993 go.... or if a 996 GT3 would be a better suited car. The 996TT is a great all rounded... the 993 such a long term classic... hmmmm.
Even had me rethinking the Cayman plan....

I have a bit of a fascination for these and blue manual with X50 ticks all the boxes. (May last 6 months though)
Old 05-10-2015, 04:20 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Even had me rethinking the Cayman plan....

I have a bit of a fascination for these and blue manual with X50 ticks all the boxes. (May last 6 months though)
I've been deliberating for the last couple of weeks after the silver one popped up and then saw one today in my home town and thought wow that looks nice as I came up from behind and then realised as I passed it that it was a 996TT! It's got me thinking!
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2015, 04:21 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Only a few more days to go now

Old 05-10-2015, 04:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Even had me rethinking the Cayman plan.... I have a bit of a fascination for these and blue manual with X50 ticks all the boxes. (May last 6 months though)
What's the Cayman plan? You already have one. Just finished a couple of superb morning runs in the R. I can't get over how good it was through the twisties. As long as Macca couldn't find a place to use all of his horsepower the R was on his tail. The brakes were progressive, and suspension never felt too soft or too hard. Perfect.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Only a few more days to go now
Yep - and doing it in Chris's 996TT Nothing like a bit of first hand experience.

Originally Posted by John McM
What's the Cayman plan? You already have one. Just finished a couple of superb morning runs in the R. I can't get over how good it was through the twisties. As long as Macca couldn't find a place to use all of his horsepower the R was on his tail. The brakes were progressive, and suspension never felt too soft or too hard. Perfect.
No plan other than driving the current one (unless you have a change of heart - though that sounds unlikely )

You guys certainly copped a good break in the weather once you got past Friday night. Good driving?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

No plan other than driving the current one (unless you have a change of heart - though that sounds unlikely ) You guys certainly copped a good break in the weather once you got past Friday night. Good driving?
No plans at all to sell. With the ongoing arms race out there Herman would have been a handful running at the pace set by Doug and Macca. The R kept me in the pack. It will interesting to see what the GT4 does compared to the GT3. The R is so well set up for B roads that it may have an advantage on the twisty stuff.

Absolutely perfect perfect weather today, and not bad at all yesterday. Cold when starting so careful to get heat in the tyres before pushing it, but then it was follow the leader.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome driving Peter. John has a who;le new turn of speed in the Cayman R. I actually have to work hard in the GT3 to shake him. We repeated the run of Dougs we did in Jan again today and both Doug and I came in about the same time as before for the run (mid 16 mins), so that wasnt too bad, given this time we started in much colder conditions (tyres particularly) and had to work up into it. John was only a minute behind in the R but to be fair it was only his first time doing that run. Paul put in a very brave attempt in the 993, but local knowledge had Dougie disappear eventually. Pauls 993 has such a nice chassis, only lacks power in the straights but gobbles the corners up as quickly as teh newer machinery, just takes more work to get it there and you are always closer to the edge when you are working that envelope leaving little room for error. The R is plenty quick enough on NZ roads, turns in well and balanced and small enough to place on the road. The RS60 Boxster still sounds nicer than the R IMO due to the sports exhaust and the colour contrast of hood and leather still make it an exquisite machine to look at static and on the move. The GT3 continues to amaze. A fire breathing monster when you are "on it" nothing will touch it even in the tight stuff when its spanked, but then a pussycat when you've had enough and just want to cruise. Sound is truely epic and it helps for keeping the cattle and Pukekos off the road of which we had a few this weekend. Grip was not as abundant on Saturday as our early morning out saw us playing on damp and foggy roads to Old Russell but still we all had a ball and the road back was better yet with heat coming into the tarmac and more traction. The run to Bland Bay and back was a Banzai run and Ill throw some footage up later. Today's driving was sublime. Targa speeds through the most part although we kept our peak speeds well in check as really its not a skill to nail the loud pedal to insane speeds in a straight line. A few code brown moments over the Sat session for all due to traction but today pretty good although Paul lost concentration for a moment but collected it to save a home goal.

All in all Epic weekend. Good for testing the reflexes and to start to get the muscle memory back again. Looks like Targa could be wet so the 993 will be testing. Need more seat time in it but will have to grow into it on the day!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:22 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Luke. Join RSG and get on board with the NITT and next years SITT which is shaping up to be epic...
Roger that. Email sent.

That used to run big grey Techart wheels did it not?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996 Turbos seem ludicrously undervalued at the moment, there are a couple of them in tip form floating around at 50-60k. This one would have to be one of the better examples to 'invest' in with the X50 kit in manual format. Not sold on the AeroKit from the images but could be one of those things that is more aggressive and better looking in the flesh.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Luke. Your application is under consideration. All looking good :-)

Headsets were received last week and tested up very well. Chris B did some more extensive testing on them the week before. They are very good value for money, well made and thought out etc especially for the outlay...
Old 05-10-2015, 06:08 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

That has to be the best 996tt I've seen around for a long time, tempted to sell mine and buy this one, especially now mine is no longer a daily drive so no need for tip...
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

The 966 turbo was my car that I sold to purchase my gt3. She is beautifully specced and looks much better in the flesh than in the photos. She had tech art mags when I owned her and a tech art sports exhaust that was amazing with the best sound I have heard from a turbo inside and out. No droning at all. I would repeat what was told to me when I bought it , it is the highest specced turbo that was imported to NZ and she is devastating in second gear and great on the track. I am thinking she would look good in the garage but I would be so pleased if one of the group kept her close enough for me to see her every now and again.
Nostalgia .........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?