Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:36 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely the best day I've had on track yet - a combination of getting all the bits working together bit by bit and the great team that's building around these Playdays. The format is working really well and counting the guys who couldn't make it this time due to Easter I think we'll have a great group to keep it going. Serious food overload down at the pit garage and then at Steve's afterwards!

Paul - you'll note I had to drop back on the motorway home just for the view of that rear. Go on and scratch that itch! And looks like you have a plan to get the C3 back on track soon?

Glad to hear you came away with a better sense of what to do with the C4 John. I may still change out the springs for something a touch firmer in time and will do the wishbones and possibly some wevo engine mounts at the same time. The biggest changes have come from new Bilstein HDs, RS ARBs front and rear - full hard at the rear and full soft up front - and slightly more tire (225/45) at the front. All of those things have dialed out the understeer and made it as neutral as possible on track so it turns in easily and feels very nimble. Then the Hankook 221 C70 (softs) which were a revelation. I have no previous experience on track tires and these just blew me away - stuck like glue all day. All of that equalled a huge smile when I got home!

Macca - great to see (and HEAR) your 'project' in the flesh - it is simply gorgeous and the noise coming down the straight and into turn 1 was epic. With the PSS10s dialed in for track and some new tires you'll be laughing.

Top day everyone - roll on 4th May!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. My pleasure. It was very exciting. I have attached a few scree shots from the GoPro video. The video is great. Theres a picture of the dust settling after the epic 360 LOL!

Peter. Good to see you too. Your car seems nicely set up and I think that wheel/tyre combo is just brilliant.

This was my first track day since 2005 apart from two hours DE at Taupo Track during the Porsche Parade last year. It takes a while to dial back in. Overall I was very impressed with the track, facilities and organisation. Having Ray on hand for three sit in laps was vital to starting to get the lines right.

Its a big learning curve that is for sure. As Peter elluded my biggest lesson was tyres and camber. With the suspension I have and the camber I was running (very aggressive) it was way too much for street tyres. They were going off every session by lay 6 and later in the day even quicker. When Paul drive it after only 15 minutes cool down those things were off by lap 3 and it was screeching and sliding from there. Sitting one session out certainly improved their performance.

Next time I join you at HD (maybe September?) I will have the camber dialled back, and bring better tyres or buy some of the Hankook Peter is using for my Cup 17s. Some different sway bar and PSS10 settings would be good by Id need Steve R to take a drive and make some suggestions. Another 3-4 outing with Ray would really help too and after that loosing a bum on a seat would assist in weight reduction.

For those that are interested I was easily able to accurately extrapolate my lowest track times from GoPro footage.

Session
1) = 1.28
2) = 1.26
3) = 1.24
4) = 1.23
5) = Sat out due to additional lap with Paul. Tyres knackered.
6) = 1.22

Paul managed a 1.20 in heavy traffic drifting the corners. I thought he did well in a car with an extra gear he hadnt driven before. Reminded me of the Ruf Yellow-bird Ring video a bit!

Guys, it was a wonderful day and worth the trip back to NZ! Great company and organisation, big thanks to Steve R and family for their generosity and Peter M for lunch time food along with Mrs R. It was really great to meet many Ive only known via posts this board. This track thingy is very very addictive i can see and Im gutted ill only beable to join you maybe 2-3 times a year, but its something great to look forward to each visit so keep at it - its a great gig!
Attached Images     
Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. That looks like a nice Mk1 GT3! I remember seeing if for sale 2-3 years ago by the same dealer. If I recall it sold for 85k then. Looks like a nice example and if you could do the deal at 73k.....well you know what my views are on that....LOL!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Go LESBOT RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Another 996 GT3 for $80K. Anyone know the history??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-577627559.htm
My Brother is down in Welly ATM, he looked it over and said it was tidy. The sales person didnt even go and talk to him which pi$$ed him off.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Glad to hear you came away with a better sense of what to do with the C4 John. I may still change out the springs for something a touch firmer in time and will do the wishbones and possibly some wevo engine mounts at the same time. The biggest changes have come from new Bilstein HDs, RS ARBs front and rear - full hard at the rear and full soft up front - and slightly more tire (225/45) at the front. All of those things have dialed out the understeer and made it as neutral as possible on track so it turns in easily and feels very nimble. Then the Hankook 221 C70 (softs) which were a revelation. I have no previous experience on track tires and these just blew me away - stuck like glue all day. All of that equalled a huge smile when I got home!
Opinions vary on the C4. I think it's all relative. Paul said your car was well balanced and a pleasure to drive fast. That's what I want.

BTW: just spoke to Simon. He just won the NZ Porsche Trophy. It was his rookie year. He said our group was a topic of conversation. The racers are trying to work out how to get us interested in taking it further. I relayed my personal opinion that its about me having a good experience and progressing within my capabilities and budget. I'd love to see a form of racing that evens things out. Maybe handicaps with staggered starts. I'm nowhere near racing door to door anytime soon. I'd be a danger to others and myself. However, I'd happily go out in the 964 chasing a rabbit with a race short enough to cope with the types of tyres we run.

Last edited by John McM; 03-30-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I'd love to see a form of racing that evens things out. Maybe handicaps with staggered starts. I'm nowhere near racing door to door anytime soon. I'd be a danger to others and myself. However, I'd happily go out in the 964 chasing a rabbit with a race short enough to cope with the types of tyres we run.
LOL re the rabbit! Visions of greyhounds running 200m!

Early days for me but I can feel the slightly competitive urge to 'have a go' coming on.... Pretty much every day on track this summer has been dry so in a funny kind of a way I'm looking forward to going out when its a bit damp and seeing how the car control skills hold up then.

I'd also be pretty keen at some stage to try a couple of other tracks. Have been around Manfield and Ruapuna in the past but only controlled environment stuff. A trip down taking in Taupo and Manfield could be a good long w/e if it could be arranged - not sure how practical that would be but maybe something the guys at Playday could facilitate. An opportunity to drive some good roads there and back as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
He said our group was a topic of conversation. The racers are trying to work out how to get us interested in taking it further. I relayed my personal opinion that its about me having a good experience and progressing within my capabilities and budget. I'd love to see a form of racing that evens things out.
In my view - wind back the clock 10 years. Allow cars on the track that are road cars and not out and out race cars with cages. I understand Trade Zone series don't need cages but there is a speed bar of 1.24 at Hamptons.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 03-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Trade Zone services?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Everyone is going to have a different view of this. You need a large populace to get enough people who share the same idea of nirvana together to make a group.

I quite like the idea Peter has mentioned. A kinda 4 day "tour" of North Island tracks, say 10 guys and their cars and maybe one instructor who knows all 3-4 tracks to tag along and give guidance on lines. Drive during the day, meals together in the evening, road touring afternoon and early morning, could be a lot of fun. For those that wish to progress to Bridgestone series this would be a valuable lesson on tracks such as Manfield and Taupo...

In terms of pushing the groups mandate my personal view is to just let it take on its on development for a while. The reason its held together for 3-4 meets is simply that its very relaxed and no structured. For example the young lad with the 997.2 GT3, he rocked in, blew out about 4 sessions of sub 1.14 laps (from my reckoning) then went home when his tank was empty. He didnt feel like hanging about talking about old Porsches and hey, thats his prerogative , he got what he needed and left. If Fridays group was a typical cross section then you have people who are using their daily drivers, some that are using their dedicated track cars, some with weekend toys and others like myself and Sean who are occasional "guests". Whatever it is its seems to be working so far and its a great place to learn racecraft in more controlled environment and take from it what you please. For those wanting a more "race" like experience then getting in with the other groups like Paul did when we went out in the 993 and diced it with others gives you that option too albeit in a less controlled environment. Its a bit of a renegade group I guess but fun is still the key goal here not competition....

John has made an interesting point however, that over time the group may decide to split out a bit and form a more competitive element, maybe a casual "opt in" during the day to pair cars together on some common grounds or using a "handicap" basis to create some competitiveness.

What ever it becomes (or doesn't become) its so far as I can see developing slowly into a permanent fixture the first test of its robustness and from this point onwards its really up to the efforts of the participants to take it further. Steve R has been incredibly generous with his resources for no commercial gain and the enthusiasm of guys like Sean really helped launch this and hopefully that type of spirit by others in the group will continue to ensure its a more permanent fixture...cant wait to see how it develops next. A name maybe?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

IMHO this is very similar to Golf. In that sport you compete against others but the real goal is to improve your own game. You also have to have a regular core group to make a foursome and that comes by having people enjoy the game as played by your group. If you're an A-hole you run out of players wanting to play with you. However, equally it's hard to enjoy the game when the player standard is wildly different. I'd be keen on seeing different tracks in the same format we do now. Some are an easy long weekend away. We could add interest with a staggered start race at some point. Fastest at the front, staggered start, the goal being to narrow the difference with the car in front. That way the slower drivers get to the follow the faster car lines and don't risk a pile up.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Trade Zone services?
Dooh typo - Trade Zone racing series
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it - wasn't familiar with that series. When you say 1.24 limit you mean cars can't go faster than that or must go faster than that?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

you guys need a series like the Intermarque sprints held at manfield over the winter. 4 meetings and its been going 20 years.
http://www.thesurgery.co.nz/automobi...ion-wellington

1 warm up lap and 3 flying laps, paired up with 1 other car of similar pace. points for fastest timed lap in classes modified and unmodified(showrrom) classes by engine size.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.thesurgery.co.nz/automobi...ion-wellington

whoops sorry

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?