Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013 | 05:34 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Regarding the "approved driver training course" clause, at the last HD track day Steve showed me a list of what he was hoping to get Prestigio to agree to regarding the RSG sessions. One of these was the 15 car limit, which has gone through formally I think. Another was a suggested list of approved driver training courses, and this included PCNZ and BMW driver training days. For people who hadn't done such a course, Steve was proposing to go out with them for a couple of sessions to give instruction (which is what he did for Sam T).

I don't know how much of Steve's list has been approved, but hopefully this clause won't be a big deal for most RSG people. Steve was planning on posting the Prestigio information on the RSG board once it's all been signed off.
Old 08-02-2013 | 06:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey David. Did you get the wheels today? Are they as you expected. Hope so. I seriously haven't seen them for years....
Yes, very nice thanks Macca. Perfect condition and complete with center caps. I have the 9 incher in the lounge with me now.....
Old 08-02-2013 | 06:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Called it a night for lack of an M5 nut in the house. Looking OK so far. Note the lightweight drilled pull strap (AKA the holes in the XL dog collar). I quite like that. Eliminating the tweeter with a new 4" 2 way speaker. The other half hasn't even sat in it yet so I'm working up to suggesting she do the upholstery work in the weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013 | 06:48 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
What's happening at Taupo on the 9th???
Small track day with lots of track time, there may be one slot left (someone has just pulled out) if you're interested.

Last edited by mjg; 08-02-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2013 | 06:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Called it a night for lack of an M5 nut in the house. Looking OK so far. Note the lightweight drilled pull strap (AKA the holes in the XL dog collar). I quite like that. Eliminating the tweeter with a new 4" 2 way speaker. The other half hasn't even sat in it yet so I'm working up to suggesting she do the upholstery work in the weekend.
A talented household. Do you know how to work fibreglass? I'm intrigued by fitting a ducktail to the existing 964 lid. I can use the Rennspd tail as a starting form and work on my currently spare lid.
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
A talented household. Do you know how to work fibreglass? I'm intrigued by fitting a ducktail to the existing 964 lid. I can use the Rennspd tail as a starting form and work on my currently spare lid.
Done a bit of work with it with my bike frames but never made a mould before. A moulded duck on a factory lid seems easier than making a full moulded lid fit. Can't be too hard could it?
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Glad to hear the wheels came with caps. Bonus!

I eliminated the tweeter with the new CF cards. I went for a 6 1/2 Focal co axial speaker which had been tried and tested by the RL 993 guys in the standard door frame. The factory speaker is 5 1/4 but these new speakers had a thinner frame and fit right in without mod. Apparently they sound really good too. They are Focal Polyglass 165CVX and were approx $300 nzd the pair via ebay. They have the cross over mounted in the rear so simple wiring job. Spec sheet attached below. May be an idea for your project - link below for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCAL-165CVX...item1e5d758975
Attached Images    
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
polyglass_165_cvx.pdf (1.06 MB, 95 views)
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Done a bit of work with it with my bike frames but never made a mould before. A moulded duck on a factory lid seems easier than making a full moulded lid fit. Can't be too hard could it?
I got the idea when I dismantled the Techart. It needs no modification to the normal lid and bolts on very securely. We could take the form off the ducktail and use the same fixing idea.
Attached Images     
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:41 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I'm a little embarrassed to say Macca that I stopped at Repco on the way home for my speaker fix. Won't even say how much they were. I contemplated a stereo delete but thought I'd set the door cards up for speakers in case I want them later so needed some speaker covers. Haven't bought car audio stuff for years and hasn't it got cheaper?
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:43 AM
Maxem
Drifting

John, That sounds like an interesting idea. We should strategise on the 11 th.
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. It could be done but it would have to be a clam shell design that covered the whole steel lid surface area to get the right taper off the duck tail to the lower leading edge. It would be heavier than the standard lid with retractable spoiler IMO although it may give the right aesthetic (although the side angle may look awkward).

Ive been following the 3D printing idea and following a few RLers and working on some ideas with them. This is a really interesting technology. Industrially its possible soon to make relatively low cost metal parts for our cars although at the moment we are playing with resin and nylon.
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Like the guy printing his replica Aston Martin bit by bit?

Anyway, I've nothing to lose by trying a mock up. I don't think many people know that a ducktail is not a cheap option. I'm thinking it will be $2,000 when all painted. A more economical option might have a market.

Last edited by John McM; 08-02-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2013 | 07:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'm a little embarrassed to say Macca that I stopped at Repco on the way home for my speaker fix. Won't even say how much they were. I contemplated a stereo delete but thought I'd set the door cards up for speakers in case I want them later so needed some speaker covers. Haven't bought car audio stuff for years and hasn't it got cheaper?
Dave. You are damn right. I upgraded the existing speakers in the factory door cards to 5 1/4 Boston acoustics with separate tweater and X over box 10 years ago and paid $800 for that set then. Today you could buy two cars worth of "quality" speakers for the same price. I do like my sounds when Im touring although the 993 isnt the right environment to get any quality sound.

I like the door pull idea by the way. I have the red nylon ones going in next week but your idea is a good one for when these eventually need replacing.

Have a look at these factory RS door pulls. I thought to knock the silver block out and replace with a piece of nice laminated and satin finished bamboo wood could make a nice touch....
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013 | 08:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

There's no harm in trying if you have the time. I know a bit about painting a car but I have no played with cloth & resin other than to repair my old surfboard as a kid, but its definitely an art. Lots of practice will do it. I have a large ducktail file from when I researched it for my 993. The best one I found to date was a one off made in a guys garage that takes the standard 993 grill insert. He did a GT3 style rear bumper too. They are perfect. But he owns a design company working in fibreglass...
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2013 | 08:06 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. You are damn right. I upgraded the existing speakers in the factory door cards to 5 1/4 Boston acoustics with separate tweater and X over box 10 years ago and paid $800 for that set then. Today you could buy two cars worth of "quality" speakers for the same price. I do like my sounds when Im touring although the 993 isnt the right environment to get any quality sound.

I like the door pull idea by the way. I have the red nylon ones going in next week but your idea is a good one for when these eventually need replacing.

Have a look at these factory RS door pulls. I thought to knock the silver block out and replace with a piece of nice laminated and satin finished bamboo wood could make a nice touch....
You've nailed it. Great idea. I bought 6 genuine bezels from Design 911 not really knowing that the door pull ones are different to the door release one. I have 6 door release versions so have to go to a plan B for the pull handle. I'll fabricate an Aluminium one and see how it looks. I fitted 2 rivnuts to the door sheet metal at 150mm ctrs which was about the only place to put them so will play about with some handle shapes and will likely go with an exposed fixing each end.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?