Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul the offer is still there if you have itchy feet.
Deal

I'll come down to say hi to the crew and work the BBQ........
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Nik. No its 100 pages A4 bound and called 0.3.1994 Version Work Shop Manual. Essentially it is the full supplementary manual to the Audi 80 manual 08 1994. Essentially it covers in detail all systems electrical, hydraulic, engine and brakes that differ by Porsche over the original Audi Avant.

Its pretty typical of the stuff Ive been uncovering this week from rare Porsche brochures to early Christopher. The women s refuse will be wearing lots of nice 1990s gear over the next few months LOL!. Have now given away or throw out almost 3 cubic metres of stuff. CD stereos in boxes, what are they worth, apparently nothing these days, take em away!

John I'm assuming you have the 3.6T Brochure & Exclusive books for your model car?

Some good ideas for Pauls car here. A 3.6 transplant into this car will work well as the suspension is already sorted. later on when budget allows you could back date to long hood if you wanted for ST or RS outlaw/replica...I quite like some of the ideas Magnus Walker has done on his cars...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That's Simon's old RS with the Heigo half cage installed?

John. Im hoping to catch up with Scott so will give that strip and jack to him tomorrow to give to you....
Macca, the last time I saw Simon's car was 2002, so all I remember is that it was red. He sold it shortly after I took him out in the Turbo 3.6. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but he did say "my car doesn't do this" on the short blast down the back roads in Napier.

I'll bring your cash on Friday. Fingers crossed that the C4 gets a clean bill of health tomorrow. The bypass makes it sound like a bucket of bolts are in the exhaust.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sounds good John. I suspect its louder at Idle than your 964T by some margin. Sounds like idle is 850 rpm?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sounds good John. I suspect its louder at Idle than your 964T by some margin. Sounds like idle is 850 rpm?
It is very much louder than the Turbo 3.6 I get a text from Scott each time I go past his house so it's not for shrinking violets.

Not sure of the exact RPM but its around that. The idle adaptation took about 15 seconds and has definitely stabilised the idle. It no longer dips when I depress the clutch coming up to the lights. It never stalled on me, but it was annoying.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John I'm assuming you have the 3.6T Brochure & Exclusive books for your model car?...
No, I haven't got any Porsche original literature. Be good to see what you've got.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Paul, questions to ask yourself?

How much do you love your car?
What does it owe you?
Would it be a cool car to turn into an Outlaw style car.

If I were you I would look at purchasing/importing a damaged low km 911 or 964 and transplant the engine into your car. You should be able to get a fair bit of money back from other parts from the parts car.
In answer to your questions:

I like it lots, lots of memories and stories.

I'm too embarrassed to say how much it owes me. It's fair to say any any old 911 Porsche is going to cost you $20-30K to mechanically sort (excluding engine rebuild) and $20K to cosmetically restore and $10K a year to go to the track. Depends on how you value servicing and track day fees etc, but it's been close to a $100K hobby over 5 years probably.

Mechanically the car is sorted with totally rebuilt brakes, suspension, gear box etc.

In response to your outlaw, I'm thinking the smart-ish solution would be to build an RS MFI engine, and make a 74-76 RS replica, the real version of these cars sell for north of $150K AUD, and a C3 is basically an identical car but with a 3.0 CIS engine instead of the legendary RS engine. This would give the car some intrinsic value as RS MFI type engines are very desirable, valuable and would hold its value. There is a 240hp fresh engine in Aussie I can buy. A 40hp jump on MFI should find a second or 2 at Hamptons!

The next stage could be to back date it into a total RS replica at some stage further down the track. I'd be quite keen to paint it a 70's colour like continental orange or lime green

Dropping in a hotrod SC or 3.2 Carrera engine would kill it's value I think and not really an option.

The other option is to buy a racing C3 I know of. Its not a pretty car, but the engine and box were recently rebuilt using webbers and high compression pistons and the car runs circa 250hp. I could drop the engine into my car and sell off the rest of the car for bits. The only down side is I don't know the true condition of the engine and may incur the same problem in 12months.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-05-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Some good ideas for Pauls car here. A 3.6 transplant into this car will work well as the suspension is already sorted. later on when budget allows you could back date to long hood if you wanted for ST or RS outlaw/replica...I quite like some of the ideas Magnus Walker has done on his cars...
Macca,

If I install a modern engine - I may not be able to run in TOCCOC events, you need a classic engine, otherwise everyone would install Lexus V8's, Corvette ZR1's etc and you kill the idea of classic racing.

3.6 conversion limits what you can do, but 280hp in 1,100kgs would be very scary...........
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, the last time I saw Simon's car was 2002, so all I remember is that it was red. He sold it shortly after I took him out in the Turbo 3.6. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but he did say "my car doesn't do this" on the short blast down the back roads in Napier.
That is Simons old car.
When he sold his 993 RS he replaced it with a Cayenne, due to the then growing family - well so he told me.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PCNZ members will have received information about some interesting events coming up:

- Apr 6: BMW car club driver training, Taupo. I did this last year and it was a good day, with a small handful of Porsche drivers and Racing Ray was one of the instructors. Only downer was that we only used the short track; I'm not sure whether it's the same this year.

- Apr 14: "Not Your Usual Porsche Drive", South Auckland. Sounds like a serious drive from the description!

- May 25/26: Rennsport Australia. Travel package details now available. Prices range from about $1200 up, depending on accommodation. NZ 911, be interesting to know whether this is competitive with what you could organise yourself?

- June/July 2014: Europe Tour. This has to go on the Lotto list for me: not just the cost but also I'd never manage a month off work!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That is Simons old car.
When he sold his 993 RS he replaced it with a Cayenne, due to the then growing family - well so he told me.
He was looking at a Cayenne at one stage, although never followed through. Aside from the old Nissan SUV he had I think the only new purchase at the time was his 355.....
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

That is Simons old car.
He owns a 355 fezza now!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
PCNZ members will have received information about some interesting events coming up:

- Apr 6: BMW car club driver training, Taupo. I did this last year and it was a good day, with a small handful of Porsche drivers and Racing Ray was one of the instructors. Only downer was that we only used the short track; I'm not sure whether it's the same this year.

- Apr 14: "Not Your Usual Porsche Drive", South Auckland. Sounds like a serious drive from the description!

- May 25/26: Rennsport Australia. Travel package details now available. Prices range from about $1200 up, depending on accommodation. NZ 911, be interesting to know whether this is competitive with what you could organise yourself?

- June/July 2014: Europe Tour. This has to go on the Lotto list for me: not just the cost but also I'd never manage a month off work!
I will 90% likely go to the Rennsport Aussie. All my Aussie Porsche mates tell me its going to be huge. The good thing about the travel package is the transfers etc. are all sorted. No faffing about trying to get to places. You're only going to save a few hundred by getting odd plane flight hours.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 03-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Currently Im trying to talk Jo into a trip to Sydney in May. Shall see how this goes and revert.

John, you will meet Todd on Friday (hes running M5 in open class). Hes tasked with selling the 2 cubic metres of boxes of stuff from my storage. Its mostly Porsche books and models (some good ones mostly recent and unread, heaps on Steve McQueen like the original hardback "A french kiss with Death" etc, some 964 Brochures (C2+C4), exclusive catalogues, around 50 of the later model white brochure booklets etc. Theres also 50+ 1-18th scale Porsche models (minichamps, Pauls model art, Auto Art) and a whole host of other paraphernalia. Interestingly if Simon still has his F355 I have the rare "355 World Tour" book and also the Automobilia F355 book. Theres a tonne of Ducati books and brochures from my 966 foray and also for anyone into watches there are about 30+ Watch Brochures (Panerai, IWC, Rolex, and some isoteric stuff) as well as some collectable books on Rolex sports watches and Panerai. basically a sh*t load of stuff (literally 300kg worth!). He will document and if your interested send you a list of whats there before it all goes on ebay.

Speaking of 993 RS I have a genuine 993RS wheel and tyre which is in great condition has been turned into a coffee table with shatter proof glass. It simply isnt going to fit into storage and is a pick up only. if someone wants it for what I paid for it 10 years ago they are welcome ($500). The wheel alone is probably worth over $1000 usd in this condition these edays...its a curiosity but has some intrinsic and future value...

Paul. i really am starting to like your MFI idea. Buy a newly rebuilt engine if possible drop it straight in and continue to enjoy the pursuit of happiness. I guess you could get something for the blown engine - enough to cover the install of the new one anyhow....
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Are you still thinking Dual Mass flywheel for your 964? If so Scott probably wont be taking this now so let me know as he could pick it up with the other stuff. You may have solved your LWFC issue but from experience this may come back again or it may not. The idle stabalisation can have somewhat mixed results over time (it wasnt a feature for 993 so I never played with it on the hammer but I know plenty about the LWFC from an engine ECU perspective and why it happens as i had to learn all about this when going to LINK). I guess only time will tell...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?