Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm turning into a wheels ***** - what do you think John??
Sorry Paul but that's 50 shades of wrong!

Originally Posted by John McM
I like the cup 2s on the 993.
Yep - there are others that work but for a standard NB they are the ones.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Bring both on NITT John like Im doing. My wife needs someone to drive slow down with so her and Donna could convoy behind the boys doing Ron's dash....
Ditto that - I'd like Kim to bring the Cayman down so I'm trying to find a way to trailer the 944 as I don't fancy rattling its cage on a 1,000km round trip.... maybe have to buy a Cayenne....
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I've decided to try Lola (1990 964 C2) as my DD for a week or two. If I needed to sell one of my p-cars I want to have a feel for living with the old girl on a daily basis vs my 07 Boxster S. Sure is different to the modern Boxster in heavy traffic with a heavy clutch and its lack of creature comforts. Makes me wonder what they were like compared with other cars back when new in 1990. I think at that time I drove a new silver Mazda 323 1.6l manual and thought it was just great.

There really is plenty of head turning I hear it coming character in the 964 in 2014 though.
Attached Images     
Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^^^ looks like a bug in rennlist for ipad when you upload an image, delete it, then upload another

Here's Lola in her street footwear
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ditto that - I'd like Kim to bring the Cayman down so I'm trying to find a way to trailer the 944 as I don't fancy rattling its cage on a 1,000km round trip.... maybe have to buy a Cayenne....
Mate. Sounds like a good plan. Let me know if you go with that plan with Kim so I can tell Jo.

John, is Donna coming? You may have to fit the passenger seat in Herman!

Anyone else wife coming? I'm pretty sure Mandy is. The Hilton is a draw card. Happy wife happy life....
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Yes John , I talked with Klint about his car , but the timing was out for me .
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I've decided to try Lola (1990 964 C2) as my DD for a week or two. If I needed to sell one of my p-cars I want to have a feel for living with the old girl on a daily basis vs my 07 Boxster S. Sure is different to the modern Boxster in heavy traffic with a heavy clutch and its lack of creature comforts.
Doug - I sold the 964 for the Cayman because I couldn't see the C4 as a DD. On the other hand John is doing exactly that with his C4 so what do I know! Giving it a go is the right way to do it and especially in winter with conditions at their worst.

The issue for me was the commuting time in heavy traffic with that clutch. One day I spent 45 minutes crawling from the bridge through to Parnell and up the rise - never out of 2nd gear. That last climb inch by inch up Parnell rise was the final straw!

But if you don't have hills in the commute then it would be a completely different story.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've decided to try Lola (1990 964 C2) as my DD for a week or two. If I needed to sell one of my p-cars I want to have a feel for living with the old girl on a daily basis vs my 07 Boxster S. Sure is different to the modern Boxster in heavy traffic with a heavy clutch and its lack of creature comforts. Makes me wonder what they were like compared with other cars back when new in 1990. I think at that time I drove a new silver Mazda 323 1.6l manual and thought it was just great.

There really is plenty of head turning I hear it coming character in the 964 in 2014 though.
Doug it was always going to be a hard one coming from one of the best modern day Porches available - in terms of daily drive-ability at least.

If I could only have one car it would be a hard call. Our lives change and newer Porsches fit into a modern life so well. I guess that is evolution and a function of consumer research. Its also a personal thing and depends on how you use your cars.

What about selling the Cayenne instead?.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mate. Sounds like a good plan. Let me know if you go with that plan with Kim so I can tell Jo.

John, is Donna coming? You may have to fit the passenger seat in Herman!

Anyone else wife coming? I'm pretty sure Mandy is. The Hilton is a draw card. Happy wife happy life....
Pretty sure the 4 girls are all confirmed - Kim just booked her leave today. Not sure if any others were keen? Think she was going to offer Donna a ride down in the Cayman since Jo will be driving one of yours and Mandy will be coming from Pirongia. If John needs Donna to drive Herman down though that could change. Be great to see the 3.6T on tour though.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Mate. Sounds like a good plan. Let me know if you go with that plan with Kim so I can tell Jo. John, is Donna coming? You may have to fit the passenger seat in Herman! Anyone else wife coming? I'm pretty sure Mandy is. The Hilton is a draw card. Happy wife happy life....
Donna's coming. That took no convincing at all. Driving a P car though might be a leap. I've taken that whole week off work. The first plan is to repaint the front of the house if the guttering people put up scaffolding at the right time. If not then I may just hit the road early. I think Donna was looking to do what Mandy was proposing I.e. Travel Friday.

This car thing is getting out of hand. We have multiple toys and not enough drivers. How is Black Beauty going to get to Taupo?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug - I sold the 964 for the Cayman because I couldn't see the C4 as a DD. On the other hand John is doing exactly that with his C4 so what do I know! Giving it a go is the right way to do it and especially in winter with conditions at their worst. The issue for me was the commuting time in heavy traffic with that clutch. One day I spent 45 minutes crawling from the bridge through to Parnell and up the rise - never out of 2nd gear. That last climb inch by inch up Parnell rise was the final straw! But if you don't have hills in the commute then it would be a completely different story.
Yeah it sure is one hell of a left leg exercise machine doing that. And at this time of the year the Boxsters heated seats are nice when going to the gym at 6:30am in shorts.

Doug it was always going to be a hard one coming from one of the best modern day Porches available - in terms of daily drive-ability at least. If I could only have one car it would be a hard call. Our lives change and newer Porsches fit into a modern life so well. I guess that is evolution and a function of consumer research. Its also a personal thing and depends on how you use your cars. What about selling the Cayenne instead?.
I've had he Cayenne S for about 9 years and it's devalued heaps in that time but the depreciation curve is now shallow and it's still much like new with only 137k on the clock, me having done the last 100k. It's very handy. Next weekend for example I'm towing a dual axle furniture trailer to Wellington and back to help my son and his girlfriend move. A piece of cake with this machine. Figured it's better to keep than to sell at this point.

I don't need to sell one yet but just doing a bit of practical testing in case I went down that route.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure the 4 girls are all confirmed - Kim just booked her leave today. Not sure if any others were keen? Think she was going to offer Donna a ride down in the Cayman since Jo will be driving one of yours and Mandy will be coming from Pirongia. If John needs Donna to drive Herman down though that could change. Be great to see the 3.6T on tour though.
Mine was a maybe, but have lost out in favor of horses. Foaling time. Hmmm, maybe the newest RSG member on the tour should be obligated to bring BB. Initiation.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't need to sell one yet but just doing a bit of practical testing in case I went down that route.
You know you're doing something right when you can combine a 911 and practicality!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug - I sold the 964 for the Cayman because I couldn't see the C4 as a DD. On the other hand John is doing exactly that with his C4 so what do I know! Giving it a go is the right way to do it and especially in winter with conditions at their worst. The issue for me was the commuting time in heavy traffic with that clutch. One day I spent 45 minutes crawling from the bridge through to Parnell and up the rise - never out of 2nd gear. That last climb inch by inch up Parnell rise was the final straw! But if you don't have hills in the commute then it would be a completely different story.
My commute is Tamaki drive to CBD, so relatively old car friendly. Herman has a slightly annoying gear change need to 3rd when running above 50km/hr. The Turbo 3.6 runs a higher 2nd - perfect for commuting until it becomes crawling traffic. If I'm lucky with the Turbos I can get one boost run each morning. If it's totally rubbish weather nothing beats the 996TT. If I'd never driven a Turbo 3.6 I'd happily commute with Herman, but not the stop/start stuff on the motorway.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Yes John , I talked with Klint about his car , but the timing was out for me .
Garry, you've got a GT2, right? Not hairy enough? The Turbo 3.6 market waxes and wanes with cars on the market. It's been quiet since Clint's one sold. I've lost track how many are left in NZ, because we may well have lost a few more to the foreigners. Whatever the case NZ likely has the most Turbo 3.6 per capita in the World.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?