Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah. Very true. I should have made that distinction. My bad there.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:46 PM
Bo Yang
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I posted your rendered lap screen shot on Facebook group. There is one thing important I forget to mention, the lack of sound of the optimal lap. I gained nearly 1 second(a 1:13.34 lap time short circuit) in the second day of using Catalyst, and optimal lap helps the most. It shows the best line for myself, however I can only got the rhythm or say acceleration point by looking for the exact lap where the optimal lap section come from, and watch the sector video again and again(listen to the rev sound). The result is great but the process is painful.
Once the overlaid lap output and optimal lap with sound functions are added, Catalyst will be perfect for me. I will ask no more.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:48 PM
Bo Yang
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes. The overarching goal of the Catalyst is NOT to have to bring a laptop to the track!

It is a direct export with simple information from the unit through a few touch prompts to the mSD card on the unit suitable for upload or sharing.

You can select one lap or several. It does take a little time to render on the tablet, but no more than it does on a reasonable budget laptop now.

I don’t know when it will be released, but it’s been in testing for awhile now and I know they are coming down the home stretch. My testing unit works well for single laps, my understanding is that the final hurdle is exporting the whole session reliably. It’s no longer a question of if, just when. I would imagine before the driving season gets into full swing in the Northeast!

This will be available via update for every Catalyst made so far. They’ve been very clear since the beginning that the hardware has good headroom for feature addition and improvement.
Hi, I posted your rendered lap screen shot on Facebook group. There is one thing important I forget to mention, the lack of sound of the optimal lap. I gained nearly 1 second(a 1:13.34 lap time short circuit) in the second day of using Catalyst, and optimal lap helps the most. It shows the best line for myself, however I can only got the rhythm or say acceleration point by looking for the exact lap where the optimal lap section come from, and watch the sector video again and again(listen to the rev sound). The result is great but the process is painful.
Once the overlaid lap output and optimal lap with sound functions are added, Catalyst will be perfect for me. I will ask no more.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo Yang
There are other systems that render the optimal lap (Traqmate since 2006, VBOX in beta) and yes, that is a killer app. Not sure why the sound can’t be included but it is a technical challenge.

The Catalyst is perfect for many people, even if they have other systems. The ease of use and the active, guided analysis defining prioritized opportunities for improvement is similar to the methodology I have used incredibly successfully for a decade and a half, charging $1500-$2000/day. So yes, it’s a really good tool and a great value.

Will it replace top line instructors and coaches? Probably not, but it is a very good tool for intermediate/advanced solo drivers looking for some tips, and instructors/entry level pros looking for what works.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Bo Yang (03-04-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default CAN bus

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
It's worth noting that you don't get braking data from OBD2.
CAN bus braking data is fun to look at, but when I ran my SOLO 2 DL wired into my car's CAN bus, in conjunction with the Catalyst, my interest in any post session AiM data, CAN bus or otherwise, evaporated, with Catalyst giving me all that I needed.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry I don't have time to read this big thread, but does this qualify as the required video for PCA racing?

I hate computers, this could be fun.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by analogmike
Sorry I don't have time to read this big thread, but does this qualify as the required video for PCA racing?

I hate computers, this could be fun.
I can’t answer that for PCA CR, but it records from the moment you leave pit lane to coming back in. Wide view out of the front of the car, raw video for the entire session on the microSD card for scruts to look at. So, I would think so.
analogmike (03-08-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You can do everything from the tablet, even review the video of every segment on every lap. Makes it easy to find the incident.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:03 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

PCA Likes to have the camera mounted behind the driver so they can see steering inputs from the driver in a incident.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:27 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgmark
PCA Likes to have the camera mounted behind the driver so they can see steering inputs from the driver in a incident.
Likes or requires? I see a lot of dash cams at PCA CR events.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered one from Peter. Looking forward to using it at Spring Mountain.
ProCoach (03-06-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 04:36 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default EU residents: willing to loan/rent your Catalyst?

Last edited by Phokaioglaukos; 03-18-2021 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Likes or requires? I see a lot of dash cams at PCA CR events.
sorry I'm way behind on this but can you mount the cam on the roll bar in the passenger area?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

sorry I'm way behind on this but can you mount the cam on the roll bar in the passenger area?
Not out of the box, but it’s been done: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post17034369
Old 03-08-2021, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Simple answer is no.

More detailed answer (and the one cited above) is that in an open sports racing car, one with no windshield, you can mount it forward of the main hoop in an enclosure or on the halo bar above the windshield if there is a full cage.

The camera functions as a validation tool to determine how much of the width of the road 35-50 feet in front of the car you’re using. It also helps the device discard the laps that you run into traffic because it’s capable of recognizing traffic in front of you on segments you’ve been quicker, so as not to skew the “fast average.”

Mike, is this for your vintage car? If so, there are two double sided sticky tape mounts for the camera in each kit.

Bottom line is that if the field of view in the setup screen cannot be set up without parts of the car totally inside of the visual guide in the setup phase, the device won’t work at all well. Any placement of the camera behind where the top of the vehicle windshield would ordinarily be will not allow proper operation.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
burnergt4 (03-08-2021), Martin S. (03-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching