Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 04:34 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Trying to prepare for my first track day with the Aim Solo2 DL, but can't find straight forward videos on simply how to operate the aim/smarty while at the track. I want to be sure the dl and the cam are going to work when I head out on the track. I've done the configs in Race Studio and transmitted them to the dl and cam.

Don't really want to spend my track day making sure Aim stuff works and how to see data and video afterwards...any tips are appreciated! Sorry to detract from the subject, but it's kind of on topic too if there is an ease of use factor
I'm sure Peter will reply shortly regarding the Aim package.

Yes, one advantage of the Catalyst, is that it's perfect for "idiots", like myself, who just want to arrive and drive, and record some video and some data while at the track. The Catalyst is plug and play, ready to go, with no hard-wiring necessary.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:46 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0

Yes, one advantage of the Catalyst, is that it's perfect for "idiots", like myself, who just want to arrive and drive, and record some video and some data while at the track. The Catalyst is plug and play, ready to go, with no hard-wiring necessary.
I am so understanding the value in that right now...
Old 04-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

I am so understanding the value in that right now...
Did the dealer you bought the package from configure it for you?
Old 04-03-2021, 06:01 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Did the dealer you bought the package from configure it for you?
No, I downloaded Race Studio, did the configurations in RS and then transmitted them to the DL and Cam.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,062 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Trying to prepare for my first track day with the Aim Solo2 DL, but can't find straight forward videos on simply how to operate the aim/smarty while at the track. I want to be sure the dl and the cam are going to work when I head out on the track. I've done the configs in Race Studio and transmitted them to the dl and cam.

Don't really want to spend my track day making sure Aim stuff works and how to see data and video afterwards...any tips are appreciated! Sorry to detract from the subject, but it's kind of on topic too if there is an ease of use factor
The learning curve is steep.

After the configuration is loaded, you’ll need to sort it and scale the information, as well as insure all is well. Also, you should spend time making the camera settings record automatically, loading the tracks to the camera as well.

Then, when you get your system up and running, you’ll need to get the video and data downloads from separate devices to fully leverage the power of the beta Analysis program, be sure to download that too.

Then, you’ll need to devise a workflow that allows you to glean and prioritize the lowest hanging fruit for
the next session, basically to find and focus on areas of exceptional performance, so you can do more of that.

When you do arrange and scale the information you want to look at, make sure you save it in a profile you can save so it appears the same way anytime you download information from your logger.

It’s not easy. I spent ninety minutes with a 718 GT4 CS owner today getting his configs, firmware updates and a basic analysis window profile built on his computer remotely. I sold him a Solo 2 DL and my premade PnP cables for the ClubSport and had to get his camera straight after he bought it mail order as a blank slate.

Once it’s done, it usually works. Although today I looked at quite a few AiM systems that lost expansions, lost lap timing and others that wouldn’t record video, even though all was well. Between me and the AiM support team, who do a great job, we’re still working on most of them.

A better place than this thread to talk about AiM is the AiM Users Group on FB. Matt usually pipes up but over 2800 members share good information and even the factory guys, as well as the importer/distributor support staff are all on it. Good stuff.

Even as a top three US dealer for a decade, I do see why quite a few AiM users have picked up a Catalyst.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The learning curve is steep.

After the configuration is loaded, you’ll need to sort it and scale the information, as well as insure all is well. Also, you should spend time making the camera settings record automatically, loading the tracks to the camera as well.

Then, when you get your system up and running, you’ll need to get the video and data downloads from separate devices to fully leverage the power of the beta Analysis program, be sure to download that too.

Then, you’ll need to devise a workflow that allows you to glean and prioritize the lowest hanging fruit for
the next session, basically to find and focus on areas of exceptional performance, so you can do more of that.

When you do arrange and scale the information you want to look at, make sure you save it in a profile you can save so it appears the same way anytime you download information from your logger.

It’s not easy. I spent ninety minutes with a 718 GT4 CS owner today getting his configs, firmware updates and a basic analysis window profile built on his computer remotely. I sold him a Solo 2 DL and my premade PnP cables for the ClubSport and had to get his camera straight after he bought it mail order as a blank slate.

Once it’s done, it usually works. Although today I looked at quite a few AiM systems that lost expansions, lost lap timing and others that wouldn’t record video, even though all was well. Between me and the AiM support team, who do a great job, we’re still working on most of them.

A better place than this thread to talk about AiM is the AiM Users Group on FB. Matt usually pipes up but over 2800 members share good information and even the factory guys, as well as the importer/distributor support staff are all on it. Good stuff.

Even as a top three US dealer for a decade, I do see why quite a few AiM users have picked up a Catalyst.
The FB group does have some good users and I just posted over there. Some people use it differently than others. Like everywhere, you get what you pay for The learning curve only has to be as steep and/or hard as someone wants to make it. Some people make things hard, some easy, and some have fun with it.
The following users liked this post:
CT_Peter (04-04-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No, I downloaded Race Studio, did the configurations in RS and then transmitted them to the DL and Cam.
Have you checked to see if the S2DL is getting data? If you have sent the config and have a display page with RPM, that will tell you if it's working. If all works, make sure the camera is set (in the menus) to record on logger command or 30 mph (my favorite). There are a few other settings in there like time to stop recording and time to off that I like to tweak. Once that is done, make sure the memory card is in the camera and hit the track.

You can then pull the SD card and have the video with the data on it. If you are just learning analysis, I would suggest using RS3 Analysis beta and starting with importing the video. I have shared a very simply profile with a huge portion of the AiM userbase that makes basic analysis fast and easy. You can do that off just the video and will have the video linked. I think I have shared that here, FB, and a few other forums. Not in the AiM FB group referenced above as my posts are often not approved

AiM has 120+ YT videos on how to configure devices, use the software, and do analysis. Guys like myself, James Colburn, and others have some great videos on all of it too.

Post back if you need more help.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The FB group does have some good users and I just posted over there.
Not in the AiM FB group referenced above as my posts are often not approved .
Make up your mind, Matt.

Of course, we can always count on you to take the thread off topic and turn it into a sales pitch for the single line you carry.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2021, 01:37 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0

the Cat is big to sit up there on the dash. The window mount is quite large too. Does the Cat have to sit centered on the dash because it is best place for the gps engine and because it can’t get a signal through a metal roof? It would be nice to install in dash on racecar but then it won’t have clear line of site out the window.

can you start the Cat with the system turn off set at a longer 10 mins so you can start it not move belt in on grid at the 5 min board then drive off?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
the Cat is big to sit up there on the dash. The window mount is quite large too. Does the Cat have to sit centered on the dash because it is best place for the gps engine and because it can’t get a signal through a metal roof? It would be nice to install in dash on racecar but then it won’t have clear line of site out the window.

can you start the Cat with the system turn off set at a longer 10 mins so you can start it not move belt in on grid at the 5 min board then drive off?

Ive seen people use a V-mount from RAM (I stock them) to hang it from the halo bar in a caged car, have seen people put it on downtubes, too. It comes with a flat AMPS plate to bolt it to metal.

You ccan lengthen the auto off so you can start it up, select the track and buckle in.

Most folks are having good luck with just the top of the unit above the top of the dash. As long as it’s under the vertical profile of the glass, it seems to be working well, about the same as the Solo.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:05 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Make up your mind, Matt.

Of course, we can always count on you to take the thread off topic and turn it into a sales pitch for the single line you carry.
Someone asked about help for their S2DL, that I didn't sell, and I offered help. Sorry for taking up your valuable reading time. You have my phone number when you want to stop being passive aggressive or attacking me online.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Wah.

Not worth the time.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:49 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Back to more important questions, so when is this update that'll allow the data/video feed download going to happen? Well it just render the best lap? Or the entire session? Or can we choose the lap we want to see? Besides the obvious uses of the Catalyst (lap timer, coaching, etc) the data/video dump so I can share it is the feature I want to have the most.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:44 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Back to more important questions, so when is this update that'll allow the data/video feed download going to happen? Well it just render the best lap? Or the entire session? Or can we choose the lap we want to see? Besides the obvious uses of the Catalyst (lap timer, coaching, etc) the data/video dump so I can share it is the feature I want to have the most.
Still waiting on this as well. Used the Cat for the first time last weekend. It's an amazing tool, and I definitely made some improvements using it, but I really want the download / overlay functionality. I think I saw a post somewhere on a Corvette forum where someone had figured it out. Will hunt for that.
The following users liked this post:
GtEE4 (07-25-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:52 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Still waiting on this as well. Used the Cat for the first time last weekend. It's an amazing tool, and I definitely made some improvements using it, but I really want the download / overlay functionality. I think I saw a post somewhere on a Corvette forum where someone had figured it out. Will hunt for that.
I managed to upload a video with limited data. I used the Garmin VIRB video editing software, which I downloaded and installed on my PC for free. The VIRB software isn't perfect, and I could only choose from templates, which either allowed the dispaly to show 1. speed, lap time, and acceleration, or 2. speed, track position. I would like to be able to add more "data" on the video, but I uploaded it to YouTube without difficulty.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching