Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:01 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by smq42
Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the past 55 pages. . . Have people got the Catalyst to work with the Apple AirPods Pro? Any special tricks for pairing?
I tested it out with my AirPods when I first got it and I don't recall any issues with pairing. It's just a normal Bluetooth audio device like any other phone or tablet.
The following 2 users liked this post by burnergt4:
ProCoach (03-30-2021), smq42 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:01 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the past 55 pages. . . Have people got the Catalyst to work with the Apple AirPods Pro? Any special tricks for pairing?

Yes they pair without issue, but unfortunately they are very hard to keep in the ear unless you tape them on.

The following users liked this post:
smq42 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:09 PM
afrancke
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
The "AI" is really just reviewing your past data on that one session, and telling you that the time that you did "x" in a segment worked out better for your time in that segment than when you did "y" or "z", so that's not really AI, just simple comparison of segment times, speeds, and turn-in's.
Agreed. And there's significant value to something that can quickly point out the fastest example of each turn you took, so that you can repeat and try to get more consistent. I think the UX is good for this purpose and can be improved further still, all without hardware changes. I wish Vbox Video came with this UX, TBH, and general ease of review. Either that, or I wish the Catalyst could hook up to the Vbox to render its data. I mean, just having the ability to do instant review without taking the card out of the device and move it to a tablet or laptop is such a killer feature.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:33 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the "Advanced Mode", where it warns you that you could be directed to crash your car (essentially), moves up the AI's data from (hey, this is the fastest you've been thru this corner), to analysis around hey, you have pulled 1.3G's turning right before, you only pulled 1.1G's in this corner and it's an on camber corner so I think you should be able to pull 1.4G's. Theoretically.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:37 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by loneregister
I think the "Advanced Mode", where it warns you that you could be directed to crash your car (essentially), moves up the AI's data from (hey, this is the fastest you've been thru this corner), to analysis around hey, you have pulled 1.3G's turning right before, you only pulled 1.1G's in this corner and it's an on camber corner so I think you should be able to pull 1.4G's. Theoretically.
I put it in advanced mode on day 1, and never got any such complex recommendations, but only some inanities like "keep pushing" (like I'm some expectant mother about to give birth). . .
The following 2 users liked this post by WP0:
HelpMeHelpU (03-31-2021), ProCoach (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

You must place the AirPods in the carrying case and press the button to pair with the Catalyst. Works great.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

smq42 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:42 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I put it in advanced mode on day 1, and never got any such complex recommendations, but only some inanities like "keep pushing" (like I'm some expectant mother about to give birth). . .
I did the same as well, putting it in advanced mode immediately. I can confidently say that it shaved off significant times for me in my cup miata. (And I am not considered slow in my Miata group. I am not #1, but not slow either. LOL)

Airpods pro linked up via bluetooth with zero problems for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by loneregister:
HelpMeHelpU (03-31-2021), ProCoach (03-30-2021), smq42 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by afrancke
Agreed. And there's significant value to something that can quickly point out the fastest example of each turn you took, so that you can repeat and try to get more consistent. I think the UX is good for this purpose and can be improved further still, all without hardware changes. I wish Vbox Video came with this UX, TBH, and general ease of review. Either that, or I wish the Catalyst could hook up to the Vbox to render its data. I mean, just having the ability to do instant review without taking the card out of the device and move it to a tablet or laptop is such a killer feature.
As the largest end user dealer of VBOX Motorsport in the US, and one of the largest in quantity sold of the Garmin Catalyst, on top of using both these tools an average of a couple days a week since they’ve both come out, your FIRST sentence hits the nail on the head.

If drivers could find and focus on the areas of their exceptional performance, they’d be able to replicate it more easily, period.

While the VBOX, AIM, MoTeC, Cosworth, Race Navigator and every other legacy device just replays what a driver DID, the AI component in the Catalyst makes decisions on prioritizing opportunities for improvement, constantly recalculated the fast average based on CLEAN laps and defines areas of exceptional performance based on increasing use of demonstrated grip, like the Apex Pro.

The latter two are the only systems that reset the ideal, based on past performance, but NOT based solely on segment time.

Horses for courses. There is NO one system that does everything you’d like it to do, especially in terms of UX. I can find things out from VBOX in depth and breadth not possible in the Catalyst, but the measures I use to coach people using this technology are the same tested and proven ways I’ve done for the last sixteen years as a full-time professional coach.

By looking at the end result of every driver control input and the proportion of demonstrated tire grip used at any given point. If I need foundation, context or granular detail, that’s what the VBOX and other systems are for.

When I am coaching, I put a VBOX in the car, no matter what system they have. Our time is simply too valuable to screw around with other, less capable, systems for FINDING TIME and opportunities.

For drivers who don’t do this every weekend, let alone every week and coaching themselves, there are few tools more effective in a shorter time, or a better value, than the Catalyst.

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-30-2021 at 02:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
9114609048 (03-30-2021), HelpMeHelpU (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 121 Posts
Default VBOX ?

Originally Posted by ProCoach
As the largest end user dealer of VBOX Motorsport in the US,....
Peter, since I need video in the RSR, I may as well add capable data logging also. The VBOX looks good. A step up from the analog stopwatch I used before. Please get in touch via PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9114609048
Peter, since I need video in the RSR, I may as well add capable data logging also. The VBOX looks good. A step up from the analog stopwatch I used before. Please get in touch via PM.
Haha, will do, George. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:38 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

I just went with the traditional Aim Solo2 DL with smartycam...I'm an early adopter, but decided to stick go with this set up. I hope I don't regret it.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I just went with the traditional Aim Solo2 DL with smartycam...I'm an early adopter, but decided to stick go with this set up. I hope I don't regret it.
Popular choice. I’ve sold and supplied hundreds of those combinations. Shipped two of them today.

Depends on your expectations... and your willingness to learn how to navigate and harvest actionable information from it. Powerful tools that require a time and learning commitment to really make use of.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:15 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
You made a great choice. If you don't like it, the resale is very high on AiM products. The SCHD will give you video with the data on it for quick, easy, review if you want it. Then you get data from the S2DL. If you are just starting, I would recommend working with RS3 Analysis a bunch and using the integrated video and data. For lots of people, just getting the data from the SCHD video in RS3 Analysis is more than enough for large improvements. It's minimal effort to make big gains with data.

And don't forget to use the predictive display in the car! Seeing the predictive or +/- Best (my favorite) gives you real answers in the car as you are driving.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Getting back to the original topic, the Catalyst clearly addresses a need, one beyond legacy devices that merely log data and separate video for review.

Surprisingly, more than a third of the people who’ve purchased a Catalyst from me have another data system, overwhelmingly AiM. More than a few have multiples, Cosworth, MoTeC and/or VBOX.

The principal motive stated is that with all that is going on AT the track, swapping tires, getting gas, rushing to meet students or instructors, socializing with friends, drivers are looking for a TIME saver, not a time sink.

Simple, actionable and limited goals for the next session, in-car feedback validating and reinforcing the best execution of fundamental skills.

I’ve built a very successful business around the evolving technology in order to do just that over the last fifteen years. It’s a wonderful time with many, many good offerings to do this. Fun!
Andrew D. (03-31-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 04:23 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Popular choice. I’ve sold and supplied hundreds of those combinations. Shipped two of them today.

Depends on your expectations... and your willingness to learn how to navigate and harvest actionable information from it. Powerful tools that require a time and learning commitment to really make use of.
Trying to prepare for my first track day with the Aim Solo2 DL, but can't find straight forward videos on simply how to operate the aim/smarty while at the track. I want to be sure the dl and the cam are going to work when I head out on the track. I've done the configs in Race Studio and transmitted them to the dl and cam.

Don't really want to spend my track day making sure Aim stuff works and how to see data and video afterwards...any tips are appreciated! Sorry to detract from the subject, but it's kind of on topic too if there is an ease of use factor

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching