Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:57 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

A little crappier than normal due to being in my open sports racer strapped to the roll bar.

possible for you to post a short video so we can see quality - either here on link to youtube? thanks in advance....
Old 01-24-2021, 11:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Like I’ve always maintained, this is a feature set not required or necessary for this device to deliver its mission. It also indicates that Garmin is responsive to their user community, even though it’s been in the works since shortly after release last September.

While it’s a nice add, and it tips the balance for some towards going with this solution, especially since it can now even more easily export specific lap footage for incident review in PCA and NASA Club Racing, it’s really about sharing and posting, IMO.

The nice thing is that all current hardware is capable. My early pre-release unit works fine.

My next shipment is due in Tuesday.

Please DM or email me if I can help by providing a Catalyst, along with a wide variety of accessories like camera suction cup mounts, carrying cases, locking mounts, power cables, spare cameras and more.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
BF951 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by whojoemama
possible for you to post a short video so we can see quality - either here on link to youtube? thanks in advance....
Not yet. When this beta is released as an update I will.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:47 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,511 Likes on 814 Posts

Not yet. When this beta is released as an update I will.
When do you expect the update to be out?
Old 01-26-2021, 04:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
When do you expect the update to be out?
Not sure. It's an incremental update from 3.10, so it should be soon. Next four to six weeks, or less?
Old 01-26-2021, 04:26 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure. It's an incremental update from 3.10, so it should be soon. Next four to six weeks, or less?
I'm glad Garmin is being responsive to constructive criticism. Here are a couple of more points for improvement:
1. allow more than 3 "opportunities" per comparison, as the "opportunities" seem that they could be much more helpful than simply comparing (rather inaccurate) thin lines on a tablet
2. allow comparison between sessions (yes, I've heard your excuse that "each session is unique," to which I reply "each lap is unique": tire temperature changes, as does a driver's ability to focus, which doesn't stop lap comparison within sessions; besides, IMSA compares laps between pit stops, which would be equivalent to separate sessions, so there's no real validity to that excuse.)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I'm glad Garmin is being responsive to constructive criticism. Here are a couple of more points for improvement:
1. allow more than 3 "opportunities" per comparison, as the "opportunities" seem that they could be much more helpful than simply comparing (rather inaccurate) thin lines on a tablet
2. allow comparison between sessions (yes, I've heard your excuse that "each session is unique," to which I reply "each lap is unique": tire temperature changes, as does a driver's ability to focus, which doesn't stop lap comparison within sessions; besides, IMSA compares laps between pit stops, which would be equivalent to separate sessions, so there's no real validity to that excuse.)
dont you think that information is available on each segment, the opportunities are merely (I believe) the 3 top segments with the most opportunity for improvement...
Old 01-26-2021, 04:37 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont you think that information is available on each segment, the opportunities are merely (I believe) the 3 top segments with the most opportunity for improvement...
No, there's more precise detail available in opportunities: for instance, the exact difference between the distances that braking started, turn in occurred, or acceleration stopped, etc. You can't really tell these details by looking at thin lines on a tablet.

In the segment comparison, you can tell a gross difference, but nothing small.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WP0
No, there's more precise detail available in opportunities: for instance, the exact difference between the distances that braking started, turn in occurred, or acceleration stopped, etc. You can't really tell these details by looking at thin lines on a tablet.

In the segment comparison, you can tell a gross difference, but nothing small.
good observation - thx ... I am still trying to extract something actionable from my Catalyst
Old 01-26-2021, 05:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks to WP0. I will elaborate on his post.

No, there's MUCH more precise detail available in opportunities. Also, opportunities are prioritized and change as the low hanging fruit changes, from session to session, day to day.

It's a proven fact that any more than three, and all is forgotten in the car.

Under the tabs of the opportunities are three more in-depth comparisons, with strip charts for braking and acceleration, speed versus distance and corner geometry, like conventional analysis software.

For example, the exact difference between the distances that braking started, where and how fast you were when turn-in occurred and how soon acceleration started.

The difference between apex areas in relation to the entire radius, and which is faster.

Relative speed at corner entry from the fast average to your optimal.

I wish people would dig in a little more. There is a LOT of info there already.

But I will certainly relay comments and concerns. Also, send to garminpitcrew <at> garmin <dot> com
The following users liked this post:
DHI (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Yes, that information IS available for EACH of the three opportunities. And yes, that is exactly the point of the three opportunities, which DO change nearly every session, in my experience.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

How does the until get updated with the latest software? Automatically if you get on a WiFi network?
Old 01-30-2021, 09:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wmond
How does the until get updated with the latest software? Automatically if you get on a WiFi network?
wifi update or via Garmin Express App on PC via USB ... I *think* you may also be able to do it via BT from a smartphone with the appropriate Garmin App installed.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wmond
Correct. Best way is when there is WiFi access, the top right side will have a red marker next to the icon, indicating an update is available. Click and go. Let it sit. Done.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:21 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

After 3 weekends of using the Garmin catalyst, I can say that there is one easily usable, positive component to the device: it will evaluate all of the segments in all of the laps in one session, and piece together the best lap time for you, given the different lines that you took in that segment.

I hesitate to use the term AI for the Garmin catalyst, as it only does simple analysis of the segments that you drove, and determines what you did to get through that segment the fastest. If the device really used AI, it would tell you what line to take that you didn't take, which is faster than all the lines, turn-ins, and apices that you did try.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching