Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 04:05 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I hesitate to use the term AI for the Garmin catalyst,
It’s still AI, even if it’s not as intelligent as you might like.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,918 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I hesitate to use the term AI for the Garmin catalyst, as it only does simple analysis of the segments that you drove, and determines what you did to get through that segment the fastest.

If the device really used AI, it would tell you what line to take that you didn't take, which is faster than all the lines, turn-ins, and apices that you did try.
Hahaha!

You want it all, for nothing...

It does far more than a simple analysis of the segments you drove... It is calculating CONSTANTLY and re-prioritizing the lowest hanging fruit. It is constantly evaluating you and providing feedback of exemplary performance (or not).

It is using the video to determine if you've been blocked on a fast lap, and discards the lap from the high average, IF the sector time is adversely affected.

It also remembers that you were off the apex at a particular corner and prompts you in time enough to do something about it, to FIX it the next time around THAT specific apex.

It determines what you normally do (high average) and compares to your best execution. So, it TELLS you early or late turn-in is more effective, early or late apex area is more effective, whether you're braking is consistent or can be better, etc.

AI means that it has the capacity to grow, learn and extend the theoretical ideal, even if the driver only is able to attain that ideal for a moment, which is usually the case.

The driver is an imperfect data acquisition system. The driver cannot often tell what is good and for sure, what is best, with much, if any, accuracy.

IF the driver KNEW what was better, they'd do it. That is why the Catalyst is such a useful tool. Stick it in a Petit LeMans class winner's car, he listens with an open mind and, using the vocal feedback, gains .4 over what he does without the feedback.

Both the Apex Pro and the Catalyst are capable of learning. Constantly building and refining a model of the best that driver HAS DONE, therefore CAN DO.

Also, the way Catalyst builds the Optimal Lap is NOT LIKE the way that the AiM/VBOX/Bosch/Cosworth/Traqmate/Race-Keeper/Race Technology and even Apex Pro do.

It tosses sectors that are simply impossible, then disables the exceptional sectors around them so that the resultant Optimal (or constructed and vetted Theoretical or Eclectic) Lap is more valid than simple addition of fastest sectors, which can't be sustained in the next one. Pretty slick.

Is it for everyone? No. Does it do everything? No. Does it "know" what the car is ultimately capable of doing? No. No device does. All the engineers/data acquisition guys can do is to tell you what they THINK the car can do, anyway.

Bottom line, IF a driver can function closer to the isolated moments of flowing brilliance most are capable of, they can go faster without more effort. As they get faster, they'll generate new benchmarks for the AI to incorporate into the feedback and review.

I've made an exceptional living for almost thirty-five years doing a more detailed, involved assessment/evaluation, as well as provide and guide a way forward for club-level and entry level pro drivers.

Many of the methodologies and measures that this device uses are ones that I and others (I think of Ross Bentley) have incorporated in very successful careers as private coaches.

This is not rocket science, but it is remarkable how well this device dovetails into a proper driver improvement program.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Martin S. (03-13-2021), Mikelly (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
It’s still AI, even if it’s not as intelligent as you might like.
Hahaha!

Same as my post, except mine TL/DR!

Cheers!

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-31-2021 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wild Weasel (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 793 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I hesitate to use the term AI for the Garmin catalyst, as it only does simple analysis of the segments that you drove, and determines what you did to get through that segment the fastest. If the device really used AI, it would tell you what line to take that you didn't take, which is faster than all the lines, turn-ins, and apices that you did try.
You are not alone in your opinion The definition of AI is pretty broad, so the Catalyst technically fits it, but does not fit the description or thoughts most people have of AI. It has a series of algorithms. Just like it technically has a neural network, it doesn't really fit what most people would consider a true one.

The good part is that it does help a lot of people, just like the Apex Pro, MoTeC, AiM, and the others.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Just like it technically has a neural network, it doesn't really fit what most people would consider a true one.

The good part is that it does help a lot of people, just like the Apex Pro, MoTeC, AiM and the others.
It uses a neural net to build a "picture" of where the car is in relation to the edges of the track, across the width of the track.

Driver coaches and engineers, as well as drivers self-coaching, sometimes use algorithms to help process simple or significant amounts of information. Just as this device does.

Yep, it does help people, as does most all the tech. What's nice is that this device doesn't allow the navigation of the hardware or software to get in the way of getting good information.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It uses a neural net to build a "picture" of where the car is in relation to the edges of the track, across the width of the track.

Driver coaches and engineers, as well as drivers self-coaching, sometimes use algorithms to help process simple or significant amounts of information. Just as this device does.

Yep, it does help people, as does most all the tech. What's nice is that this device doesn't allow the navigation of the hardware or software to get in the way of getting good information.
There are marketing definitions and actual definitions and use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

Everyone finds what they like. Some tow with a Chevy, some with a Ford, some with a Porsche. I think we can all agree Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, Hawk brake pads suck, and Porsches rule.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep. "Algorithms are always unambiguous and are used as specifications for performing calculations, data processing, automated reasoning, and other tasks."
Old 01-31-2021, 10:27 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
There are marketing definitions and actual definitions and use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

Everyone finds what they like. Some tow with a Chevy, some with a Ford, some with a Porsche. I think we can all agree Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, Hawk brake pads suck, and Porsches rule.
Off topic, but related to your comment: how does Amsoil compare to Motul 8100 X-cess? (Both are Porsche A40 approved.) Thanks.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by WP0
Off topic, but related to your comment: how does Amsoil compare to Motul 8100 X-cess? (Both are Porsche A40 approved.) Thanks.
I don't have any experience with the Motul.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 2,282 Posts

so what did 3.20 add?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
so what did 3.20 add?
I’m using a dev capable demo, so I’m slightly ahead (or behind the release, if I haven’t updated). Will try and find out tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I’m using a dev capable demo, so I’m slightly ahead (or behind the release, if I haven’t updated). Will try and find out tomorrow.
I could not find the "what's new" screens in the latest update!

I wish Garmin would find a better way to publish the presence and content of new updates ... a simple email subscription would be fine....
Old 02-10-2021, 09:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I could not find the "what's new" screens in the latest update!

I wish Garmin would find a better way to publish the presence and content of new updates ... a simple email subscription would be fine....
They've found a very effective way. Push updates when the device has WiFi access. Not many devices do that without doing it through companion software. Kind of nice.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

They've found a very effective way. Push updates when the device has WiFi access. Not many devices do that without doing it through companion software. Kind of nice.
no, I was referring to communicating *what* was contained in the system updates and &*NOT* the mechanism of the download ... how the **** am I supposed to know what great new features (or bug fixes) are in the update, use the force?
Old 02-12-2021, 04:30 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but can you remove the camera from the mount? I've only tried to do so at home - quite forcefully may I add - but it's attached pretty securely. I didn't want to overdo it in case I break something.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching