Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That sucks! I have a new Stilo helmet and all the cords to plug the Catalyst into it. That was the way I was planning on running it...
Doc,

I have a standard 3.5mm headphone/mic system in my helmet and use a bluetooth receiver connected to a signal amplifier so that I can hear it better (my 996 Turbo wasn't a problem but my 6Cup is MUCH louder).

These were the items:
BT Receiver
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Signal Amplifier
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895SGCGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895SGCGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mike Roblin; 03-18-2021 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew D. (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 11:55 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That sucks! I have a new Stilo helmet and all the cords to plug the Catalyst into it. That was the way I was planning on running it...
doc
we’ve sold a bunch of these and haven’t had any issues yet. In fact we did some testing/coaching this past weekend with a customer and he loved it. Stilo helmet and the RaceCom hard wire cable we sell for it.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following users liked this post:
docwyte (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:54 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there a way to power the device up at home to download the latest updates, before I install it in the car? Does it come with a home outlet adapter? Otherwise, I have to....install it in my car in the garage and let it update from there?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Is there a way to power the device up at home to download the latest updates, before I install it in the car? Does it come with a home outlet adapter? Otherwise, I have to....install it in my car in the garage and let it update from there?
yes.. you could do this
Old 03-25-2021, 01:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I use a standard microUSB cable to the Catalyst tablet.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2021, 01:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just got the last big batch of inventory of these for those who might wish to take advantage of the $100 manufacturer rebate, purchase must be completed by the end of March. Free shipping.

Please reach out if I can help.

Have plenty of the most popular accessories proven to work with the Roux and Stilo, too.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:53 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

It has a battery and you can just pop it off the magnetic mount and carry it inside to do updates. You can also power it from any USB port.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
It has a battery and you can just pop it off the magnetic mount and carry it inside to do updates. You can also power it from any USB port.
Not true.

Actually, they require that the unit be connected to power for any of the updates.

Some can be lengthy, and power loss during the update (which is done by writing new firmware) can brick the unit.

They’ve prevented this possibility by requiring the unit be connected to power for the duration of the update and reboot.

As a side note, I appreciate the RENNlist community‘s response!

I currently have about half the stock posted yesterday left to take advantage of the March manufacturers rebate.

Please reach out if I can help supply a Garmin Catalyst kit, support and accessories for this great, simple and very effective tool.

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-26-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:09 AM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not true.

Actually, they require that the unit be connected to power for any of the updates.

Some can be lengthy, and power loss during the update (which is done by writing new firmware) can brick the unit.

They’ve prevented this possibility by requiring the unit be connected to power for the duration of the update and reboot.

As a side note, I appreciate the RENNlist community‘s response!

I currently have about half the stock posted yesterday left to take advantage of the March manufacturers rebate.

Please reach out if I can help supply a Garmin Catalyst kit, support and accessories for this great, simple and very effective tool.
PM sent
Old 03-29-2021, 03:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
PM sent
PM replied. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:20 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Garmin cat and apex pro are both AI units. Garmin is very attractive because it provides actionable feedback without having to speak squiggly lines. The apex pro is even more simple with driver just trying to light up as many green lights as possible. How Is garmin better than apex pro from an actionable “idiot’s guide to improvement through data?”
Old 03-30-2021, 05:19 AM
afrancke
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
How Is garmin better than apex pro from an actionable “idiot’s guide to improvement through data?”
There is a significant difference between Apex Pro and Catalyst as coaches while driving.

Apex Pro tells you if you are using all available grip instantaneously. If you then remember what it told you, you can squirrel that away for the subsequent lap.

Catalyst tells you how to handle upcoming corners based on how you did last time, corner-by-corner ("next right, carry more speed" or "apex earlier" or "apex later").

Both are limited by not knowing how fast you could go; only how fast you've already gone (so it's up to you to decide how much to push and go faster).

In my limited Catalyst experience, the post-session review, while groundbreaking in simplicity and ease of use, is ruined by not tagging turn-in and apex points reliably (often placing them far away from where they actually occurred). Not sure if this was my setup, or what, but a trivial example is Catalyst mistaking a lift at turn 1 at Laguna for the braking point and turn in for turn 2.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
How Is garmin better than apex pro from an actionable “idiot’s guide to improvement through data?”
One is not “better” than the other per se, it just depends on how you learn and process feedback. When a customer asks us what I think is a better learning tool, I ask them about how they learn and what makes sense to them.

Apex Pro provides great instant feedback that you can act on the next lap: saw too many read lights in T1? Try something different. You can test your theories immediately. Then you can go back afterward and “replay” your laps and see what you did, when and how. But most of the “coaching” is in you to try nee things and get more green.

If you’re connected to or can hear the Garmin voice while driving, it provides similar instant feedback that is actionable the next lap like the Apex Pro, but it’s actually telling you WHAT to do, where and when. Some may see that as a little more intrusive, some more helpful. Then the after session review IMO is amazing and extremely powerful, breaking down just a few specific areas of improvement to work on next session.

And if you really like a fully powerful system and enjoy diving into data, then AiM is the tool for you. Even a simple Solo 2 can provide an enormous amount of coaching and driver improvement data if you know how to use and read it. I’ve had many customers say they think the Apex Pro and Garmin are too “simplistic” and want something more powerful, or something they can grow with and expand to video, car data and more.

This is why we carry different options and differnet platforms. It’s all in how you learn and what makes the most sense to you.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:43 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by afrancke

Both are limited by not knowing how fast you could go; only how fast you've already gone (so it's up to you to decide how much to push and go faster).

In my limited Catalyst experience, the post-session review, while groundbreaking in simplicity and ease of use, is ruined by not tagging turn-in and apex points reliably (often placing them far away from where they actually occurred). Not sure if this was my setup, or what, but a trivial example is Catalyst mistaking a lift at turn 1 at Laguna for the braking point and turn in for turn 2.
Would have to agree about some of the deficiencies of the Catalyst, but overall it's a "good' device. It's best as a laptimer/video recorder. The "AI" is really just reviewing your past data on that one session, and telling you that the time that you did "x" in a segment worked out better for your time in that segment than when you did "y" or "z", so that's not really AI, just simple comparison of segment times, speeds, and turn-in's. Yes, quite a few times, it'll mark an apex well away from where the apex really was, so its accelerometer which marks the "apex" and "turn-in" isn't accurate 50% of the time, but that's easy to ignore.

Overall, it's a "good" machine, not great, but easy to use.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:53 PM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the past 55 pages. . . Have people got the Catalyst to work with the Apple AirPods Pro? Any special tricks for pairing?

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching