Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 11:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,855 Posts

To build the neural network of traffic and gauge lateral position of the car for voice coaching and review.

I’m just fortunate to work with all of these different technologies every day. It’s fun!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-15-2021, 11:24 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 63 Posts

Add it to the feature request list, though you could do it manually right now....GoPro for recording the hands/driver inputs and then merge with the exported Catalyst video as picture in picture.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Add it to the feature request list, though you could do it manually right now....GoPro for recording the hands/driver inputs and then merge with the exported Catalyst video as picture in picture.
Yep. RaceRender is your friend.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:03 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Yep, this is what I do currently. +1
Old 04-16-2021, 11:28 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Bought a Catalyst and sending Aim Solo2DL back for refund.
Walked out of TMI at VIR with my Catalyst, installed and set it up in about 20 minutes and started using it.
This is after wasting three track days fighting with the Aim only to find out from the guy at TMI that the data I was looking for (RPM, throttle and brake) isn't transmitted via OBD on a GT3. Nobody at Aim or HMS knew this. The whole time I thought I was configuring it wrong and then Aim said it was a defective unit. Complete waste of time and frustration.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:49 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Walked out of TMI at VIR with my Catalyst, installed and set it up in about 20 minutes and started using it.
This is after wasting three track days fighting with the Aim only to find out from the guy at TMI that the data I was looking for (RPM, throttle and brake) isn't transmitted via OBD on a GT3. Nobody at Aim or HMS knew this. The whole time I thought I was configuring it wrong and then Aim said it was a defective unit. Complete waste of time and frustration.
Sorry to hear that you had problems during your track weekend. It sucks when you go there to have fun, and just get frustrated with a tertiary system that's supposed to help you. I hope you enjoyed the time, even if the AIM system didn't work for you. At least you have a Catalyst for next time. . . it's easy to use, but the data may or may not be as helpful (we'll see what the feedback is with the new updates.)
The following users liked this post:
M3 Defector (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:50 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

I downloaded the update yesterday, will install the camera and set it all up in my car tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
M3 Defector, it’s quite likely that that could have been attended to, but we won’t ever know.

As the distributor to TMI for their AiM (VBOX, Race-Keeper and Apex Pro, as well as their original Garmin Catalyst supplier) it can be very frustrating. No question.

Part of our B to B relationship is to provide the support to make these work.

Glad you are getting good value out of the Catalyst. A lot more people going this direction than the other.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:21 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Mounting the Catalyst for a 1st time use. Going to be 34deg for 1st session tomorrow. Damn this PA weather!
Old 04-17-2021, 03:29 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

PSA:

People earlier in this thread mentioned the lack of a tether as a flaw. If you open the back cover where the internal card lives you can better see 2 female threaded anchor points as each end behind the cover. I have not looked for screw that fit this yet but we could braze eyes to the top a screw head and make screw in eyes to use as anchor points for a tether. These points are not robust but should prevent the garmin from flying out the window.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think there are better ways to do this, specifically the Garmin/RAM clip in mount, which has tether eyes on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
burnergt4 (04-17-2021), dsddcd (04-25-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I did not know that existed. It would be less work too.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I did not know that existed. It would be less work too.
Here it is. On the back of it is a RAM 1" B-ball flat flange mount. There are two ears, one for tying off the leads to the mag base, one for a tether. On the left is the optional end cap which can BOLT ON and lock the tablet in place as an anti-theft device, but I don't use those because then you can't pull it out and take it into the trailer at all easily. Kinda defeats the purpose of the mag mount base. Garmin wants $100 for it with the newer low-profile mag mount base, B-ball flange mount, an arm and a AMPS or round flat metal base to bolt to the car. I sell it for $90 without the arm or the base, because a majority of people are swapping out their original mag mount base with the ball for this assembly. It's cool and it's the best solution if you're worried about the security of the device on the factory supplied mag base.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Shanh81
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Here it is. On the back of it is a RAM 1" B-ball flat flange mount. There are two ears, one for tying off the leads to the mag base, one for a tether. On the left is the optional end cap which can BOLT ON and lock the tablet in place as an anti-theft device, but I don't use those because then you can't pull it out and take it into the trailer at all easily. Kinda defeats the purpose of the mag mount base. Garmin wants $100 for it with the newer low-profile mag mount base, B-ball flange mount, an arm and a AMPS or round flat metal base to bolt to the car. I sell it for $90 without the arm or the base, because a majority of people are swapping out their original mag mount base with the ball for this assembly. It's cool and it's the best solution if you're worried about the security of the device on the factory supplied mag base.

will garman be having any rebate special anytime soon? Want to order one
Old 04-17-2021, 07:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shanh81
will garman be having any rebate special anytime soon? Want to order one
Maybe next year. I’ve never been an authorized dealer for a company as large and “consumer-grade” as Garmin International, so when they said they were going to offer a $100 manufacturers rebate, that was a new thing. Nice because it preserved the dealers slim margin, also because they handled it after the dealer supplied info to their customers on how to apply.

The rebate period was for units purchased from an authorized dealer between 3/1 and 3/31/2021, with applications being accepted until 5/1/21.

Still a heck of a deal for what it is, rebate or not.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching