Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BF951
Are there any anticipated changes for the next release or an update based on the good feedback out there? I've decided I'm buying one but don't know whether to scratch the itch now or just wait until April when I can actually use it (NE US) and possibly pick up an updated version. Are these units designed that Firmware/SW updates can be applied?
Updates via wireless download every couple of weeks. Constantly improving. You can feel safe buying now without missing out on future features.
The following users liked this post:
BF951 (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 12:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Updates via wireless download every couple of weeks. Constantly improving. You can feel safe buying now without missing out on future features.
Agree with this. The hardware is current enough and the resources developing what is pushed to the device promise more functionality, ease of use and better information, resulting in even greater value.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Apex Ace (11-26-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 08:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

The recommendation from Eric and Peter is to use the Garmin fleet mount 010-12543-00 with the RAM mount. Would the ball on this fit the camera to make it removable or would one have to buy the 010-12530-05 suction mount for that purpose? Is there enough angle adjustment?

TIA
Old 12-08-2020, 08:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ExMB
The recommendation from Eric and Peter is to use the Garmin fleet mount 010-12543-00 with the RAM mount. Would the ball on this fit the camera to make it removable or would one have to buy the 010-12530-05 suction mount for that purpose? Is there enough angle adjustment?

TIA
This is for two separate components of the Catalyst system.

The first two, plus a b-ball flange mount, are what is needed for a more secure mounting of the tablet using the existing large suction cup and arm/arm extensions.

The 010-12530-05 is substituted for the stick-on mounts, two of which are included in the Catalyst kit, for the separate camera. This allows quick mounting/dismounting of the camera along with the included large suction cup mount for the tablet, whether you use the first two options or the standard mag base mount in the kit.

I’ve sold maybe a dozen of the kit that includes the first two components, but I’ve sold or supplied more than a hundred of the camera suction cup mounts.

Yes, the angle is sufficient.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:27 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is for two separate components of the Catalyst system.

The first two, plus a b-ball flange mount, are what is needed for a more secure mounting of the tablet using the existing large suction cup and arm/arm extensions.

The 010-12530-05 is substituted for the stick-on mounts, two of which are included in the Catalyst kit, for the separate camera. This allows quick mounting/dismounting of the camera along with the included large suction cup mount for the tablet, whether you use the first two options or the standard mag base mount in the kit.

I’ve sold maybe a dozen of the kit that includes the first two components, but I’ve sold or supplied more than a hundred of the camera suction cup mounts.

Yes, the angle is sufficient.
With using the RAM mount one removes the suction mount from the fleet. Is the ball on the removed fleet suction mount the same size as the mini suction mount and does it have enough angle to use with the camera. Because if it is there is no reason to buy the mini.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The ball is much bigger on the fleet suction cup than on the camera suction cup.

The low profile mag base is required to fit in the RAM capture mount for the tablet.

Install a b-ball mount on the RAM capture mount before you install the low profile mag base.

You remove the fleet suction cup and throw it away, install the fleet mag base in the RAM capture mount.

The 010-12530-05 is needed regardless for any Catalyst where someone wants to move the camera. MUCH smaller ball mount. Remove the stick on one and insert this one in the camera. HTH.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:41 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Anyone know how the Garmin can show your best lap in the history vs your current lap? Instead it just restarts fresh with each run?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hsb1001
Anyone know how the Garmin can show your best lap in the history vs your current lap? Instead it just restarts fresh with each run?
Each session, real-time, is a session of it's own. Not currently possible to retain BOAT (best of all time). Even AiM doesn't do that. VBOX and MoTeC can, but I digress.

It's generally considered that there are enough changing variables that it's not valid or possible (in proper analysis) to duplicate the conditions required for a reference lap to be achieved EVERY session.

As a matter of fact, Garmin has reinforced this by allowing you to ONLY compare sessions post-session within the same driver/car profile, and only for only a limited amount of time (four days is what I've heard, but I still have stuff on mine from September).

So while it would be nice to "load a reference lap" that can be a permanent yardstick every time you go out subsequent, that's not generally possible or even a good idea. Same as if you put a pro in, sets a lap, comes into the pits and hands it off to you!

This may be a feature add (I don't know) in the future, but for sure this is not something even pro teams usually do.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:45 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I don’t track a lot but I thought the Garmin would be a great tool to supplement the Porsche track precision app. I purchased the Garmin in late Sept and tried it on COTA in Oct in 100F. The Garmin worked great but couldn’t get the air buds to stay in. Worked on lines vs time since too hot.

back at COTA yesterday, great conditions. Set up the unit and enabled advanced coaching. A little masking tape to keep the air bud in.

after a couple of session saw were I could improve, Garmin liked me doing a little longer corner at higher speed vs shorter corners at lower speeds. The advanced coaching told me to push on, when to brake later, early vs late apex etc. really good. So by 3-4th session I reduced my time by 1 sec and my laps were only off my virtual best by 0.5sec. As a bonus, first time ever under 2:30 at COTA. My car is a Carrera T on R888R tires.

Last edited by tgavem; 12-13-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tgavem
I don’t track a lot but I thought the Garmin would be a great tool to supplement the Porsche track precision app.

The advanced coaching told me to push on, when to brake later, early vs late apex etc. really good.

So by 3-4th session I reduced my time by 1 sec and my laps were only off my virtual best by 0.5sec.

As a bonus, first time ever under 2:30 at COTA. My car is a Carrera T on R888R tires.
Congrats. Very effective tool for most.
tgavem (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 11:11 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

There must have been an update, now I can’t seem to find the videos of my lap. For some reason the video picture does not show in Session Summary.
even old session when I know I had video.

Any tips?

Last edited by tgavem; 12-13-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:30 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Congrats. Very effective tool for most.
agree.

however, for a very advanced or pro who have consistent lap, ie near zero variation then it is not as effective
Old 12-14-2020, 08:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

however, for a very advanced or pro who have consistent lap, ie near zero variation then it is not as effective
That is not true.

Ross Bentley drove an FP350S for a day and a half and when the Catalyst was installed, he gained nine-tenths of a second in six laps.

A GTD class winner at Petit LeMans was already on pole in front of fifty-five cars at VIR in September. He found four-tenths more using the Catalyst.

A winning club racer, with three other systems in the car and with the help of one of the best coach/pro drivers in the country, found more than a second over two days using his new Catalyst at a track he has driven hundreds of days in the last seven or eight years.

So, no. The variation in the top three can be less than HALF a TENTH of a PERCENT difference, yet the same driver can find almost half a second.

It’s a great tool.

On your video, normally it’s on the microSD card until you take it off using touch screen prompts when you get the warning that you are running out of space, or change the mSD card.

If there is any corruption of the session file, you won’t have video present or it will not play the Optimal lap all the way through.

I still have a few I can send out in time for that last minute holiday gift!

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-14-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added that it's "half a tenth of a percent difference!" Wow!
tgavem (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 09:29 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

I installed secondary card so shouldn’t be an issue w memory. Thank you I will check card.

Last time I remember I could view video on the device and now I can’t. I will check SD card.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I installed secondary card so shouldn’t be an issue w memory. Thank you I will check card.

Last time I remember I could view video on the device and now I can’t. I will check SD card.
Pull the secondary card and then check for the videos recorded BEFORE that second card was added.
tgavem (12-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching