Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I've been trying to do that for more than thirty-five years! Doesn't work...
I actually went and talked to that guy after the session and we had a good laugh about it. We'd actually talked about that turn earlier in the day. He's been trying to go deeper and deeper with the braking and I told him... have at it but if you go too far... just keep braking and go wide as there's plenty of room to save it but if you try to turn too soon it's all gonna go wrong.

So it was nice to actually see that play out in front of me, all perfectly safe but hilariously wrong.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:08 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Kudo's to Peter Krause, had my Garmin for a year but did not do install until June 2021. The hard-wired 12v power source was defective. Peter sent me a replacement 2day mail after informed
The following 2 users liked this post by T&T Racing:
ProCoach (07-22-2021), wellcoached (07-24-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:18 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Any tricks to getting the window suction cup to stay better? Mine fell off the windshield with no garmin weight attached!
Old 07-23-2021, 08:06 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

Clean window
Lick finger and run it around edge prior to applying it to window - should see a nice black circle when looking from outside. Any gaps in that circle means suction is no good.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Any tricks to getting the window suction cup to stay better? Mine fell off the windshield with no garmin weight attached!
Just like RAM mounts and anything else attached to the glass, it needs to be scrupulously clean. Both the suction cup face and glass should be cleaned with an effective cleaner that leaves no residue, like invisible glass or Windex cleaner.

Then, a small amount of moisture around the periphery of the suction cup makes it even better.

It is very unusual for any suction cup mount to come loose with proper preparation.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-23-2021, 09:19 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Just like RAM mounts and anything else attached to the glass, it needs to be scrupulously clean. Both the suction cup face and glass should be cleaned with an effective cleaner that leaves no residue, like invisible glass or Windex cleaner.

Then, a small amount of moisture around the periphery of the suction cup makes it even better.

It is very unusual for any suction cup mount to come loose with proper preparation.
Acetone is a good cleaner to remove organic contaminants
Old 07-23-2021, 10:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Acetone is a good cleaner to remove organic contaminants
And you can remove your nail polish with any leftover.......
The following users liked this post:
T&T Racing (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:50 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

These posts reminded me to go check on mine and remove it. I'd just left it after my last track day and it's been nearly two weeks and it was still solidly attached. My GoPro mount on the rear windshield falls off after a few days, and was sitting on the floor in the back as expected.
I keep a bottle of lens cleaner in my track stuff bag. I use it to clean the cup and the glass and then spritz the cup to wet it before attaching it. This seems to work well.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:13 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Thanks gents!
ProCoach (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:18 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Question, can a friend and I share the data from our garmin catalysts and see each other's segments to see who was quicker where and how?
Old 07-25-2021, 11:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

If I understand it correctly the side SD card input can be used for a second profile / friend and the internal one stays yours. You just have to remove his during your run since the side one is prioritized over the internal one..
Old 07-25-2021, 11:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
Question, can a friend and I share the data from our garmin catalysts and see each other's segments to see who was quicker where and how?
There is no easy way to do this, no way to overlay stripcharts or maps or even download reasonably sampled data.

There is a way to compare two driver’s runs. Don’t change the driver name or vehicle, then compare both runs for speed and G’s.

Originally Posted by ExMB
If I understand it correctly the side SD card input can be used for a second profile / friend and the internal one stays yours. You just have to remove his during your run since the side one is prioritized over the internal one..
Nope. The side takes precedence over the bottom. Not recommended. Also, video is retrievable but only the last few days of runs in the flash memory.

The Catalyst is primarily designed for real-time coaching and study of potential improvement. This is not like an AiM Solo to offload data and overlay for comparison.
243R (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Just got back from wgi with niagara. Was having a weird issue with my car over 5000 rpm..felt like ignition break up…
then the Garmin was acting funny, even though the video was there.. the “ opportunities” video said “ video not avail or missing”. The last session “ before the rain came.. I started the car and the camera wouldn’t connect..at all. thinking the alternator is dying a slow death and even though the car started the voltage is below the threshold of what it takes for the camera to connect… car is still in the trailer but I will confirm when I get home.. does this make sense?

Last edited by GPA951s; 07-30-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Just got back from wgi with niagara. Was having a weird issue with my car over 5000 rpm..felt like ignition break up…
then the Garmin was acting funny, even though the video was there.. the “ opportunities” video said “ video not avail or missing”. The last session “ before the rain came.. I started the car and the camera wouldn’t connect..at all. thinking the alternator is dying a slow death and even though the car started the voltage is below the threshold of what it takes for the camera to connect… car is still in the trailer but I will confirm when I get home.. does this make sense?
Completely makes sense. Parallel symptoms of low voltage in both the car and the Catalyst.

Both worked at home before you went, and it degraded over time. So yes…
Old 07-30-2021, 03:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

When the garmin coach says "better than average." What does that mean? I'm guessing it means that I took a turn better than "MY" average for however many laps garmin has recorded.
As I improve I guess a "new" average is made and then if I "continue" to improve with garmin say "better and average" again?

I wonder under what conditions does garmin say things like "better than average" vs. "apex later"?

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching