ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,062 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Default Ross Bentley Podcast with Garmin’s Adam Spence

Fascinating conversation, particularly 12:00 to 25:00 and 32:30-35:00

https://speedsecrets.com/160-adam-sp...faster-driver/
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Any chance they do an update to overlay data on the video? That is the one area where I feel they missed the mark.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I will be using this unit this weekend, Does anyone know if it will support 2 wireless headsets at the same time so both student and instructor can hear the voice commands.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:31 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Any chance they do an update to overlay data on the video? That is the one area where I feel they missed the mark.
Agreed, especially when looking at the optimal lap.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

A friend had one of these at HPR this past weekend. It looks great and I really like how small the camera is, I'll be able to mount it behind the rear view mirror in my 996 and just leave it there all the time. My one knock on it is they don't include a wireless OBD2 dongle to capture tach feed and other parameters. Any idea if they're going to incorporate that soon? I want to buy one in the Spring of 2021...
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (10-04-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgmark
I will be using this unit this weekend, Does anyone know if it will support 2 wireless headsets at the same time so both student and instructor can hear the voice commands.
yes
Old 09-24-2020, 11:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
A friend had one of these at HPR this past weekend. It looks great and I really like how small the camera is, I'll be able to mount it behind the rear view mirror in my 996 and just leave it there all the time. My one knock on it is they don't include a wireless OBD2 dongle to capture tach feed and other parameters. Any idea if they're going to incorporate that soon? I want to buy one in the Spring of 2021...
Not immediately. Outside the wheelhouse of this device.

The key is that it is measuring “end result,” so that information is not a benefit to aId what it is designed to do, nor does it help to see that info if you’re not going to do anything about it in the end.

I hope people can be open enough to look at this as a paradigm shift in driver optimization, one away from the complexity that can and has caused people to study throttle traces for hours and never get any faster.

Before OBDII info existed, there was only accelerometer data. With this you could derive throttle speed and amplitude by studying the build up of positive thrust, just as you could derive from the negative longitudinal g a direct correlation to brake application speed, amplitude and slowing consistency in distance and force. This does the same thing.

Is it the be all, end all? No. Is it complimentary to that legacy, conventional way of logging and “interpretation,” if you have access to that? Yes. Does the device need that information (and by extension the person using the device) to go faster? Emphatically NO!

Please listen to the Ross Bentley-Adam Spence interview. It’s not just about a device, it’s about what is important to go faster, and pulling down the impediments, be they technological or subjective valuation of the best execution of fundamental skills, to doing just that.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The most basic information is on the video playback on the device, time and speed. The computational power of the device is better spent making the calculations for real time evaluating of your performance and formulating feedback.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:57 AM
Nugs.
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The most basic information is on the video playback on the device, time and speed. The computational power of the device is better spent making the calculations for real time evaluating of your performance and formulating feedback.
It doesn't have to do it in real time. Their Virb Edit software is very intuitive they could use that. If I plug my Garmin Virb into the PC it will import the video and data and you just have to pick/edit the overlay you want, sync up the data to the video, then render (but the data from the Garmin Virb is not very accurate).
I know it's not the main purpose of this device but it would be nice if it did similar.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:09 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

I spoke to the Garmin rep yesterday. I'm not sure they expected the excitement and enthusiasm this unit would bring (or at least he didn't)!! One of the nice things about technology in today's world is its normally built to be easily upgradeable based on new needs and requirements to stay relevant.
Rendering real time data onto live video is actually (surprisingly) not as easy as you would think (see the Apex Pro and how it takes a while to render after the session). Garmin has the ability and tool kit at their disposal to do it, and if the business model can justify the expense of developing it, I'm sure they will.
As Peter said, that's not the 'intent' of the Catalyst, but in today's world where everyone wants to share everything, they will probably need to at some point.

We should be having these in stock in a couple weeks...will be interesting to play around with it (though I no longer have a car to track...).

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-25-2020, 08:51 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Ready to give it a test this weekend. The setup was super easy and you can pretty much figure out the whole system in a half hour. I really like the magnetic mount as there are no cables to disconnect when you need to remove it from the car.
The display is very large and easy to read. The placement could be an issue with a side net.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgmark
Ready to give it a test this weekend. The setup was super easy and you can pretty much figure out the whole system in a half hour. I really like the magnetic mount as there are no cables to disconnect when you need to remove it from the car.
The display is very large and easy to read. The placement could be an issue with a side net.
If there is any way to raise it so the upper half of the Catalyst is above the top of the dash cover, it will help the GPS a great deal. Good luck and please report back.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:08 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Today I am going to roll it out of the garage and look at the GPS Reception with different placements. A remote GPS Antenna might be a good add on. Also working on a Bluetooth adapter for my Stilo helmet. This should be a good test for me as I have a lot of laps in at Blackhawk Farms. The simplicity of the system is impressive. If it is as powerful in performance they will sell a bunch. In my other car I have a full aim system but I have never been able to use all of its power.

Last edited by dgmark; 09-25-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 AM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If there is any way to raise it so the upper half of the Catalyst is above the top of the dash cover, it will help the GPS a great deal. Good luck and please report back.
Really Peter?

I have the Garmin now and have it above the dash, but when I was using Harry's and a Dual bluetooth GPS, the GPS unit worked just fine when I kept it in the glove box, below the dash and airbag and all.

Mike
Old 09-25-2020, 09:22 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

There is a function that tells you how accurate the GPS reception is in feet and how many satellites you are receiving.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching