Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 10:57 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

The electric motor is in-line with the engine and will be generating power during all of the slowdowns as described. Harder braking means more brakes, less regen. E-hold means the car is careful to keep the battery where it is rather than slowly use it up like in Hybrid, so basically, nearly all gas except when regen adds some battery power..Basically the way a non-plug-in hybrid works.

Last edited by orca15; 11-26-2021 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jamesbilluk (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 01:27 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15
The electric motor is in-line with the engine and will be generating power during all of the slowdowns as described. Harder braking means more brakes, less regen. E-hold means the car is careful to keep the battery where it is rather than slowly use it up like in Hybrid, so basically, nearly all gas except when regen adds some battery power..Basically the way a non-plug-in hybrid works.

Thank you very much for that, and the diagram too.

Strange today though, I had the car in E hold mode, and the power still seemed to be going down slightly, even with some regen. It was 4 degrees C, maybe it was that.
​​​
Old 11-27-2021, 05:16 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have found that the battery still tends to discharge a little in E-Hold but only by a small amount. I wish Porsche had added a second "Manettino" or a steering wheel control to control e-Hybrid mode between the three modes. In the typical very heavy traffic on British motorways, I really don't like having to take my eyes off the road for even a second or so to change the hybrid mode on the PCM. If I am in a stop/start queue, which is very common on these very heavy traffic density routes, I would want to be in Hybrid automatic mode. Then when the traffic clears, I would go to e-charge to bring the battery up again and only when I have over 15-17 miles of capacity, change over to e-hold until the next queue. It is a real pleasure driving in France, where most of the time, traffic density is far lower than the UK.

Wilson
jamesbilluk (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 05:38 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I have found that the battery still tends to discharge a little in E-Hold but only by a small amount. I wish Porsche had added a second "Manettino" or a steering wheel control to control e-Hybrid mode between the three modes. In the typical very heavy traffic on British motorways, I really don't like having to take my eyes off the road for even a second or so to change the hybrid mode on the PCM. If I am in a stop/start queue, which is very common on these very heavy traffic density routes, I would want to be in Hybrid automatic mode. Then when the traffic clears, I would go to e-charge to bring the battery up again and only when I have over 15-17 miles of capacity, change over to e-hold until the next queue. It is a real pleasure driving in France, where most of the time, traffic density is far lower than the UK.

Wilson
Thanks Wilson, that's the same as mine only discharges a tiny bit.

I agree about that, I have my E hold, charge, and hybrid set on the home screen, still having to take my eyes off the road though. I did wonder if it was possible to have the diamond button set to E charge or E hold.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:49 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Hi all,

​​​​​​My 4 E hybrid seems to be getting about 20-21 miles E range at the moment with this cold weather. With warmer weather, should that increase closer to the quoted porshe range, the car is a 2017.

James
Old 11-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by jamesbilluk
Hi all,

​​​​​​My 4 E hybrid seems to be getting about 20-21 miles E range at the moment with this cold weather. With warmer weather, should that increase closer to the quoted porshe range, the car is a 2017.

James
That is exactly what my one is getting also a 2017 (October) car.
Wilson
Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
That is exactly what my one is getting also a 2017 (October) car.
Wilson
Hi Wilson,

​​​​Good to hear. I must admit, I'm quite impressed how accurate the E range is, and in this cold weather as well.

James
Old 11-28-2021, 05:37 PM
untruenorth
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesbilluk
Also chipping in with a UK 2017 car that reports around 20-22 at this time of year. Although, since it's back at the dealer - again - I'm not sure whether the very recent sub-zero, rather than merely cold, weather has dented that much.

By contrast, I can report that the 70 plate 4S E-Hybrid loaner shows about 26-27 miles on a full charge, though I suspect that it might be new enough to have the slightly larger battery. Oddly, it feels a bit less sprightly in electric mode, and keener to start the petrol engine compared to mine.

In all cases, the range estimate is a good deal more accurate than in my old PHEV (a Passat GTE), which would regularly guess at high 20s range and delivery low 20s. The Porsche seems to regularly deliver it's predicted range.
The following 3 users liked this post by untruenorth:
jamesbilluk (11-28-2021), MKC91 (11-29-2021), Wilson Laidlaw (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:58 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by untruenorth
Also chipping in with a UK 2017 car that reports around 20-22 at this time of year. Although, since it's back at the dealer - again - I'm not sure whether the very recent sub-zero, rather than merely cold, weather has dented that much.

By contrast, I can report that the 70 plate 4S E-Hybrid loaner shows about 26-27 miles on a full charge, though I suspect that it might be new enough to have the slightly larger battery. Oddly, it feels a bit less sprightly in electric mode, and keener to start the petrol engine compared to mine.

In all cases, the range estimate is a good deal more accurate than in my old PHEV (a Passat GTE), which would regularly guess at high 20s range and delivery low 20s. The Porsche seems to regularly deliver it's predicted range.
Thank you. That sounds very similar to mine, it will be interesting to see how it changes with the warmer weather.

That's a good amount of range from the 4S E Hybrid, I wonder if it has the 17kwh battery in.

The range does seem very accurate, maybe drops a mile, as I haven't tried the pre heating yet, so I usually have seats seats/steering wheel on, so I imagine that would take a bit of power.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:25 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Be careful using the pre-heater in very cold weather. This has a considerable drain on the 12V service battery (maybe the fan), even though the actual heating comes from the traction battery. The DC to DC converter system for charging the service battery does not appear to start, until the car is actually powered up. The end result is that when you come to start the car at the end of the pre-heat period, you may get the low battery indication with immediate service required warning, which prevents the car from starting, until you plug in a service battery charger. I keep a CTEK MXS 5.0 in the boot at all times together with a 32A to 13A adapter lead, so that I can use the 12v charger from the 32A/230V AC supply for the traction battery charger and I plug the charge lead into the 12V accessory socket in the luggage compartment. This raises the service battery voltage within a couple of seconds, high enough for the car to fire up, at which point you can disconnect the CTEK charger. The DC to DC converter then starts, which keeps the service battery at an adequate voltage for the various ECU's. You may then notice that the charge voltage will be very high at over 15V until the service battery is charged again.

Wilson
jamesbilluk (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 07:33 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Thank you for the information there Wilson. I may stick to starting and warning up the car normally!

When I left this morning, it was 0.5 degrees C. I was amazed how fast the car warmed up/melted the ice on the windscreen. The heated steering wheel was welcome as well!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Signed up for a 2022 ST 4 E HYBRID. What's changed from 20/21?

This is an amazing thread from which I have learned much. After 3 generations of boxsters, a 911 and now a Macan, I think it is time to be more ecological, especially as my wife drives a model 3 Tesla. Still do not think that US charger infrastructure can support a 2 electric car family as otherwise Taycan CT is very attractive.

What this thread seems to tell me is that there were definitely early adopter penalties for 2017/2018 buyers. And the 2020 refresh gave a bigger battery. But what about 2022? As I hover now seating allocation, I have to pay MSRP and wait until May or June, hopefully with ED.

How has the tech changed? I have ACC on my Macan S and on long US highways it is very good. LKA is annoying but LCA vital. Not sure what Innodrive is.

Any comments great fully received.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:15 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

The 4S E-Hybrid, which debuted in 2021, indeed has the new 17.9kw battery. Porsche says it should deliver 34 miles of battery-only range (which may obviously be less depending on extreme weather and driving method).

Here is a
to a video that explain the changes from 971.1 (2017-2020) to 971.2 (2021+).

Here is a
to a video that explains the changes from the 2021 model to the 2022 model (the biggest change is PCM 6).

Old 11-29-2021, 12:26 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Hi all, I charged the 4 E hybrid overnight last night, as I only had a relatively short local journey to do. On the range, it claimed it would do 18 miles. As it was, I ran out of E range before I got home, and only got 12 miles on the charge before the engine kicked in. This didn't seem much! It was quite a flat journey, I was stuck in some traffic as well, and it's freezing outside. (and the heater was on) Is this normal? Or something to be investigated.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:16 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Just got off the phone to the local Dealership just to check, the chap who I spoke to said that range in this weather sounds about right .. Hope it gets better with the warmer weather!

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread