Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 01:00 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the mystery button at the base of the B Pillar, I found this on another post:
"It disables the interior motion sensor when the door is locked and passengers are inside. It’s a weird placement for sure."
And I think that if you press twice in a row on the remote control button that locks the car, you get the same result (interior motion sensor disabled).

The following users liked this post:
scurvy (11-02-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 11:29 AM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

New record for me. Can likely squeeze another 200kms before needing to fill up.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:03 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good for you. By my calculation, that is about 98MPG (US gallons). Nice.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:26 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by xBlueStreakx
That's nice! I have gone over 1500km a few times, too tempted to drive around in Sports+ on the weekends. :-) Now with premium gas prices getting closer to $2.00 per litre (actually $1.73 now), I am not looking forward to my next fill up.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:42 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC91
That's nice! I have gone over 1500km a few times, too tempted to drive around in Sports+ on the weekends. :-) Now with premium gas prices getting closer to $2.00 per litre (actually $1.73 now), I am not looking forward to my next fill up.
Shoot! I guess us folks in the States shouldn’t complain about $4-5/gallon gas when you guys are paying the equivalent of around $7/gallon. Sure helps to have a PHEV.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:54 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by xBlueStreakx
Which model year is your car? Do you have the new 17.8-kWh battery pack?
Old 10-29-2021, 04:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15

Regarding my build - I posted this question elsewhere but didn't get a lot of responses.

Night vision - Monthly, I drive more than an hour each way on one lane, 55 mph, windy AWESOME farm roads on my trip north. These are the roads I am buying the Porsche for. Makes a business drive into a recreational one. Now, When I have to do it in twilight, though, I go a more established route as the deer are everywhere. Will this actually significantly prevent deer encounters of the first kind?
I got the Assistance and Premium packages. No real questions.
I've not been on Rennlist a lot this year, so I just saw this message now that you posted a couple months back. I presume that your order is in and that you're getting the Night Vision infrared camera. I got it on my 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid, and have some disappointments with it. I would still recommend it, and it's very cool, but it has some serious drawbacks: (1) the camera is located way too low on the lower bumper, meaning that you're looking underneath even sedans with low ground clearance in front of you (it should be mounted up at the top of the glass in front of the rear-view mirror); (2) its lens is not a very wide angle, and its being low on the bumper PLUS not being a very wide-angle lens means that you don't see anything to the right or left of your car within about 10-20 feet in front of you in the infrared screen -- so that you'll only pick up deer or pedestrians or cyclists ahead of you when they are really like 20 yards or more ahead of you; and (3) its display is confined to the right side of the instrument panel only, which is partially obscured by the right side of the steering wheel, meaning you have to jog your head leftward unnaturally to see the whole screen (and without doing so, the all-important right side of the infrared view is hidden by the steering wheel), and the display also is inconvenient because it blocks out other useful information normally displayed to the right of the tachometer. While it's not as convenient as having it right in front of you, it would actually be useful if you could have the entire infrared-camera video be shown as an option on your center infotainment screen; I think that quick glances there as you're driving at night would not be unsafe or unpractical.

Last edited by cometguy; 10-29-2021 at 04:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cometguy:
orca15 (10-30-2021), scurvy (11-02-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 11:32 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you, cometguy, for your comments and pictures. I have found the night vision system worthwhile and yet also somewhat disappointing. It wasn't clear to me how it might be better, but your post cleared that up. Let's hope Porsche reads your post too.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:42 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Thanks also, and yes, the order locked a couple of weeks ago and I added the night vision. Got the dealer to give me a couple hundred off the option price so that eased the sting a little bit. Good review!
Old 10-31-2021, 09:34 AM
Norseman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Hi guys!
Suppose this thread may have fulfilled its purpose, but having just acquired a Panamera 4E Hybrid, I am extremely grateful for the 2500+ posts! It has certainly eased my introduction to what is a superb vehicle. Bought my first Porsche 10 years ago, a Cayenne Turbo Diesel. An amazing car which I picked up at Porsche Leipzig. It has taken my family around Europe many times and recently to our house in France (incidentally in the neighbouring village to Winston). Driving through Germany (1 100 km or 700 miles) on one tank of diesel, topping 225 km/h with my wife asleepAnyway, all good things come to an end and after ten years and with kids leaving home it was time for my 997.2 4S to receive a new companion.

My Panamera is in Dolomite Silver with Saddle Brown interior and Carbon trim. It was a show car in one of the Porsche Centres, 2019 MY, but only registered in 2020 so with five years guarantee until May 2025 and the following extras:
• Rear wheel steering
• Sport exhaust
• Brake calipers in black
• Heated steering wheel
• 8 x 21'' Panamera SportDesign wheels - summer and winter
• Heated front and rear seats
• Seat ventilation front seats
• Porsche Entry & Drive
• Blacked out windows behind B-pilar
• Lane Change Assist
• Surround View
• LED-Matrix in black Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
• Dark LED rear lights
• Adaptive cruise control
• 4 way AC
• BOSE surround speaker system
• Soft Close doors
• 7,2 kW on board charger
• Head-Up display
• PORSCHE-logo in black
• Lane Keep Assist
• Adaptive Sport Seats with 18 way
• Window frames in black gloss
• Ambient interior lights
• Digital radio (DAB, DAB+, DMB)
• Full leather interior "Saddle Brown"
• USB interface / connection rear seat
• HomeLink

So far, two months' worth of driving have left me with no issues to report. My office is six miles from home (10 km), downhill in the morning and uphill late afternoon/early evening. No problem doing the return trip fully electric with overnight charging only so far although it is getting chilly here in Norway. Have done about 1 000 miles (1 600 km) and so far averaging approx 60 US or 70 UK mpg (4 l / 100 km), but the real joy comes from driving into Oslo with no pollution (electricity in Norway is almost pure hydro).
Old 10-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Does anyone know what spec the data GSM data receiver is in the 2018 Model year Panamera 4 E-Hybrid? I am about to replace the Vodafone SIM card that I have been using for the last 18 months, which does not work very well. I would probably like to find a data only SIM card deal on the 3/EE UK network, as that has the best signal coverage around where I live in East Sussex, UK. I presume the Panamera does not have a 5G receiver and I am not sure it even has 4G as the 4G Vodafone card I have, often only shows LTE reception which is 2.5G I think. Obviously the higher network that the SIM card you buy can access, the greater the cost but there is zero point buying a 5G SIM card if the receiver you are plugging it into is only 3G capable. The data roaming on the Vodafone card never worked when I had the Panamera at my French house so the change in roaming rules post Brexit will not affect me, as I won't miss what I never had, since dumping the very expensive Porsche data network connection.

Wilson
Old 10-31-2021, 02:29 PM
untruenorth
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m pretty sure it does LTE, which (if I recall) is one of the 4G standards. Can’t check right now as I’ve redeployed the SIM as backup for my broadband, but I’ve had a 3 4G SIM in mine, which is a model year 2018 car on a ‘17 plate. HTH.

Last edited by untruenorth; 10-31-2021 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by untruenorth:
MKC91 (11-01-2021), Wilson Laidlaw (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:03 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by untruenorth
I’m pretty sure it does LTE, which (if I recall) is one of the 4G standards. Can’t check right now as I’ve redeployed the SIM as backup for my broadband, but I’ve had a 3 4G SIM in mine, which is a model year 2018 car on a ‘17 plate. HTH.
LTE is the faster end of 4G, not the slower end, at least in the US. Upwards of 50Mbps. Definitely not 2.5G, more like 4.5. Basically home wifi speeds.

Last edited by orca15; 11-01-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:42 PM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charge-o-mat Pro - Do I still need to use this to keep the battery fresh if I leave my hybrid charger plugged in when I am not going to drive the car for a month or two? And is that okay to leave the hybrid charger plugged in for over a month?
Old 11-02-2021, 04:40 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I left my Panamera on a CTEK battery tender for two months this summer, while I was in France and it was just fine when I got back in early October. As I used the same power supply for the CTEK as the 7.2kW charger uses (with a 32A 230V to 13A adapter cable), I left the 7.2 kW charger disconnected and actually removed it from its wall bracket and put it inside the house, given that it costs around £1600. The traction battery had not lost any significant charge over the two months, not on a charger. When I go to Barbados over Christmas and the New Year to stay with relatives, I will leave my Panamera on the CTEK 12V service battery tender, as otherwise when I get back, I am sure I would get the low service battery warning when I get back, together with a failure to wake up. I don't like leaving the bonnet open, which I would have to if I connected to the jumper cable points as recommended. When leaving for a long period unused, I connect direct to the battery terminals, behind the panel in the right of the trunk. The service battery losing charge seems very temperature dependent. The lower the temperature, the quicker it loses charge.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread