Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:32 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vidarot
I’m thinking some of you if not most have had this problem. Last few weeks the charge port flap has opened on the 4 or 5 try but these last few days it just won’t open. Does anyone know of a way/trick to get the flap open. This design of the open/close mechanism is starting to annoy me a bit.
It's more common than you think. Mine did this same thing, to the point where the hinge became loose and looked as if it was going to fall off. It's a poor design, I've complained about it to my advisor about it and he has heard the same over the years.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:34 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My charge port door has had to be replaced twice, once under warranty and once out of my pocket. Both times from ice damage. Very poor design, where if it is on charge outside (the only suitable location for a 32 Amp/230V supply at my house), water/snow will enter the latch orifice and then freeze. Once this has frozen, it is close to impossible to get it unfrozen until the temperature climbs again. I have tried with alcohol and a heat gun with no success. As often as not, the expanding freezing water will have broken the latch and the whole charge door and port has to be replaced. I have tried various solutions like a fold back rubber flap over the latch orifice but it did not work very well and came unstuck after a couple of weeks. There is an emergency mechanical release behind the left side panel in the luggage area for the charge port door. I have also had the charge plug fail to release on a number of occasions. The emergency release procedure is as follows: You have to turn the "ignition" on, attempt to start and then turn off and rush round to the the charge plug within 10 seconds and it should have released and can be removed.

Wilson
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 05:02 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
The software is really screwed up. I went into the service record on the PCM yesterday to see when my oil change was due. It shows dozens of services all at the same date as the software was updated and with a registered mileage of over 600,000 miles for each item. My actual mileage is 13,850 miles. Yet another thing to get corrected on its next visit to the dealer. What do other folks see on the PCM service records?

Wilson
No issue here Wilson. I just checked mine and shows Inspection and Oil service in 7,700 and 8,000 miles respectively or December '21 whichever is sooner. I was trying to see what SW version I have and found MH12_US_POG24_P5129 1402 but not sure if I'm looking at the right thing. Anyway, the dealer just took the engine out of my car to replace the PDK transmission, I believe they updated all the software at the same time since I was having other issues. My car is running beautifully right now so fingers crossed it stays that way.
Wilson Laidlaw (06-27-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 07:15 PM
untruenorth
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage12
I was trying to see what SW version I have and found MH12_US_POG24_P5129 1402
Now you're just taunting us with your up-to-date software! MH12_ER_POG24_P4187 1138 here - as "fresh" as the day it left the factory. Unfortunately. It's on the list for the dealer to see to next week...
Vintage12 (06-26-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:38 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

The neutral button on my Panamera gear selector had started to misbehave over the last week. It required an increasingly long and hard push before the neutral confirmation light would appear. I could foresee an expensive visit to the dealer, without even resorting to my crystal ball, where they would decide that the entire shifter mechanism had to be replaced at probably close to £1,000 including labour. So with nothing to lose, I thought I would give it a try, with Servisol Super 10 switch cleaner and lubricant spray. I used an aerosol with a very fine straw on it to aim the stream around the switch and into the crevices. It did wash a small amount of dirt/dust out. Now given that in the UK I live up 1/2 a mile of farm road, where couriers try to break the land speed record during the deliveries to the three houses on the road, this generates a lot of dust. In France in summer, I live in the very dry, Haut Var in Provence and my house is built right at the edge of a 1,000 foot high escarpment, so it is both windy and dusty, especially after the Sahara rains have been and dried to very fine red powder. I assume some of this dust must have got into the switch. I gave it a number of treatments, moving the gear selector to forward and then pushing the neutral button repeatedly after each treatment. I then blew it out with canned air. After it dried off, I am delighted to report it is a 100% cure and I now just need to lightly and briefly touch the neutral button for the desired effect. £1,000 saved for the cost of about 1/3 of a can of Servisol. I must order some more, as it is very useful for restoring switches that have become somewhat reluctant and cleaning the contacts on multi-pin connector plugs.

Wilson

Old 07-01-2021, 04:26 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wilson, your post about the "neutral" button makes me curious whether we have a simple difference in nomenclature or whether Panameras have a functional difference between the UK and US. In my US-version 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid, the button on the shift lever is labeled "park." When pressed, it shifts the gear selection into park and engages the parking brakes electronically. A little red light on the button also lights when it goes into park. As far as I know, moving the shift lever itself is the only way to get the car into neutral without applying the parking brakes. Is your car different from this?
Old 07-02-2021, 04:31 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by louver
Wilson, your post about the "neutral" button makes me curious whether we have a simple difference in nomenclature or whether Panameras have a functional difference between the UK and US. In my US-version 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid, the button on the shift lever is labeled "park." When pressed, it shifts the gear selection into park and engages the parking brakes electronically. A little red light on the button also lights when it goes into park. As far as I know, moving the shift lever itself is the only way to get the car into neutral without applying the parking brakes. Is your car different from this?
Sorry, I should have said "Park" not "Neutral". You are of course correct, that neutral is found via the gear selector, as I have found out from my various car recovery journeys, being winched aboard a truck after pot hole induced tyre failures. I wonder if Pirelli have reinforced the latest version of their low noise P Zero tyres, as they appear to be a bit more robust than the standard P Zeros were. They were absurdly fragile and even a modest pot hole could cause them to fail. Currently British roads are in an appalling state. Unfortunately the more robust all weather tyres from Michelin and Pirelli are not available in the UK in the 21" size of my wheels but only in 19".

Wilson
Old 07-14-2021, 04:23 PM
daniela
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question related to the turbo function

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Porsche Panamera e-hybrid 4, from 2017, and I'm having some 'issues' related with the turbo and turbocharging function.
Basically, when I'm accelerating the turbo indicator runs out, and when this happens the car 'loses' power noticeably and the acceleration is completely different from when the turbo indicator is fully (or partially) charged.
After this happens I raise my foot from the accelerator and sometimes the turbo returns, but sometimes it doesn't, and I'm trying to understand if this is normal or if I should get it checked.
I was going to leave a video attached when I'm mid-acceleration, and you'll notice that when I raise the foot from the accelerator the turbo (that was partially charged) suddenly disappears completely, and you feel a drastic change in the car's power, but unfortunately I can't upload videos here.
I'd appreciate if any of you could help me understand this matter, thank you!
Old 07-15-2021, 06:10 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by daniela
Hi guys,
I recently bought a Porsche Panamera e-hybrid 4, from 2017, and I'm having some 'issues' related with the turbo and turbocharging function.
Basically, when I'm accelerating the turbo indicator runs out, and when this happens the car 'loses' power noticeably and the acceleration is completely different from when the turbo indicator is fully (or partially) charged.
After this happens I raise my foot from the accelerator and sometimes the turbo returns, but sometimes it doesn't, and I'm trying to understand if this is normal or if I should get it checked.
I was going to leave a video attached when I'm mid-acceleration, and you'll notice that when I raise the foot from the accelerator the turbo (that was partially charged) suddenly disappears completely, and you feel a drastic change in the car's power, but unfortunately I can't upload videos here.
I'd appreciate if any of you could help me understand this matter, thank you!
Visit to a dealer is called for. Did you get any warranty when you purchased? This behaviour is completely wrong. The boost does top out at around 1 bar to protect the engine against pre-ignition/knocking but is otherwise very progressive.

Wilson
Old 08-04-2021, 03:55 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, I have spent about a month working through this extremely informative thread, and reliving your adventures - Wilson, buddy, I would have considered Hari Kari after all the troubles you have had. And the Porsche on the brick wall - I had to wipe a tear or two away. The COVID battery storage section was, simply put, poignant. Meanwhile I have learned so much, and am happy to say, am in the midst of ordering a 2022 P4 E-hybrid for European Delivery, if the world allows. Long time 911 owner.

Regarding my build - I posted this question elsewhere but didn't get a lot of responses. Hoping to make it a little more interactive with specific questions - please chime in!
  1. Carmine Red/Chalk interior - anyone think the chalk is too hard to take care of?
  2. 7.2kW onboard charger - Overnight charging will be with 240/50 but mostly to future proof when there are chargers at destinations. Heck, it's only a grand...and another grand..and another
  3. Thermal/Noise glass and cell service - sounds like you lose 1/2 to 1 bar - I am in an area with spotty cell but REALLY like quiet cars. Anyone just driven mad with cell service inside dual pane glass? Is this really an issue you notice?
  4. Wood (Walnut) trim - looks classy to me
  5. Rear steering - hoping it will help parking in my 90 degree garage turn in, plus, I've driven it once and it was flat out cool.
  6. Rear side window shades - seems like a good idea - gets hot here
  7. Rear shade/retractable luggage/cardboard luggage cover - I really am stumped here. I will RARELY pull the retractable cover closed - generally remove them from my cars. I guess if you get it and the rear shade, it is one big unit? If you get the shade and cardboard cover, is the shade in a bar by itself? How does the cardboard luggage cover look - do you just leave in in there all the time? Comments on this would be super helpful.
  8. Night vision - Monthly, I drive more than an hour each way on one lane, 55 mph, windy AWESOME farm roads on my trip north. These are the roads I am buying the Porsche for. Makes a business drive into a recreational one. Now, When I have to do it in twilight, though, I go a more established route as the deer are everywhere. Will this actually significantly prevent deer encounters of the first kind?
  9. I got the Assistance and Premium packages. No real questions.
  10. PDLS+ - I wish I could go back in time and tell the 2017-2018 gang not to hold their breath. For yet one more $grand, any thoughts on whether Porsche will ever free the matrix demons if the rules change? Will the rules change? Can't believe this has lingered for 8 years.
  11. 14 Way seats - as a pretty chubby guy (250+), I have been talked out of the 18 way seats, because the side bolsters, particularly the chair back, will be too narrow even with the adjustments. Could really use some help here. It's only one more grand
  12. Massage - if I don;t get the 18 way, there will be this one grand sitting around that needs to be spent - will make the wife happy.

Again, great reading all the information you guys have provided and well worth the 171 page read. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by orca15; 08-04-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Wilson Laidlaw (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:38 PM
riksche
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orca15
Well, I have spent about a month working through this extremely informative thread, and reliving your adventures - Wilson, buddy, I would have considered Hari Kari after all the troubles you have had. And the Porsche on the brick wall - I had to wipe a tear or two away. The COVID battery storage section was, simply put, poignant. Meanwhile I have learned so much, and am happy to say, am in the midst of ordering a 2022 P4 E-hybrid for European Delivery, if the world allows. Long time 911 owner.

Regarding my build - I posted this question elsewhere but didn't get a lot of responses. Hoping to make it a little more interactive with specific questions - please chime in!
  1. Carmine Red/Chalk interior - anyone think the chalk is too hard to take care of?
  2. 7.2kW onboard charger - Overnight charging will be with 240/50 but mostly to future proof when there are chargers at destinations. Heck, it's only a grand...and another grand..and another
  3. Thermal/Noise glass and cell service - sounds like you lose 1/2 to 1 bar - I am in an area with spotty cell but REALLY like quiet cars. Anyone just driven mad with cell service inside dual pane glass? Is this really an issue you notice?
  4. Wood (Walnut) trim - looks classy to me
  5. Rear steering - hoping it will help parking in my 90 degree garage turn in, plus, I've driven it once and it was flat out cool.
  6. Rear side window shades - seems like a good idea - gets hot here
  7. Rear shade/retractable luggage/cardboard luggage cover - I really am stumped here. I will RARELY pull the retractable cover closed - generally remove them from my cars. I guess if you get it and the rear shade, it is one big unit? If you get the shade and cardboard cover, is the shade in a bar by itself? How does the cardboard luggage cover look - do you just leave in in there all the time? Comments on this would be super helpful.
  8. Night vision - Monthly, I drive more than an hour each way on one lane, 55 mph, windy AWESOME farm roads on my trip north. These are the roads I am buying the Porsche for. Makes a business drive into a recreational one. Now, When I have to do it in twilight, though, I go a more established route as the deer are everywhere. Will this actually significantly prevent deer encounters of the first kind?
  9. I got the Assistance and Premium packages. No real questions.
  10. PDLS+ - I wish I could go back in time and tell the 2017-2018 gang not to hold their breath. For yet one more $grand, any thoughts on whether Porsche will ever free the matrix demons if the rules change? Will the rules change? Can't believe this has lingered for 8 years.
  11. 14 Way seats - as a pretty chubby guy (250+), I have been talked out of the 18 way seats, because the side bolsters, particularly the chair back, will be too narrow even with the adjustments. Could really use some help here. It's only one more grand
  12. Massage - if I don;t get the 18 way, there will be this one grand sitting around that needs to be spent - will make the wife happy.

Again, great reading all the information you guys have provided and well worth the 171 page read. Thanks in advance.
First off, i couldn’t agree more that reading this whole thread was extremely informative while waiting for my 2021 4S-E to be built and delivered.

1) Can’t comment on Chalk - I went for the Dolomite Silver - Saddle Brown/Luxor Beige interior.

2) Definitely go for the 7.2kW charger.

3) I went for the Thermal/Noise glass and am glad that I did. I have not noticed any issue with cell service, but my radar detector keeps losing GPS signal. Not really a big deal for me.The interior is extremely quiet with that glass.

4) I went back and forth on the trim and settled on the walnut. It does look classy.

5) In my opinion, the rear wheel steering is a must. The car drives like it is half it’s size and maneuvering into parking spaces is simple, especially with the surround cameras. It also helps the car through the twisties, you never feel the bulk of a 5,000 # car.

6) Went for the side shades - we travel with our two Aussies and they really appreciate the shade! I did not get the rear sunshade, didn’t really feel that i needed it.

7) I have the retractable cover and it is almost always covering the rear storage area. I like that it is flexible and slides totally out of the way when I do carry something that sticks up.

8) I have night vision and love it. I’m getting into the time of life when my night vision isn’t as good as it used to be (68 yrs old) and it has already saved me twice from potential deer hits. When we get back to Florida for the winter, I suspect it will be extremely helpful dodging the errant tourists who have no problem stepping onto the road at any moment.

9) Good choice on Assistance and Premium packages.

10) I also went for PDLS+ - it actually adds an extra element to the night vision assist, flashing the pedestrian/deer in red on the screen helping to bring attention to the danger.

11) I also struggled with the 18 way vs 14 way seats and settled on the 14 way. I sat in both, and the 18 way are just that little bit stiffer and confining. My wife also tried them both and much preferred the 14 way for comfort. I also got the ventilated seats, but not the massaging ones. We are fortunate to live in endless summer (8mths Florida, 4mths Michigan) and we use the ventilation all the time. I haven’t tried the massaging seats, but have heard that they are pretty cool. My daughter-in-law has them on her car and she swears by them. Might be my only regret.

Whatever you decide, you are going to have an awesome vehicle that is comfortable but amazingly sporty when you want it to be. You’ll love it!

orca15 (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:27 PM
orca15
Pro

rikshe - Great info and thanks for taking the time. One follow up on #7 - the reason I don't think I would use the rear cover (other than I never do on my Jeep) is that it seems like it would look kind of funky on an otherwise beautiful car. Not that the cardboard is going to win any design awards, but at least it looks like part of the car rather than a blanket on top of your stuff. Am I wrong or do you just live with the look?

Surprised (and excited!) that your car flashes the deer with the PDLS+ - I thought all the fancy matrix stuff was deactivated. Sounds like I need that! I counted 43 deer on my last early morning trip to Richmond Airport along a back road.

Last edited by orca15; 08-05-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:19 PM
orca15
Pro

Originally Posted by riksche
Whatever you decide, you are going to have an awesome vehicle that is comfortable but amazingly sporty when you want it to be. You’ll love it!
This is exactly what I am looking for. I had a love/hate relationship with my (daily driver) 911's, as they were so much fun and yet such a PITA to drive when you just needed to get somewhere. So beautiful yet bumpy and noisy...and even after they started putting in air conditioning, definitely not the world's most comfortable car. I kept going from 911 to luxury sedan until the itch needed scratching, then back to the 911. I am fully expecting the perfect blend here, as you say. Can't wait. Fortunately I got what appears to be the last allocation in calendar year 2021 (MY22) in the area, unfortunately, it's still looks like a March delivery in Stuttgart, if that can even happen. It was an ordeal just getting someone to take an order. Not the best year for buying a car!
Old 08-09-2021, 06:05 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

orca15 - a couple of comments on your configuration issues based on our experience with a 2018 4e-hybrid:
2. on-board charger - I think the usefulness of faster charging depends on how you charge and drive; if you need to charge during the day when you're in a rush, then faster is better; if you're like us, we usually charge once per night or early morning and not again until the next night, so there is plenty of time and speed of charging is rarely an issue. In any case, there's the gasoline engine for back-up. But if you drive a lot from one charge location to another, then speed might help.
3. thermal glass - we have this and have never noticed any issues with cell service, although we live in an area where service is generally good.
5. rear wheel steering - we have this and appreciate it, especially maneuvering and parking in crowded city areas.
6. shades - we got both sides and rear; the side shades are great in the summer, but we rarely use the rear one; the rear one does not shade the luggage area but only the seating area; the touch-screen control for the rear shade annoys my wife because she (and I) forget where to find it.
7. luggage cover - I'm puzzled about your comments; we got the retractable cover and it is in use virtually all the time to conceal the luggage area; it is the same color as car interior and (in my view) reasonably attractive in appearance, not cheap looking; the retractable cover and the rear sunshade are in separate bars and are separately removable.
11 & 14. seats - we got 14-way with massage and they are great -- no regrets at all there.
We have really enjoyed our Panamera. It's a luxury car, a sports car and an economy car all rolled into one beautiful package. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Last edited by louver; 08-10-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: CORRECTION: the retractable cover and the rear shade are housed in a single bar, not two as I originally posted.
orca15 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 11:44 AM
orca15
Pro

louver - thanks so much for the input. It was really helpful. I will likely only charge the car the way you describe, so you are right, the 7.2kW onboard charger is probably overkill. It's just such an integral part of the car, though...something to think about. Sort of like paying $800 to remove a 120mph limiter even though you know you will probably never drive that fast.

Also, great to know that the luggage cover isn't as bad looking. as I imagined. I'm probably overthinking it, if that is possible on a car purchase that's more $$ than my first AND second houses

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread