Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 03:25 PM
simaservis1108
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KW411
One of my Korean friends is relocating back to South Korea for good and is thinking to take his Panamera e-hybrid with him. From what we read in the Porsche Korea website, Porsche will not support Porsche connect for self-imported vehicle, which is not a big problem. Also, as Porsche Innodrive is not currently offered in Korea, we assume that it also probably not working there or not legally allow by the government, which also not a big deal. But the most important thing is how to get the navigation to work there? We checked and the Canadian spec Porsche only preloaded with Canada/US maps. So we are not sure if he can load the Korean map there or whether the Porsche dealer can/will do it??

Anyone has the experiences with the European delivery program? How do navigation/maps work in various continents?

Any other potential issues that he needs to aware of when sending/using a Canadian spec Porsche in Asia?

Not that they can't support,but they don't know how.
I can do it remotely for your friend if he has PCM4.1
And also activate all functions like Navi,Carplay,Android Auto and maps for 2021.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:20 PM
PT6
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to have E-hybrid owners opinions. I am about to order 21 4 E-hybrid 18KW battery and wondering if I have to wait until 2023. Media reports 60mile battery (2 times of current capacity)will be available on 3rd generation Panamera 4 E-hybrid from 2023.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:45 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PT6
I like to have E-hybrid owners opinions. I am about to order 21 4 E-hybrid 18KW battery and wondering if I have to wait until 2023. Media reports 60mile battery (2 times of current capacity)will be available on 3rd generation Panamera 4 E-hybrid from 2023.
Please cite your source for that information. That would be a perfect e-hybrid, if true, and I would wait til then also, if true -- whether Panamera or Cayenne E-Hybrid...
As it is, the new 18-kWh battery is way better than the older 14-kWh pack in my 2018 Panamera 4 E-H. And, of course, the original e-hybrid 10.8-kWh pack was a joke.
We just bought a RAV4 Prime (my wife's daily driver), which also has an 18-kWh pack, but for some reason, Toyota can get 30-40% more range out of the same amount of kWh (we can get 40-50 miles of all-electric range in the Prime).
I wish that Porsche would also make a Macan E-hybrid, but that idea supposedly has been killed off...

Last edited by cometguy; 02-04-2021 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
riksche (04-13-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:12 PM
PT6
Advanced

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-future-...QNyHJRbPvStahA
Old 02-04-2021, 08:27 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Not much in that short article to justify the information.
I found a better article here: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...er-verbrenner/
Here's part of that text:
"The Panamera III will not be an electric car

Porsche, on the other hand, is sticking to the second generation drive concept. In other words: a combustion engine series with hybrid variants. Their purely electric range could grow, but probably not to three-digit kilometers. ... That could be the task for the development of the PHEV of the third Panamera generation: To raise the circuit performance to the level of the pure combustion engine. The battery cells must have significantly more capacity with the same or lower weight. Then the boost of the electric motor can help over the entire lap of the Nordschleife. At the same time, the electric range could increase and the kilometers driven electrically in everyday life. This could also help in markets with a high electrical affinity. ...

The fact that the third-generation Panamera will continue to be on a combustion engine platform inevitably calls for great efforts in the development of plug-in hybrid technology. Because without electrification, the Panamera will no longer be able to survive in all markets in the future. On the other hand, PHEVs are only considered a bridging technology.

And a combustion platform for the Panamera also means that there will be other series of similar sizes in the group that are not purely electric cars. Because the number of units of just the Panamera doesn't justify the effort. Because the VW group strategy aims to build as many units as possible with one platform."

... but I'd sure like to see something more definitively directly from Porsche... But it stands to reason that they will pack more kWh into the next e-Hybrid upgrade in 2-3 years.
Jumping from 18 kWh to 36 kWh would be fabulous, but I'm skeptical that they'll be able to find the space to put the extra batteries, unless the technology improves such that they don't need any more space (as was the case apparently going from 10.8 to 14 kWh in 2018, and thence to 18 kWh this year). It wouldn't make fiscal sense for Porsche to announce a 36-kWh battery pack for 2023 now (presumably MY2024), because that would chop off e-hybrid sales at the knees for 2021-2023... That said, Oliver Blume did say in an Australia interview ca. Jan. 2019 that Porsche would be increasing their PHEV battery packs by about a third within a couple years, and it was formally announced last year that the e-hybrids would go from 14 to 18 kWh.

Last edited by cometguy; 02-04-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:06 AM
fpjl
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie questions 2018 e hybrid panamera

New to me 2018 e hybrid. Awesome car. Couple stupid questions.
1) My visors don't rotate to the side to cover the side window? Is that how the car was designed? Operator error?
2) How is the pre heat/ cool setting determined? Last temp in car? 72?
3) My car connect app communicates with the hybrid part of the showing charge etc but the apps function doesn't seem to work at all. I know the google maps function isn't going to work but nothing else seems to work as well. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:18 PM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PT6
We’ve come to time where technology/battery advancements are accelerating to the point where manufacturers could theoretically upgrade minor/major components annually, and in some way they already do. We have the 2020 cayenne e-hybrid (I don’t usually by first year of a release so most bugs can get worked out). In the second year (3rd if you include 2018 MY sold in Europe) the pcm was upgraded to include wireless Apple car play. This is a relatively minor year to year upgrade but in others Porsche has made more significant same cycle changes like the entire pcm in the 2017 Macan halfway through the 2016 model year. I compare cars to cell phones these days. Each year a new model is released. You could forever be waiting to buy because some new feature, engine, battery, color, wheels, tech, ultra matrix headlights ect ect ect is just around the corner with the next MY. As soon as the 2021’s hit showrooms with their 18kwh batteries, the facelift (already rumored) will be announced and if will have more HP, bigger battery, better suspension... Buy what fits your needs now and in 2-3 years if you simply must have the latest and greatest then trade up. Battery density will continue to improve and cost will continue to go down, you can pretty much expect a bump in capacity every couple years.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:47 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pcar991, That was very well stated and makes so much sense. I guess the bottom line is what is your tolerance to waiting and for what level of tech. It is a dilemma that I struggle with everyday. Right now, I am looking to purchase a used 911Turbo S. I love the 992 upgrades, but is it worth waiting for a decent value on a used 992 or should I jump in to a great valued 991? I realize this has nothing to do with battery capacity, but it is the technology in general that comes into question. I currently am driving a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. I love the car and got very used to the technology and PCM in this generation. This same PCM is only available in the 992. This is the main reason I struggle with the wait game or buy now. I am sure most Porsche buyers have struggled with this many times. It is a great topic and I truly believe that no matter what you decide, you will be happy with your P car. Best of luck PT6. Let us know what your end up with.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:24 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My late 2017 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid needs a new 12v service battery. In the current cold weather in the UK (-10ēC), I keep having to plug in my CTEK charger in the morning for a minute or so to raise the voltage enough for the ECU's to say "good morning". Does anyone know the correct Varta battery part number for this. When I do a search by car registration number, it shows a Varta Start-Stop Silver Dynamic AGM 595 901 085 G14 12Volt 95Ah but the dimensions of this seem to be greater than the current battery, albeit it is quite difficult to measure, buried in the rear wing and with a wind chill of around -20ē at the moment.

Wilson
Old 02-12-2021, 07:00 AM
PT6
Advanced

Thank you cometguy, Pcar991, and Pana Tj for your comments and advices. I found all we have agony on battery advancement when purchasing P cars. We know that solid state battery with close to twice capacity than lithium ion will be available soon. Media reports 3rd generation Panamera e-Hybrid will be available in 2023 with 60 mile battery capacity, The speed of battery technology advancement is quite steep than ICE engine and improved battery capacity makes car very different.

I decided to place an order for Panamera e-Hybrid and I am sure that I will keep it less than 3 years, It is a painful decision and unavoidable sin of car consumer living technology transition era.

Last edited by PT6; 02-12-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:02 PM
griffith_500
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Noticed something strange during the last few days when the temperatue was well below 0° Celsius. Normally when you start the ICE it idles without engaging the drivetrain for the first minute or so during driving. However with these cold temperatures it goes into gear immediately. Has anybody else experienced the same or could it be a "real" problem?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:30 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by griffith_500
Noticed something strange during the last few days when the temperatue was well below 0° Celsius. Normally when you start the ICE it idles without engaging the drivetrain for the first minute or so during driving. However with these cold temperatures it goes into gear immediately. Has anybody else experienced the same or could it be a "real" problem?
I have noticed this since I got my hybrid in 2017. I think it is to reduce the load/current on a cold battery and allow it to warm gently. In other words even if you immediately go into sport mode, where the ICE starts right away, above 0ēC, the car will still pull away from a stop on electric power with the ICE being engaged only when you depress the accelerator more. As you say, below 0ēC, the ICE engages immediately either in E, H or S mode. I would imagine the liquid cooling for the battery will work in reverse, where ICE heat is used to warm the battery via the coolant circulation system.

Wilson
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
Gilmo (06-22-2021), MKC91 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 04:40 AM
griffith_500
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I have noticed this since I got my hybrid in 2017. I think it is to reduce the load/current on a cold battery and allow it to warm gently. In other words even if you immediately go into sport mode, where the ICE starts right away, above 0ēC, the car will still pull away from a stop on electric power with the ICE being engaged only when you depress the accelerator more. As you say, below 0ēC, the ICE engages immediately either in E, H or S mode. I would imagine the liquid cooling for the battery will work in reverse, where ICE heat is used to warm the battery via the coolant circulation system.

Wilson
Thanks Wilson, good to know that it‘s nothing unusual!
Old 02-15-2021, 01:38 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
In other words even if you immediately go into sport mode, where the ICE starts right away, above 0ēC, the car will still pull away from a stop on electric power with the ICE being engaged only when you depress the accelerator more.

Wilson
From what I've seen in mine this happens in Hybrid mode but not on Sport or Sport+ mode, where the ICE runs even at idle at all times.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:05 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by Franz993
From what I've seen in mine this happens in Hybrid mode but not on Sport or Sport+ mode, where the ICE runs even at idle at all times.
I go down regularly to the nearest large supermarket from my house in the small village of Tourtour in the Var mountains in Provence, it is all downhill (dropping around 1800 feet) from the house to the hypermarket in the nearest town of any size. Typically on electric mode, I will only use 1 or 2km of range on the way down the steep and twisty mountain road, with multiple hairpin bends, which is sometimes used for a round of the European Hill Climb championship. The distance is 13km. On leaving the hypermarket, I usually switch to sport mode for the nice drive on the way back up. Even as I leave the supermarket in the summer in sport mode, the car will still pull away initially in electric and it is not until I depress the accelerator that you can hear (and see on the rev counter) the running ICE engage with the gearbox. After the first time, the ICE stays engaged with the gearbox, other than when you come to a complete halt.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 02-16-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread