Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 06:50 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It was -4ºC overnight Sunday/Monday in the south of the UK. My Panamera is set to start charging at midnight to get the benefit of cheap rate electricity and it probably only had to do a 50% charge from use on Sunday, so would have been finished by 2AM, when temperature would have been close to its lowest. My indicated range on Monday late morning was only 17 miles. However the weather warmed up quite quickly yesterday and after driving around 4 miles to and from our local small village supermarket and back, the range had only gone down to 15 miles.

Wilson
Old 12-01-2021, 06:31 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi all
Unfortunately we have no garage at home, and now the weather has started to get worse. Is the included Porsche charger weather proof? This is the one

James
Old 12-02-2021, 04:47 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Yes totally waterproof. However it is not lightning proof. A friend with a Hybrid Cayenne in France near where I have a house, had his charger die during a storm. We get a lot of violent thunderstorms in the south of France, so I am careful not to leave the charger connected either to the car or to the electric supply when there is a possibility of thunder and lightning. I have an app on my iPad that warns of approaching storms. Just before I left to come back to the UK in October this year, I had a very nearby lightning strike at my house. This has killed the television, the fridge/freezer, the satellite receiver, an M1 Mac Mini computer, the internet modem/router and all the wifi repeaters. This is in spite of having elaborate anti lightning/anti surge protection at the house.

Wilson
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
jamesbilluk (12-02-2021), MKC91 (12-06-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 05:23 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
Yes totally waterproof. However it is not lightning proof. A friend with a Hybrid Cayenne in France near where I have a house, had his charger die during a storm. We get a lot of violent thunderstorms in the south of France, so I am careful not to leave the charger connected either to the car or to the electric supply when there is a possibility of thunder and lightning. I have an app on my iPad that warns of approaching storms. Just before I left to come back to the UK in October this year, I had a very nearby lightning strike at my house. This has killed the television, the fridge/freezer, the satellite receiver, an M1 Mac Mini computer, the internet modem/router and all the wifi repeaters. This is in spite of having elaborate anti lightning/anti surge protection at the house.

Wilson
Thank you Wilson. Good to know its waterproof.

Will definately make sure to un plug it, and take it in during a storm though.

That was very lucky that you un plugged the charger during that storm!
Old 12-02-2021, 01:05 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Quite pleased with this range, the car said 21 miles range. Heated steering wheel, and seats on, but the HVAC off.

And it was 4 degrees C,

This is what it did-

The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 01:48 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I have obviously got yet another set of fake batteries from Amazon. Unfortunately, in their stock bins, they don't separate items they have sourced themselves, which I am sure would be OK from those supplied by third party sellers, which for batteries, often seem to be far eastern origin fakes. This time it was the CR2032 batteries (bought as 2 x twin pack) for the Panamera key fob. I put a new one in just over a month ago and yesterday, I had to get the key out of my man-bag and hold it up to the window, before it was recognised by the unlocking system. The battery voltage was at 2.92V, which means it is on the way out. I had another "Energizer" battery still in the twin pack I bought it in and I tested the new and unused battery. It was only 3.16V, against a new Duracell one at 3.31V, so obviously not genuine. I have bought a 10 pack of CR2032 from the Panasonic store, which I can be 99%+ sure will be genuine and they are a lot cheaper than Duracell.

This will be the third lot of fake batteries from Mr. Bezos, so not amused. I bought a 10 pack of "Duracell" CR123A batteries, as I use these in a number of my film Leica cameras, with motor drives on which the rechargeable RCR123A lithium batteries must not be used as they over drive the small motor which advances the film. After 4 of them had failed in short order, I sent the rest to Duracell to investigate and they confirmed they were fakes. They very kindly replaced with correct ones and said they were going to have a very serious discussion with Amazon, as this was by far from the first occasion this had happened.

I bought a box of 9V clip on "Energizer" 6LR61 batteries from Amazon France for the various fire and motion detectors on the fire/burglary alarm at my French house. The central control system luckily detects low batteries but less usefully, does not say which one it is, so you have to go round all 10 sensors (3 fire/7 motion detection) and press their test button to see where the low battery is. The batteries should last around 2 years. This lot of 9V batteries only lasted 2 to 3 months each. I sent the unused ones in the box back to Amazon for a refund, as they must have been cheap zinc carbon fakes.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 12-07-2021 at 05:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2021, 01:30 PM
doublebmw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Hybrid HVAC

Does anyone know if the cabin heating system relies solely on the heat pump, or can it also utilize engine coolant for heating? Heat pump performance at low temperatures is the concern.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:00 AM
jrcrmr
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So I feel I just made a huge mistake buying this car... Especially after the few comments here: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-look-for.html

I am buying a cpo 2019 4 e-hybrid. Did I make a mistake? Does anyone with relative high mileage on a 971 chime in with how its going? Or should I just not go pick up the car on Monday?

Thanks..
Old 03-04-2022, 09:19 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrcrmr
So I feel I just made a huge mistake buying this car... Especially after the few comments here: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-look-for.html

I am buying a cpo 2019 4 e-hybrid. Did I make a mistake? Does anyone with relative high mileage on a 971 chime in with how its going? Or should I just not go pick up the car on Monday?

Thanks..
I hava a 2017, 4 E hybrid, I'm thrilled with it. its got 69000 miles, but had it about 5 months. The car still seems like new, the battery still gets about 22- 25 miles on a charge at the moment, which isn't too bad. From what I've read in the service history, it's still on the original High voltage battery.

Last edited by jamesbilluk; 03-04-2022 at 09:22 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jamesbilluk:
jrcrmr (03-04-2022), misterzero (03-04-2022), MKC91 (03-04-2022), SS22 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 04:00 PM
Pedro202
5th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked up a 2018 4 E-Hybrid this week and in love with this already. Getting about 20-22 miles off electric range from the battery on our cold UK mornings at the moment which seems pretty good. Have noticed a squeal from the car on hard shifts between 3rd and 4th intermittently. dealer gonna look at it next week. Anyone else encountered this?

Last edited by Pedro202; 03-04-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:47 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
The 4S E-Hybrid, which debuted in 2021, indeed has the new 17.9kw battery. Porsche says it should deliver 34 miles of battery-only range (which may obviously be less depending on extreme weather and driving method).
Yes, I'm looking at getting an E-Hybrid with the larger battery pack, but I haven't been able to get much information on the range of the 17.9-kWh pack in Panamera (though there is some information on the 17.9-kWh pack in the Cayenne E-Hybrid, which seems to get around 30 miles of all-electric range, a definite improvement from my 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid). For me, the problem is that Oliver Blume stated at the March 2021 annual press conference that all E-Hybrids will have their battery packs upgraded to 80 km of E-Power range, which implies a battery size of perhaps 25 kWh. Queries to both Porsche/Stuttgart and Porsche/Atlanta (Porsche/Stuttgart referred me to Porsche/Atlanta, which is not what I wanted, of course) have yielded no help as far as when Porsche may be issuing E-Hybrids with the larger packs -- but it matters a lot to me, as somebody wanting to buy an improved-range E-Hybrid in the next year or so; I would be ticked off if I buy a 17.9-kWh E-Hybrid only to see 25-kWh E-Hybrids coming out several months later... (I suppose that any ordering of an E-Hybrid now could mean a very long delay, with Porsche plants closing due to supplies cutoff from Ukrainian factories -- as if the chip shortage hadn't made things bad enough.)

Last edited by cometguy; 03-04-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:00 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Yes, I'm looking at getting an E-Hybrid with the larger battery pack, but I haven't been able to get much information on the range of the 17.9-kWh pack in Panamera (though there is some information on the 17.9-kWh pack in the Cayenne E-Hybrid, which seems to get around 30 miles of all-electric range, a definite improvement from my 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid). For me, the problem is that Oliver Blume stated at the March 2021 annual press conference that all E-Hybrids will have their battery packs upgraded to 80 km of E-Power range, which implies a battery size of perhaps 25 kWh. Queries to both Porsche/Stuttgart and Porsche/Atlanta (Porsche/Stuttgart referred me to Porsche/Atlanta, which is not what I wanted, of course) have yielded no help as far as when Porsche may be issuing E-Hybrids with the larger packs -- but it matters a lot to me, as somebody wanting to buy an improved-range E-Hybrid in the next year or so; I would be ticked off if I buy a 17.9-kWh E-Hybrid only to see 25-kWh E-Hybrids coming out several months later... (I suppose that any ordering of an E-Hybrid now could mean a very long delay, with Porsche plants closing due to supplies cutoff from Ukrainian factories -- as if the chip shortage hadn't made things bad enough.)
My 2022 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid with the 17.9kw pack has given about 30 miles of range since I got it in December. That figure is based on driving in weather ranging 50-60° (F) on a pretty mixed driving condition (downhill, uphill, city streets and freeway, including a bit of traffic on the freeway). Porsche advertises 34 miles. I suspect when the weather gets a bit warmer, I should get a bit more range.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:45 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
My 2022 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid with the 17.9kw pack has given about 30 miles of range since I got it in December. That figure is based on driving in weather ranging 50-60° (F) on a pretty mixed driving condition (downhill, uphill, city streets and freeway, including a bit of traffic on the freeway). Porsche advertises 34 miles. I suspect when the weather gets a bit warmer, I should get a bit more range.
Is that computer-estimated range of 30 miles (i.e., what appears on your car's screen), or actual measured 30 miles of electric-only driving?
I'm asking because I have often found a huge difference in my Pan4 E-Hybrid from what's "predicted" and what I actually get (the former being overly optimistic by generally 25-35%)...
Thanks...

Last edited by cometguy; 03-04-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:57 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Is that computer-estimated range of 30 miles (i.e., what appears on your car's screen), or actual measured 30 miles of electric-only driving?
I'm asking because I have often found a huge difference in my Pan4 E-Hybrid from what's "predicted" and what I actually get (the former being overly optimistic by generally 25-35%)...
Thanks...
That’s actual mileage from days when I’ve driven to my office in the morning (15 miles, downhill road, city streets, freeway with some traffic) and then driving back from my office to home (15 miles, freeway with no traffic, city streets, and uphill road). I’ve done that a few times (mostly working from home office these days) and I feel it’s the most accurate measurement since I can compare it with what the car’s estimated e-range shows—I’ve seen as low as 33 on a full charge to as much as 37. On the days I’ve done this commute and tried to do it both ways in full electric, I was able to complete the trip in full electric once and then a handful of times, about a mile left to my house, even though the car showed a range of 2 miles left, it switched to e-hybrid and said E-Power not available.

Keep in mind the way Porsche has designed these e-hybrids… once the battery has 15% of charge left, the E-Power will no longer be available in order to preserve some electric power in case you wanna drive with the maximum horsepower/torque and need both the gas engine and the electric motor. Then, if you deplete even that in hybrid or sport modes, the batter will only go down to 5%. It will always maintain at least 5% of charge for the battery’s health. On that note, it will also not truly charge more than 95% even though the car will show a “100%” charge. Porsche has built in 5% buffers at the maximum and minimum for the health of the batter.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:08 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I know batteries have improved their energy density since my 4 e-Hybrid was made in 2017. However, I doubt they have improved enough to allow for a 25kWH battery with no increase in battery weight/size from the 14.2kWH in my 4 e-Hybrid. I would not want any more weight behind the rear axle than on my Panamera, where on tight corners, like on the road up to mountain village where my French house is, I am already very conscious of that weight back there. Unfortunately my pre-specced car did not have the 4 wheel steering, that I had specified on my WLTP delayed and therefore cancelled order car. I drove a 4 e-Hybrid sport turismo with the 4 wheel steering and the weight behind the rear axle was less noticeable but still present. For a low mileage user like me, particularly over the winter, when I am back in the UK, the e-Hybrid is near perfect. I can do a lot of my local journeys on pure battery and I only have to refuel every two months or so. More electric range would be desirable but not if it further impacts on the handling, where the very considerable weight of the 2.25 ton Panamera is already quite apparent.

Wilson
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
Ingie103 (03-06-2022), MKC91 (03-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread