Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 02:58 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Does anyone know if the CTEK MXS 5.0 smart charger (also sold with Porsche logo at a modest mark up), is sufficient to maintain system voltage while changing the 12V AGM service battery? I would connect it to the jumper points in the engine compartment with the crocodile clips.

Wilson
Old 04-03-2022, 04:23 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

@Wilson Laidlaw The CTEK MXS 5 charger does not have a "Supply" mode so I don't think it will provide the 12v supply you will need once the battery is disconnected. The CTEK 7002 does have a Supply mode and can support the normal low drain of the car with the ignition and accessories off and battery disconnected although I haven't tried it. I am going purely from the specifications from the CTEK user manuals. If you have a local Ham radio operator nearby, they will have a 12v power supply they are likely to provide just out of the hobbyist "play with stuff orientation" of amateur radio.
The following users liked this post:
Wilson Laidlaw (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 08:05 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by H2Owon
@Wilson Laidlaw The CTEK MXS 5 charger does not have a "Supply" mode so I don't think it will provide the 12v supply you will need once the battery is disconnected. The CTEK 7002 does have a Supply mode and can support the normal low drain of the car with the ignition and accessories off and battery disconnected although I haven't tried it. I am going purely from the specifications from the CTEK user manuals. If you have a local Ham radio operator nearby, they will have a 12v power supply they are likely to provide just out of the hobbyist "play with stuff orientation" of amateur radio.
I do have another non-digitally controlled heavy duty charger/booster/starter device and that certainly outputs 15V all the time at up to 20A. That would probably be a better bet than the CTEK. The other option would be to buy the battery from a battery organisation that will change the battery for me and plug in a temporary 12V PSU, while they are doing it. In any case, as an elderly arthritic, I did not much fancy trying to lug that very heavy battery out of its position in the rear wing and then wiggle the new battery back in afterwards. Someone else commentated that they thought that a new battery needs to be recoded to the car, with a diagnostic computer plugged into the OBD2 port.

Wilson
Old 04-05-2022, 06:41 PM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I worry about stale gasoline on my Panamera ehybrid? I mostly drive very short distance and I only usually hit the gas station two or three times a year!! And would I need gasoline stabilizer if I have to store the car and not driving for an extensive period of time (2-3 months)?
Old 04-05-2022, 06:50 PM
16PanaHybrid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KW411
Should I worry about stale gasoline on my Panamera ehybrid? I mostly drive very short distance and I only usually hit the gas station two or three times a year!! And would I need gasoline stabilizer if I have to store the car and not driving for an extensive period of time (2-3 months)?
Short answer: No
KW411 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 08:51 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

I would try to find non-Ethanol gas next fill-up. Less oxidation than E10. E10 gas is really only good for 3 months. Non-ethanol is probably 2x that.
KW411 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:27 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

I would seriously consider only putting in a half tank at a time. I agree that ethanol gas (if that is what you are using) should not sit around in an expensive car for more than a couple of months.
KW411 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:21 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15
I would seriously consider only putting in a half tank at a time. I agree that ethanol gas (if that is what you are using) should not sit around in an expensive car for more than a couple of months.
So far, I’ve filled up about every 1.5 months (with a mix of 91 top-tier gas and 101 racing fuel so I end up with 93). Agreed with you that having the gas longer than a couple months would be worrisome.

Last edited by SS22; 04-06-2022 at 08:08 PM.
KW411 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:44 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

At least in the UK, premium gasoline is not yet E10 but just E5 but I suspect it will only be a matter of time. Older cars such as my 1977 911 RSR will not like E10 at all, if premium goes that way and our elderly Gasoline John Deere tractor does not even like E5. I buy ethanol free gasoline called Aspen 4 for that in 25L drums, from our local agricultural supplier. I will also use this on our 10 year old Honda mower and in our 20 year old Techumseh emergency generator. In my 911, as it will sit mostly unused while I am in France for the summer, I add Sta-Bil fuel preservative and in my three wheel Morgan that live in France, I add it for the winter for when it is in storage.

Wilson
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
KW411 (04-06-2022), MKC91 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 08:04 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Transitional Braking / Battery Life growing?

Originally Posted by SS22
I second this with my 2022. I had read about this issue in reviews of the older 971 Panameras but since driving my 2022, I hardly notice any issues so I think they’ve resolved it.
I concur. I have only put 2600 miles on my 2022, and have observed no "strange" behavior when braking. I took it out for a long mountain run last weekend that included some hard braking, and was unable to sense when it transitioned from regenerative to mechanical braking.

I now have 3300 miles on the Panamera. Yesterday I ran the high voltage battery down enough that the engine self-started while I was showing a neighbor some features of the car. I charged it overnight, and the range reported this morning was 42mi. This is the highest range I have observed after a full charge. Typically, I have been seeing 32-35mi after charging. We are having slightly warmer weather here (50F), but I was still surprised that the range has increased by 30%.

Last edited by jbkanas; 04-19-2022 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Expansion of topic
The following 2 users liked this post by jbkanas:
orca15 (04-15-2022), SS22 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 04:48 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi all,

​​​​I have a 2017 4 E hybrid, still thrilled with the car, Ive been thinking about getting it tuned recently though, maybe bringing it up to the same power as the 4S E hybrid. I've wondered how the engine remap would work with the electric hybrid drive though. Has anyone had this done? I've found a company in the UK (DMS automotive) who have a good reputation here, they say they can take the car to 620hp, and 820nm or torque which seems rather high. Is it the same PDK box as the Turbo Hybrid? Otherwise it looks like a tuning box like 'Racechip' which I'm not sure about

James
Old 04-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesbilluk
Hi all,

​​​​I have a 2017 4 E hybrid, still thrilled with the car, Ive been thinking about getting it tuned recently though, maybe bringing it up to the same power as the 4S E hybrid. I've wondered how the engine remap would work with the electric hybrid drive though. Has anyone had this done? I've found a company in the UK (DMS automotive) who have a good reputation here, they say they can take the car to 620hp, and 820nm or torque which seems rather high. Is it the same PDK box as the Turbo Hybrid? Otherwise it looks like a tuning box like 'Racechip' which I'm not sure about

James

i looked at both, ecu tune is the best ofcourse, but a lot of shop are charging 1500-2k, if you get the racechip, it work too but it won't be the best, it help with the increase of +100 hp, but ya it is a piggy back, with that, you need to get the DTE pedal box if you want to have the best to match up, which you will end up spending around 1000-1300, but even then you can pull it out and sell it when you are done with the car, if you sell the car with the ecu it goes with the car
jamesbilluk (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 06:28 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Andy Liu
i looked at both, ecu tune is the best ofcourse, but a lot of shop are charging 1500-2k, if you get the racechip, it work too but it won't be the best, it help with the increase of +100 hp, but ya it is a piggy back, with that, you need to get the DTE pedal box if you want to have the best to match up, which you will end up spending around 1000-1300, but even then you can pull it out and sell it when you are done with the car, if you sell the car with the ecu it goes with the car
​​​​​​Ecu tune would be good, this company do a rolling road as well, they say 620hp, it does seem quite high, I would worry about the PDK box. The dyno could be over reading though. They're £1200 at the moment, but usually £1600. There doesn't seem to be many companies that offer it here,

Thats a good point about being able to re sell the Race chip. I didn't think of the peddlebox though.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:46 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I have had very good experience with DMS in the past on my 996 and 997 Turbo S cars. I did over 60,000 miles on my 997 (wonderful car) and no problems at all with the engine other than corroding bolts on the turbo and exhaust manifolds. As a past customer they offered me a very good deal on my Panamera 4 E-Hybrid but with the now strict enforcement of speed limits with cameras in the UK and France plus heavy penalties for using a radar/laser detector and my age of over 75, I decided the Panamera was quick enough as it was. There is now zero leeway/overage allowance on speeds on many of the French speed cameras. I got done for 92kph in a 90kph zone on the Lyon bypass last year. The limit on normal French single carriageway roads is now just 80kph or 50MPH. Same on many roads in the UK. Only a matter of time until they bring back the man with the red flag.

Wilson
jamesbilluk (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 06:40 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I have had very good experience with DMS in the past on my 996 and 997 Turbo S cars. I did over 60,000 miles on my 997 (wonderful car) and no problems at all with the engine other than corroding bolts on the turbo and exhaust manifolds. As a past customer they offered me a very good deal on my Panamera 4 E-Hybrid but with the now strict enforcement of speed limits with cameras in the UK and France plus heavy penalties for using a radar/laser detector and my age of over 75, I decided the Panamera was quick enough as it was. There is now zero leeway/overage allowance on speeds on many of the French speed cameras. I got done for 92kph in a 90kph zone on the Lyon bypass last year. The limit on normal French single carriageway roads is now just 80kph or 50MPH. Same on many roads in the UK. Only a matter of time until they bring back the man with the red flag.

Wilson
Thank you for the reply Wilson. That's great to know regarding DMS, they certainly seemed to know their stuff with the email exchange I've been having. I bet the 996 and 997 produced good figures after the mapping!

Thats a very good point, it's getting to be similar here, I did wonder yesterday why I was thinking of doing it, as it is still a very quick car. I'm someone who can't seem to leave things alone.

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread