Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 07:00 PM
GT4Kevin
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm stuck at this part, mine looks way different than OPs, I seem to have more going on in mine. Any help would be great
Old 03-18-2022, 07:44 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Kevin

I'm stuck at this part, mine looks way different than OPs, I seem to have more going on in mine. Any help would be great
You can look at the PCB they sent you. It should say on it which hardware version it is in the silkscreen.

I have the same setup as you and I ended up removing the green shroud off the sirius XM module connector which won me about 2-3mm of space and allowed the board to clear with the two stacked spacers. I also wrapped some electrical tape over the (now bare) connector, just in case the board rubs a bit to keep it from wearing through the solder mask on the PCB and causing shorts.

Note: earlier they were shipping the wrong size spacers, so if you bought this a while ago like you said, you may need to email them to ask for the taller spacers.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:46 PM
GT4Kevin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danby
You can look at the PCB they sent you. It should say on it which hardware version it is in the silkscreen.

I have the same setup as you and I ended up removing the green shroud off the sirius XM module connector which won me about 2-3mm of space and allowed the board to clear with the two stacked spacers. I also wrapped some electrical tape over the (now bare) connector, just in case the board rubs a bit to keep it from wearing through the solder mask on the PCB and causing shorts.

Note: earlier they were shipping the wrong size spacers, so if you bought this a while ago like you said, you may need to email them to ask for the taller spacers.
What if I just don't install the XM card and leave it disconnected?
Old 03-18-2022, 07:58 PM
danby
Instructor

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I think I remember reading that it will cause issues beyond just the satellite radio not working.
The following users liked this post:
TWalk (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 04:07 PM
GT4Kevin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danby
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I think I remember reading that it will cause issues beyond just the satellite radio not working.
Okay so got the spacers and plugged everything in now I have other issues

The post calls out an optic cable but mine doesn't have one to unplug, so when I plug it all on the radio comes on but the screen is black and none of the controls including volume work. Would that be tied to loose ribbon cables? I'm starting to lose my sanity here and I am dreading opening this thing back up

Thank you
Old 03-19-2022, 06:36 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure what car you have…..but if you had no optical cables…..you most lokely did not have Bose head unit, no biggie,
Black screen is almost always poorly seated ribbon….check them all .

Old 03-19-2022, 06:46 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

I've decided to sell my Isudar unit...

I attempted to install it myself, but failed in the process. My head unit has Bose, XM modules, backup camera and mic installed from the factory, yet none of the videos provided any details on that + no instructions or videos on where to connect all the remaining wires on the car side of the harness, so it wasn't exactly plug n play for me....

When I gave up and took it to my local installer, they didn't want to mess with Isudar... (but of course) they recommended their own version of Apple Carplay. 🙄

I thought I'd let you guys know about it before officially posting it up in the Classifieds.

PM me if interested

Last edited by Gixxerboy63; 03-19-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:34 PM
danby
Instructor

Yeah the instructions are certainly not great. I had to piece it all together from several sources which is kind of annoying, but it's $350 vs the $1500+ most shops charge to install their own solution.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:20 PM
GT4Kevin
Rennlist Member

Alright so got this bad boy installed properly, what a mess.

The OP's post is great help but still had to use about 3 Youtube videos, the horrible instructions provided, and OPs post to get it all done.

What software updates are available for mine (and where to download) and are there any tips I should be aware of?
Old 03-21-2022, 01:33 AM
LogicoZone
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Kevin
Okay so got the spacers and plugged everything in now I have other issues

The post calls out an optic cable but mine doesn't have one to unplug, so when I plug it all on the radio comes on but the screen is black and none of the controls including volume work. Would that be tied to loose ribbon cables? I'm starting to lose my sanity here and I am dreading opening this thing back up

Thank you
Do you have enough clearance with XM radio board on? I took it out and I lost FM/AM radio. I haven't had chance to put it back in and need to figure out the clearance issue. It seems very tight when I initially installed the board. That's why I took it out and realized that I lost FM/AM radio.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:29 AM
GT4Kevin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LogicoZone
Do you have enough clearance with XM radio board on? I took it out and I lost FM/AM radio. I haven't had chance to put it back in and need to figure out the clearance issue. It seems very tight when I initially installed the board. That's why I took it out and realized that I lost FM/AM radio.
I did, I double stacked spacers, I think it's
 these these
Old 03-22-2022, 01:30 PM
aenemated
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to drop in after 2-3 weeks of this guy and say my experience has been pretty great. Only issue - that isn't a huge one really - is the BT connection being lost and having to reconnect every so often. Really only if I haven't driven in a couple days. I work from home so that can happen in the week.

Otherwise, everything is working great.

I did notice there were some artifacts around UI elements in Carplay (most noticeable in Maps) which I initially just figured was how it would be. But my curiosity got the better of me and I tracked down some much better ribbon cables than the ones found on Amazon and replaced them all including the original factory ones - and display is crystal clear now.

50 Pin

30 Pin

Those have the "ears" and snapped right in much easier than the ones that shipped with the Isudar unit (even before I broke one haha) as well as the factory ones. Hope that can help some of yall having connectivity issues.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
BW369 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 01:49 PM
Willy07
Racer

Excellent find !! for sure better quality.
On the BT connection......I believe that the BT connection is supposed to drop, after connection. Then on, communication, CP, is handled via wifi.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:50 PM
Willy07
Racer

@GT4Kevin
I believe you have a Version 1.2 board......and your firmware is a few revisions behind.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:57 PM
aenemated
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
Excellent find !! for sure better quality.
On the BT connection......I believe that the BT connection is supposed to drop, after connection. Then on, communication, CP, is handled via wifi.
Ah. When it happens, I've had to go back into BT settings on my phone and reconnect. Which, like I said, I've only had to do if I don't drive for a couple days so it's not even a big deal. In my old 911, I had an aftermarket head unit and had to plug my phone in for Carplay - which got really old after a while haha ... so I won't complain too much. (Or god forbid going through the 100 steps to just play a song from my phone through the stock PCM - totally why I went down this route in the first place)

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1