Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:50 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Since this thread is the "Received My Piwis" info, I'll post some observations after scanning my car.
It would be nice if there was a section on rennlist to post a PIWIS thread where owners of all the different models could read and collaborate-I guess it would have to be in the off topic section to be visible to all and get enough traffic(?)
So since this is the busiest one, here are some screen shots, after I did Vehicle Analysis Log and Vehicle Handover Log.

After disconnecting from the car, I opened piwis and entered simulation mode, by going to diagnostics and manually selecting my car:

Then, under control unit selection, overview, at the bottom you see Logs(F10)

Select Logs and choose either Vehicle Analysis Log or Vehicle Handover:

Then you'll see them,

After hitting display(F10) you can read the reports:

Screen shot only shows the overview of the VAL, you have to scroll through an extensive list. I erased VIN in Photoshop before posting-

Here's the Vehicle Handover:

When I did the Val I selected the Post option, since I had repaired a defective control-valve and wanted to clear any fault codes

I spent probably 2 hrs surfing to get to know things, and had my Powermax 55 Amp power unit set to 3 stage charging to be safe. I'll probably set it to fixed voltage next time, either 13.8 or 14.1 volts.
After all this I put my CTEK 7002 back on(through cigarette lighter) as it usually stays.
I checked power through Piwis while doing this, and it stayed around 12.8 volts throughout. Service Manual says it can't go bellow 12.5 volts.

So 991s, 992s and all newer cars probably require more than 55 amps, and perhaps more voltage-
I wasn't able to code my passenger window to "One Touch" operation the way the driver's window works. I'll have to search on the 997/GT3 threads for info on that-

Best,
John

Last edited by JB911; 10-03-2021 at 04:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB911:
cbwinters01 (05-19-2021), DogWood (05-18-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:08 AM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Since this thread is the "Received My Piwis" info, I'll post some observations after scanning my car.
It would be nice if there was a section on rennlist to post a PIWIS thread where owners of all the different models could read and collaborate-I guess it would have to be in the off topic section to be visible to all and get enough traffic(?)
So since this is the busiest one, here are some screen shots, after I did Vehicle Analysis Log and Vehicle Handover Log.

When I did the Val I selected the Post option, since I had repaired a defective control-valve and wanted to clear any fault codes

I spent probably 2 hrs surfing to get to know things, and had my Powermax 55 Amp power unit set to 3 stage charging to be safe. I'll probably set it to fixed voltage next time, either 13.8 or 14.1 volts.
After all this I put my CTEK 7002 back on(through cigarette lighter) as it usually stays.
I checked power through Piwis while doing this, and it stayed around 12.8 volts throughout. Service Manual says it can't go bellow 12.5 volts.

So 991s, 992s and all newer cars probably require more than 55 amps, and perhaps more voltage-
I wasn't able to code my passenger window to "One Touch" operation the way the driver's window works. I'll have to search on the 997/GT3 threads for info on that-

Best,
John
Nice post!

Be aware that you should be able to dig into the logs folders and copy off that zip file and read the embedded files directly without having to use the PIWIS interface. The PIWIS interface makes for some easy navigation/structure/viewing, but it's harder to search for keywords.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:14 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

There's a thread about VALs and i read this post:

>>It's not intuitive at all and there may be a better way... but select diagnostics and your model and go through a prompt or two and it should ask you if you want to create a VAL (vehicle analysis log). It takes 5 minutes or so. Once it's done I couldn't find any way to view the report within PIWIS, but you can open My computer to browse files, goto C drive, then Userdata, then PIDT. Two folders - Ansicht and Versenden - both contain the VAL in a ZIP file, not sure what the difference is. Open one of them, then click the FAP folder, then unzip the file called FAP_yourvin.zip. Finally, right click the FAP_yourvin.xml file and click open with -> PIWISBrowser.

Here's the thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1213...not-hours.html

I searched in that location and it didn't seem to be there.
But then searching for FAP under C:drive I was able to find the ones with my VIN, and other VINs too. I'd like to delete old ones if it doesn't cause any problems(?)

Yesterday I tried to code comfort windows to open and close from remote/key. I followed the procedure from the Durametric Coding thread and was unsuccessful. I experimented some more and ended up with a Fault Code in PCM unit, and had to reverse everything. But I didn't do it in Development Mode(E), just Coding under Overview of all control units. So I might have to explore Development mode, which feels dangerous to me.

One more note-since my Bosch full size AGM says "Recommended Charging 14.4 volts, +/-.2v", I set the Powermax to fixed, 14.5 volts.
And I also did the trick to set date and time back to current after the VCI was connected before doing the VAL and Vehicle Handover successfully

JB

Old 05-20-2021, 08:47 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

So far, I haven't been able to find a PIWIS III User Manual, and it's probably unavailable for now-the "Help" section on the software has limited info, the basics I've learned from using it.
But here's a good Piwis II manual. I saved it to my documents as pdf to view in acrobat, who knows how long it will be up on this site-it takes a few minutes to load:

http://file.yizimg.com/389884/2013051615244590.pdf

Best,
JB
Old 05-22-2021, 01:18 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Here's the pdf

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PIWIS II.pdf (19.80 MB, 317 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by JB911:
AZbound (05-25-2021), cbwinters01 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 06:22 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So silly question:
have a 997.2 TTS now and adding a '21 Cayenne arriving this week. Want to code in android auto and wireless carplay on the Cayenne. Maybe figure out if able to code in innodrive.

Buy software option 10. From belauto 38.200.17 and 40.000. Get a cheap windows 10 laptop with an SSD > 240 GB. Install the image using restore software.
Use a Chinese device with firmware 1.6.6.0 from either eBay or Aliexpress https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002337566136.html

Also need a device to provide constant power during the programming to prevent killing the battery.

Are there any other steps/equipment/etc needed to get this up and running?
Sorry if this was repeated earlier - I've read the entire thread and didn't want to order the wrong thing.

Last edited by Vital Signs; 05-24-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:54 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 84 Posts

13.5 should be fine, the car charges at 14.4 but a battery sitting without being charged is around 13.2V and drops from there over time. Anything that can maintain 13.5 volts while the car is on but not running will be fine.

I'm surprised your passenger window doesnt work the same as the driver window. I am assuming you tried the relearning procedure that is in the driver's manual. If not, try that first. Hold the button up till it closes, then release the button and then push it up till it clicks once. That should relearn and reactivate auto up and down
Old 05-25-2021, 09:00 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Vital Signs
So silly question:
have a 997.2 TTS now and adding a '21 Cayenne arriving this week. Want to code in android auto and wireless carplay on the Cayenne. Maybe figure out if able to code in innodrive.

Buy software option 10. From belauto 38.200.17 and 40.000. Get a cheap windows 10 laptop with an SSD > 240 GB. Install the image using restore software.
Use a Chinese device with firmware 1.6.6.0 from either eBay or Aliexpress https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002337566136.html

Also need a device to provide constant power during the programming to prevent killing the battery.

Sorry if this was repeated earlier - I've read the entire thread and didn't want to order the wrong thing.
So Somewhere buried in the thread that I started is what you can do and can't do with a PIWIS 3. This is more limited on newer cars since the '18 model year. One thing you cannot do, is turn on options you haven't paid for like sport cronograph or car play. Those options require a code. The dealer obtains the code from Porsche then they have to connect the PIWIS3 to their online network to enter the code into the car. This cannot be done offline. In the older cars, with a PCM version 3.1, you could buy codes from a russian hacker and the system would allow you to enter those codes offline. Porsche got wise to this and now all option codes as well as programming of any of the security modules, must be done online.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:18 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by JB911
There's a thread about VALs and i read this post:

>>It's not intuitive at all and there may be a better way... but select diagnostics and your model and go through a prompt or two and it should ask you if you want to create a VAL (vehicle analysis log). It takes 5 minutes or so. Once it's done I couldn't find any way to view the report within PIWIS, but you can open My computer to browse files, goto C drive, then Userdata, then PIDT. Two folders - Ansicht and Versenden - both contain the VAL in a ZIP file, not sure what the difference is. Open one of them, then click the FAP folder, then unzip the file called FAP_yourvin.zip. Finally, right click the FAP_yourvin.xml file and click open with -> PIWISBrowser.

Here's the thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1213...not-hours.html

I searched in that location and it didn't seem to be there.
But then searching for FAP under C:drive I was able to find the ones with my VIN, and other VINs too. I'd like to delete old ones if it doesn't cause any problems(?)

Yesterday I tried to code comfort windows to open and close from remote/key. I followed the procedure from the Durametric Coding thread and was unsuccessful. I experimented some more and ended up with a Fault Code in PCM unit, and had to reverse everything. But I didn't do it in Development Mode(E), just Coding under Overview of all control units. So I might have to explore Development mode, which feels dangerous to me.

One more note-since my Bosch full size AGM says "Recommended Charging 14.4 volts, +/-.2v", I set the Powermax to fixed, 14.5 volts.
And I also did the trick to set date and time back to current after the VCI was connected before doing the VAL and Vehicle Handover successfully

JB
Unless you need the data, vals aren't needed since they look to be uploaded to porsche and the last thing you want is your clone PIWIS trying to connect to the Porsche network. A little primer on the difference between the overview and the specific modules. The overview programing is what is sent to modules when you do auto programming. In there are the options you purchased, the region your car was delivered in, etc. In the individual modules is where you change specific things that you want to make unique, and you can only change things that don't require purchased options. I"ve not seen the window option you are looking for, but if you can't do it from the car normally, then likely it requires engineering mode if it even exists. There was a thread on this issue and some people said it wasn't possible Some people have indicated that engineering mode only works properly with certain versions of the software. My tester came preloaded with two versions, one in engineering mode and one in production mode even though as you discovered, any version can be changed to engineering mode. I haven't changed anything on my car that requires engineering mode so I cannot comment on what you can or cant do. I have looked for some options like disabling stop start and that can be done, but I never searched for auto windows up.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:06 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

There's no way the VAL will be sent to PCNA, internet is disabled on my PIWIS
The VAL and Vehicle Handover reports are nice to see. I posted the overview of the VAL, it's pages long so I just uploaded the first page-It've very detailed for my 997 and can only imagine how much more info on 991s, 992s and the newer cars-
As soon as you change to engineering mode, most of it is in German as many already know.
So it was good to get these logs done, as a record to compare later on-
Old 05-25-2021, 03:20 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
So Somewhere buried in the thread that I started is what you can do and can't do with a PIWIS 3. This is more limited on newer cars since the '18 model year. One thing you cannot do, is turn on options you haven't paid for like sport cronograph or car play. Those options require a code. The dealer obtains the code from Porsche then they have to connect the PIWIS3 to their online network to enter the code into the car. This cannot be done offline. In the older cars, with a PCM version 3.1, you could buy codes from a russian hacker and the system would allow you to enter those codes offline. Porsche got wise to this and now all option codes as well as programming of any of the security modules, must be done online.
It will have wired carplay active. It seems others have turned on wireless carplay and Android auto with either a piwis 3 or x431. I didn't read about additional codes required...
Old 05-25-2021, 03:48 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

It will have wired carplay active. It seems others have turned on wireless carplay and Android auto with either a piwis 3 or x431. I didn't read about additional codes required...
That would be new to me. Seems strange that it wouldn't be on if the hardware was present. Looking on the Porsche website, the only carplay option offered is wireless. Connecting it wirelessly requires a one time set up. This video shows how to connect it.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:40 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Check out

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17453200

It is possible without codes.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:39 AM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

So silly question:

Looks like a good list. Be careful about the Cayenne. Read the coding thread on the E3 forum, especially towards the end. John_C (I think) has a 2021 and could not use older versions of PIWIS (like 38.2). 40 and up may not provide you with any actual coding options. I do most of the coding on my wife's 2019 Cayenne with an x431 (like disabling the start/stop).

You Cayenne will come with wired and wireless CarPlay. As for Android Auto, check the E3 coding thread for a screen shot from "John Mclane" showing the name of the Google item. The look at my post earlier in that thread regarding where to find the wireless CarPlay items. Go to the same area and look for the Google items. They one-to-one match the Apple items (there are at least two items to change for "Google"). I hope this makes sense. It will once you play around with PIWIS (or an x431).

Here's the screen shot from John Mclane.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17105461
Old 05-26-2021, 02:37 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Check out

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17453200

It is possible without codes.
You may be correct, I read the thread but keep in mind that in engineering mode, all modules appear as visible, even if they are not on your car. It seems surprising that they have hardware that is not available. I reviewed the new car build and Wireless Carplay is not an option, it is what is offered.

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III