Panamera 2010-Current

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 02:24 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Received my new PIWIS III

I just received my new tester and I figured I would share my thoughts since I have used both the 2 and the 3 now. I should be more precise as I did not purchase an actual PIWIS III, but remarkably they are for sale on sites like this PIWIS.NET On that site is the actual factory tool and currently sells for $5,900 which was way too rich for my blood. It is in the factory carrying case with all the cables and WLAN cap for the VCI that plugs into the usb mini port and allows for wireless connection to the car, along with the multimeter and oscilloscope cable. What I bought, which sells for around $2,000 and what is for sale in most places, is a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 installed and the Porsche PIWIS III software installed and includes a USB wired VCI the same one the factory tester uses. I both cases the VCI and software have been modified to disable factory authentication and naturally there is no automatic updates. If you did have a PPN account, this tool would update normally. Most offer one year of updates and then charge for subsequent years. It should be known that the updates are really for adding new model years, not software changes. On to the review.

It is a nice laptop with a touch screen and a screen pen included. The Porsche software starts automatically, but the Microsoft button functions and you can do other things at the same time such as TeamViewer or open an internet page. The VCI ( the part that connects to the diagnostic port) is smaller and the cable connecting is shorter, but it is a standard USB to miniUSB cable so you can purchase an longer one anywhere. The tester can be changed from after sales mode to developer mode which allows for a lot of special features ( looking at you who want to disable start stop permanently). The software is faster, and easier to use than the previous version. For example on the diagnostic program, the tester auto detects the car model. Just plug it in, turn the key on and it does its thing. For me, I'm not sure if it is a function of the unit I have or not but the guided fault finding works well. Click on any fault and press the fault finding button and the unit tries to provide you a diagnostic plan. The plan is better and the English description is better. I haven't tried the wiring diagram software but I imagine it works as well as the previous version. There is a new ODBC program on the unit that reads standard ODBC codes, I am wondering if this unit can be used for other cars for simple code reading. I will try it on a buddy's car next week and let you know. There is a oscilloscope function and a multimeter function but the laptop clones don't come with these cables. If you check out the link I added you can see a factory tool and what that kit contains as compared to a laptop clone with VCI. All in all it is a better tool but really can't do more than the 2 can do, only faster and on cars from model year 2018 to current which the 2 can't do. Later I will clone the hard disk then see if I can upgrade the OS to Windows 10. I am certain it will work but cloning the SSD makes sense given my investment.
The following 17 users liked this post by rbrunelle:
16PanaHybrid (01-16-2022), boxhead (07-16-2023), circuiticon (10-23-2020), Deezflip (03-05-2020), DogWood (03-05-2020), FNTSTK 4 (03-05-2020), Gaz971 (07-10-2021), healthnut76 (01-15-2022), IRunalot (02-07-2023), justabout (03-06-2020), roddylennox (03-05-2020), Schwarz992C4S (08-26-2020), subaru335i (05-26-2020), tkr (07-26-2022), vkb123 (03-05-2020), yoshiokyoto (05-15-2023), Z06jerry (07-11-2021) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

10-23-2020, 09:32 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by circuiticon
Here are the options I'm looking at currently:
  1. vxdas - PIWIS III for Porsche with V39.500 Piwis Software Installed on Lenovo Yoga S1 i5 8g Touch Screen Laptop - Dual System: V38.200 + V39.500 - $1319
  2. autonumen - VXDIAG Piwis 3 Porsche Tester Piwis III porsche diagnostic tool with Lenovo T440P Laptop V39.700 - $1328 shipped
  3. Genuine PIWIS III with one year of updates - $2799 shipped

Has everyone with a grey market PIWIS 3 had a good experience? I was thinking of going with option 2 since it was the latest version.

Would the codes to add features such as sport chrono be available out of the box with option 3?
Let me tell you about how codes work. They work differently in older cars than newer(2018) cars. If you have a newer car even if you have the code, you can't enter it. All codes are online programming and without an account with Porsche in Germany, you aren't going to be able to enter it. I know this as Porsche connect requires a code. To obtain this code, you merely ask for it online. I have the code and the tester but I can't enter it in my 2018 Macan. Btw this is true for Authentic Porsche testers. In order to update the software they need to log in. no log in, no updates so don's waste your money on an authentic tester. VXDAS says they need your HD back to do updates at this time. It's clear they have a connection to a dealer there and have likely cloned a working HD so that's how they get the updates.

Now let's take about codes on older cars. There are two types of codes. Original factory installed codes and dealer installed options such as sport exhaust and map updates. When I had to replace the steering wheel stalk and the PCM, both of those require codes to activate the features. Once the codes are entered, you can no longer see them so you cant copy them before swapping the parts. Since my car had these features, there would be no charge to obtain the codes, They can be obtained by the dealer who will charge time to install them. My dealer charges $270 an hour. Vxdas will sell you your original codes for $125. I have 7 codes between the stalk and the PCM so it was worth it for me. For 2017 and older cars with a PIWIS, you can enter these codes and unlock the features. I did this and it worked on used replacement parts. They will not sell new codes. Now if you by the map update or sport exhaust from Suncoast, they will give you the code and you can enter it and add those features. If you buy used sport exhaust and install it all yourself, you will still need a code. There is a guy on the internet, a Russian who claims to have hacked the code system and will sell you codes at $100 each. I haven't tried him but I believe on older cars this is likely possible.
As far as cloned PIWIS, my PIWIS III works perfectly, I have no issues. The PIWIS is a PC with software. The clones are cloned software with the VCI authentication hacked so it doesn't seek factory authentication each time you use it. It works for repairs, It is ideal for someone buying a used Porsche who wants to do his own repairs. The dealer charges $1200 to change a O2 sensor. I did it for $60 A tester is not needed for the change, but it can test the sensor and verify it works. I use aftermarket parts so I find this reassuring. My transmission was rebuilt but requires calibration after rebuilding. This is why you get a tester. Change a battery, you need to input battery size type and date. Change oil, need it to reset maintenance interval.. Buy an new or used module, you need it to input the VIN and code it to your car. Want to change things like permanent auto start stop in a 971, you need it in engineering mode to do that.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:54 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing this review!
The following users liked this post:
168Sierra (02-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2020, 06:35 PM
YYCporsche
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
I just received my new tester and I figured I would share my thoughts since I have used both the 2 and the 3 now. I should be more precise as I did not purchase an actual PIWIS III, but remarkably they are for sale on sites like this PIWIS.NET On that site is the actual factory tool and currently sells for $5,900 which was way too rich for my blood. It is in the factory carrying case with all the cables and WLAN cap for the VCI that plugs into the usb mini port and allows for wireless connection to the car, along with the multimeter and oscilloscope cable. What I bought, which sells for around $2,000 and what is for sale in most places, is a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 installed and the Porsche PIWIS III software installed and includes a USB wired VCI the same one the factory tester uses. I both cases the VCI and software have been modified to disable factory authentication and naturally there is no automatic updates. If you did have a PPN account, this tool would update normally. Most offer one year of updates and then charge for subsequent years. It should be known that the updates are really for adding new model years, not software changes. On to the review.

It is a nice laptop with a touch screen and a screen pen included. The Porsche software starts automatically, but the Microsoft button functions and you can do other things at the same time such as TeamViewer or open an internet page. The VCI ( the part that connects to the diagnostic port) is smaller and the cable connecting is shorter, but it is a standard USB to miniUSB cable so you can purchase an longer one anywhere. The tester can be changed from after sales mode to developer mode which allows for a lot of special features ( looking at you who want to disable start stop permanently). The software is faster, and easier to use than the previous version. For example on the diagnostic program, the tester auto detects the car model. Just plug it in, turn the key on and it does its thing. For me, I'm not sure if it is a function of the unit I have or not but the guided fault finding works well. Click on any fault and press the fault finding button and the unit tries to provide you a diagnostic plan. The plan is better and the English description is better. I haven't tried the wiring diagram software but I imagine it works as well as the previous version. There is a new ODBC program on the unit that reads standard ODBC codes, I am wondering if this unit can be used for other cars for simple code reading. I will try it on a buddy's car next week and let you know. There is a oscilloscope function and a multimeter function but the laptop clones don't come with these cables. If you check out the link I added you can see a factory tool and what that kit contains as compared to a laptop clone with VCI. All in all it is a better tool but really can't do more than the 2 can do, only faster and on cars from model year 2018 to current which the 2 can't do. Later I will clone the hard disk then see if I can upgrade the OS to Windows 10. I am certain it will work but cloning the SSD makes sense given my investment.
Which supplier's PIWIS 3 is this review based on?
Old 05-01-2020, 11:31 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

vxdas.com
Old 05-04-2020, 09:51 PM
310JAY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any advantages getting a piwis 3 over piwis 2 besides being able to work on newer models?
I like the piwis 2 with tablet but not sure since the piwis 3 is $1500. I don't plan on getting 2018 and up anytime soon.
What would you recommend ?
Old 05-04-2020, 11:04 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Since the PIWIS 2 is obsolete I don’t know if Porsche is supplying updates for it. The only issue I see is that the newest variants of certain modules will not be able to be programmed. I have encountered this with the 3 since a clone version does not get regular updates. All we can hope for is a update release from our supplier down the road. All of the 2’s I see have the last software that was issued a few years back so there may not be updates for it. If you buy used modules with the same version as the one you remove then this isn’t an issue. Since module replacement is an unusual thing unless you buy a flood car like me I don’t see this as an issue. The 3 is faster but the tablet one might be equally fast. My particular 2 never worked well for guided fault finding and my three is better but refers to documents that only dealers have. In the end, I’m not sure I would spend the money for normal maintenance. 2018 versions and newer have no choice but to buy a 3. I hope this helps
Old 05-04-2020, 11:22 PM
vkb123
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn’t know much about the PIWIS until I read your awesome post on reviving a flood salvage Panamera. I always thought the PIWIS was a dealer only tool.

Since you “introduced” me to the PIWIS I now have the itch to get one. I have a Durametric Pro cable already and it works great for resetting service reminders and basic code reading. The PIWIS is on a whole different level.

I was actually going to private message you for PIWIS advice. In one of your posts (and I always read your posts!) you mentioned “making” your own cost effective PIWIS. You mentioned instructions are available on-line to do this. Can you point me (and others) in the right direction or offer step-by-step instructions on making one? I have a 2014 4S but am interested in assembling a PIWISIII in case I ever upgrade to a newer model.

Thanks!
chandanYOGI (01-17-2021)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:34 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Unfortunately I haven’t seen anyone making a PIWIS 3 If you research online you will find the instructions for making the hard drive portion of the PIWIS 2. It involves installing VMware on your laptop then creating a hard drive then loading the PIWIS 2 image onto it. That image file can be found in 5 parts in several servers on the net. However all you have done is saved the software expense which is $120. You still must purchase the vci which runs $350. The Tablet at $700 is your best bet since you know the software is setup for that hardware and includes the vci and cables. So far I haven’t sent those discounted yet.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:09 PM
310JAY
Instructor

Appreciate your insight!

Do you think this is a good option for piwis iii

VXDIAG Piwis 3 Porsche Piwis Tester III porsche diagnostic tool with Lenovo T440P Laptop V38.400.00 for $1500 usd
I know you mentions $2k hence the question
Old 05-05-2020, 02:21 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

I couldn’t find that exact offering but that is not the current software revision Current version is 38.9
Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 PM
310JAY
Instructor

I see so that would make more sense. It comes with older software but $1500 piwis 3 I'll ask about updating to latest. Shouldn't be another $500 but will check and get back.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM
310JAY
Instructor

V38.900 Porsche Piwis 3 Tester III PT3G Diagnostic with SSD Software Installed Lenovo S1 yoga12 Laptop

$1399 plus shipping
Old 05-05-2020, 04:06 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by 310JAY
V38.900 Porsche Piwis 3 Tester III PT3G Diagnostic with SSD Software Installed Lenovo S1 yoga12 Laptop

$1399 plus shipping
I paid $2000 for that bundle. You might let people know where they can get that price
Old 05-05-2020, 08:41 PM
310JAY
Instructor

Obd2tool but I haven't purchased anything from them . So not sure how legit it is?
Just not sure why it's $600 off from your price?
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 310JAY
Obd2tool but I haven't purchased anything from them . So not sure how legit it is?
Just not sure why it's $600 off from your price?
We will find out soon enough. Hopefully PayPal buyer protections help..

update: still waiting as DHL is experiencing massive delays. Has been on hold for over 5 days awaiting an aircraft...

Last edited by NightBlueTTS; 05-21-2020 at 08:04 PM.
DogWood (05-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III