Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 11:13 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Did the codes stay gone? 8A is not enough. I believe Porsche calls for 90A minimum. My cars voltage drops significantly when coding which tells me the modules are drawing a lot of juice. I also tried using another large SUV's alternator and that didn't work either. I keep my car at ~13.5v. Once it gets closer to 12.0 the PIWIS software give you an alert and lower (I want to say near 11.0) it will not let you go any further until the voltage goes back up.
The following users liked this post:
Ponce (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 11:27 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think you're in way over your head. You have an external power supply but don't know how to connect it? You tried to recode the Gateway module without really understanding the innards of the software etc. nor do we understand why you would want to code an older SW version...Your 8A power supply is totally inadequate.

There are too many unknowns here. Respectfully I suggest

1) Take the car to a dealer
2) Begin reading up on PIWIS and understand the tool you are trying to use.

GL

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 07-15-2024 at 11:29 AM.
rainer (07-22-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 11:31 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

I agree… way more research should be done before coding. Should you brick a module, you will be looking at a tow to the dealer and who knows how long of a wait to replace a module for who knows how many thousands of dollars.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:37 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

The Gateway firmware should be OK.
The issue is not on the post programming firmware, its something else.

Ponce (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 11:42 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

But why try and code an older firmware?

siberian
Old 07-15-2024, 04:02 PM
Ponce
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure it out! Its working.
I had to add every single option by hand and install it. I dont know why but it seems automatic coding delete most of it. It shows that everything is installed (except headlight washer - there is no such code in my piwis).
Thank for all supportive and helpful people!
Old 07-22-2024, 05:11 AM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If automatic coding deletes items in the Gateway there must be something wrong with the VO I guess. Normally Piwis looks up option in the VO for automatic coding.

I've seen a 970 recently which seemed messed up since options were simply missing in the VO, had to add them manually (e.g. LED headlights, the option was simply empty)
Old 07-22-2024, 12:28 PM
GT3dailydriver
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Could someone explain what "auto coding" does? Does it code everything based on the VIN, or how does it klnow what options are installed and how to code them?
Old 07-22-2024, 12:46 PM
technoholic
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3dailydriver
Could someone explain what "auto coding" does? Does it code everything based on the VIN, or how does it klnow what options are installed and how to code them?
Reads the Vehicle Order from the car, then codes all modules to match the settings required for those installed options. You can change your own VO and then re code the entire car and it will change anything required to make that option work. E.g. if you add PSE if you don't have it, auto coding will then change settings in the PCM to display the button, change settings in the DME to allow control over the valves and so on. As far as I know, with these knock off versions of PIWIS, when you change the VO for your car, it doesn't change it at Porsche centrally unlike when you buy a factory PSE and fitment for example, which will then add the option to your car in the Porsche database instead of just "locally" on your car.
GT3dailydriver (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:48 AM
jtsherri
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction with this one and how to determine if I should program the default PDK calibration or the one referenced above.

Long story short: I screwed things up by tinkering with the PIWIS before I knew how to use it (nothing critical - just inconvenient!). I’ve since worked with someone to get her 90% back to normal and although he’s a seasoned Porsche tech, information on the above doesn’t seem to be available, so hoping someone here may be able to shed some light.

Worst case, I know the default cal won’t blow it up, but hoping to get it right vs. guessing and checking.

Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻👍🏻
Old 07-25-2024, 10:54 AM
technoholic
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsherri

Hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction with this one and how to determine if I should program the default PDK calibration or the one referenced above.

Long story short: I screwed things up by tinkering with the PIWIS before I knew how to use it (nothing critical - just inconvenient!). I’ve since worked with someone to get her 90% back to normal and although he’s a seasoned Porsche tech, information on the above doesn’t seem to be available, so hoping someone here may be able to shed some light.

Worst case, I know the default cal won’t blow it up, but hoping to get it right vs. guessing and checking.

Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻👍🏻
You can't "Program" a calibration - programming and calibration are two different things. You shouldn't be going near programming in my opinion, calibration is in menu 6 and is the only thing you should run if you dont know anything more which I dont. I would not go ahead with programming anything unless you know exactly what you are programming.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:06 AM
jtsherri
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by technoholic
You can't "Program" a calibration - programming and calibration are two different things. You shouldn't be going near programming in my opinion, calibration is in menu 6 and is the only thing you should run if you dont know anything more which I dont. I would not go ahead with programming anything unless you know exactly what you are programming.
Apologies for the terminology mistakes. I chat with a lot of engineers across different platforms and tend to ‘cross streams,’ so it’s easy to get the verbiage wrong.

Ultimately, I *know* that the PDK needs to be re-programmed back to stock. It currently has a Cobb tune on it, with the inability to flash it back to stock using their hardware (due to previous issues I was dealing with). To work around this, I need to use PIWIS to take it back to the stock, then deal with Cobb’s support team to reset the AccessPort and flash the aftermarket tune back on.
Old 07-28-2024, 02:17 PM
paskuale
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask some informations about T6PTG3 ?
- It will work with original driver for Porsche VCI G1/G2 or it's a Passthru device (need another driver) ?
- It will see ignition ON/OFF ? Passthru devices can not see ignition ON or OFF
- Can I program replacement headlights on Macan 2022 ? I already tried with VAS but it will not work due communication issue...
Old 07-28-2024, 02:32 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You'll need to download the tabscan app from eucleia for drivers.

It will recognize ignition status

You should be able to reprogram headlights on Macan.

GL

siberian
Old 07-28-2024, 03:00 PM
paskuale
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your kindly answer.
I will take the interface soon.
Bests

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III