Sponsored by:

PIWIS VAL - Lists overspeed range ignitions but not hours

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 06:44 PM
boblo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIWIS VAL - Lists overspeed range ignitions but not hours

Hi. I'm using a PIWIS II clone on a 2017 991.2. My vehicle analysis log lists overspeed range 1 with 19 ignitions and range 2 with 6 ignitions, which is a little surprising because a few weeks ago I mis-shifted into 2nd around 80 and hit what I thought was ~7700 rpm. Anyways, I've looked all throughout the VAL and no where can I find the operating hours at which the overspeed events occurred. I've searched wide and far and have yet to see anyone post a DME report that didn't specify hours. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:07 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by boblo
Hi. I'm using a PIWIS II clone on a 2017 991.2. My vehicle analysis log lists overspeed range 1 with 19 ignitions and range 2 with 6 ignitions, which is a little surprising because a few weeks ago I mis-shifted into 2nd around 80 and hit what I thought was ~7700 rpm. Anyways, I've looked all throughout the VAL and no where can I find the operating hours at which the overspeed events occurred. I've searched wide and far and have yet to see anyone post a DME report that didn't specify hours. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks in advance.
hey could you share which menu path you used to get here, I am trying to find this screen on my PIWIS II clone as well.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:20 PM
boblo
AutoX

Originally Posted by Joec500
hey could you share which menu path you used to get here, I am trying to find this screen on my PIWIS II clone as well.
It's not intuitive at all and there may be a better way... but select diagnostics and your model and go through a prompt or two and it should ask you if you want to create a VAL (vehicle analysis log). It takes 5 minutes or so. Once it's done I couldn't find any way to view the report within PIWIS, but you can open My computer to browse files, goto C drive, then Userdata, then PIDT. Two folders - Ansicht and Versenden - both contain the VAL in a ZIP file, not sure what the difference is. Open one of them, then click the FAP folder, then unzip the file called FAP_yourvin.zip. Finally, right click the FAP_yourvin.xml file and click open with -> PIWISBrowser.

Last edited by boblo; 09-14-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

It's not intuitive at all and there may be a better way... but select diagnostics and your model and go through a prompt or two and it should ask you if you want to create a VAL (vehicle analysis log). It takes 5 minutes or so. Once it's done I couldn't find any way to view the report within PIWIS, but you can open My computer to browse files, goto C drive, then Userdata, then PIDT. Two folders - Ansicht and Versenden - both contain the VAL in a ZIP file, not sure what the difference is. Open one of them, then click the FAP folder, then unzip the file called FAP_yourvin.zip. Finally, right click the FAP_yourvin.xml file and click open in -> PIWIS Viewer.
LOL thanks! what great UI! As useful as the tool is, it's so damn un- intuitive.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:15 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

It's not intuitive at all and there may be a better way... but select diagnostics and your model and go through a prompt or two and it should ask you if you want to create a VAL (vehicle analysis log). It takes 5 minutes or so. Once it's done I couldn't find any way to view the report within PIWIS, but you can open My computer to browse files, goto C drive, then Userdata, then PIDT. Two folders - Ansicht and Versenden - both contain the VAL in a ZIP file, not sure what the difference is. Open one of them, then click the FAP folder, then unzip the file called FAP_yourvin.zip. Finally, right click the FAP_yourvin.xml file and click open in -> PIWIS Viewer.
Thanks for this! I've been searching for where the VAL file ends up and never could figure out how to view it. Used my PIWIS clone to replace the PDK clutch fluid last weekend (for whatever reason the 997.2 is 60k miles unlike the 991) so it has already paid for itself.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:48 PM
boblo
AutoX

No prob - please let me know if yours shows the hours since overspeed event or only the number of ignitions! I wonder what the issue is. Maybe the ECUs stopped logging hours for 2017+... anyone else with a 991.2 or 992 have a DME report?

Last edited by boblo; 09-14-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:35 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

No prob - please let me know if yours shows the hours since overspeed event or only the number of ignitions! I wonder what the issue is. Maybe the ECUs stopped logging hours for 2017+... anyone else with a 991.2 or 992 have a DME report?
My VAL does show the hours and overrev count together but it's a 997.2 so I guess it's different. I can also access it by selecting "DME" and the "actual signal/input values" tab. There's an entry there called "engine data" that includes both count and hours. I then switched over to 991 in Simulation mode and the "engine data" entry is missing. It may be buried in another menu but I could not find it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:41 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

Any one figure out how to do a DMW report from PIWIS II clone? I have a 981 Cayman and can't seem to find it in the menus.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:45 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Boblo - Did you find your answer to where the hours are in the overrev report? Like PV997 I also have a 997 but when I ran the VAL in simulation mode for the 991 on my PIWIS clone - the hours showed under each overrev ignition range. I'm not sure why they are not showing up for you.

991TurboRules - There may be easier/better ways but if you create a VAL and open/view it per the instructions in post #3 it will list the ignitions and operating hours. I found the best way to find them since the report is huge is to do a ctrl-F search and put "ignitions" in the search field. That will take you to the beginning of the overrevs, like seen above.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:30 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Ok, I was able to do this in simulation mode. Unfortunately I can't run a full VAL. It stalls midway in between. It seems the USB connection suddenly gets lost and the program stalls. I'm wondering if the battery is an issue? I get an "!" by the battery. I have it plugged into a trickle charger but it seems to think the car is low on battery when I run PIWIS. Does anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by 911TurboRules; 03-04-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

991T - Yea, I had the same problem with the battery until I put a 15 amp charger on. There are some comments earlier in the thread that a trickle charger can't keep up and you should use a 55 amp charger but, for me the 15a works fine. My trickle charger did not keep up and I had to take my regular charger out of "Auto" charging mode and put it in the fulltime 15a mode. I also (to be safe) plugged my laptop into it's charger.
To view the file once it is unzipped - right click on it - select open - select open in PIWIS viewer, as in post #3 above.

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 03-04-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Phrog Phlyer- thanks! I figured how to read the xml file with the piwis browser. Wondering if any regular xml browser will read it but not Chorme or Word. Just bought a 15amp charger on Amazon. Hopefully this one works. I don't really want the huge 55amp thing laying around in my garage.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:57 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

You guys were right! Have to run the full VAL log and then find it on the hard drive and view it with the PIWIS browser program in the VirtualBox Windows. Then search for "ignitions". Mine kept stopping in the middle of the VAL test which turned out to be the battery not having enough power. I bought a 15mp charger on Amazon and now it runs perfect! Thanks for everyone's help! PIWIS is the most non-user friendly software. Whoever developed it needs to take some classes in making a better UI and flow.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:22 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 318 Posts

Has anyone done maintenance to PIWIS III? Under Tools->Data, File management, there are all the Log folders.
I'm curious which ones can be deleted to clean things up-from previous vehicles etc

Thanks
JB

Quick Reply: PIWIS VAL - Lists overspeed range ignitions but not hours