Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 11:30 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by eltoshan
shhhhhhhhhhhh, it's all about the emotions of a car.... until lap times! Never will get to the limits of a chassis on the street, but it's all about torsional rigidity!

Oh yeah, and the golf clubs which I posted earlier Porsche likes to advertise as well

Name:  photo31.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  photo261.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  631.7 KB

Name:  photo472.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  50.3 KB

You can't pay for this kind of entertainment ..
Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Now stretch the length of time the car is at its limit out and see how it performs?

the GT2 is 17 seconds faster than the ZR1 on the Ring.

The GT3 RS puts up a near identical time to the ZR1 despite, what, 200 less HP?

Now do that same race 100 times and see which cars doors will grind when opening and which will still feel solid.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...gring-lap-time
Old 07-30-2019, 11:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Yes, but Porsche didn’t compromise the entire rear end to mash in a little trunk behind its engine to accommodate more.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by K-A
Yes, but Porsche didn’t compromise the entire rear end to mash in a little trunk behind its engine to accommodate more.

No, they just put a trunk in front of the engine with folding seats which are useless as well.

The same seats they take out in the GT models to look more race car like which leaves a totally unusable space.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Oh yeah, and the golf clubs which I posted earlier Porsche likes to advertise as well

You can't pay for this kind of entertainment ..

LOL

unfortunately with these prices Porsche has to go where the money is , only so many 30 something start up hero's , thus also need to pedal features that attract older guys as well
Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
Yep....I see no one cared to comment on that telling bit of news.
If we don't think Porsche isn't taking notice then we are delusional.
in my email today I received an email from Porsche. Think the C8 had something to do with this? Damn right it did.
<><><>

Porsche News

Issue 07/2019

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxxxx,

The "Porsche Visualizer AR app" allows you to virtually position your individually configured Porsche in your own surroundings. Admire it in your living room or park it in your garage. All you need are the app and an augmented reality-enabled smartphone or tablet.
<><><>
Originally Posted by STG
Yeah, they only comment on nonsense that when debunked by facts is still ignored.
Yeah, that email was a joke .... who the hell cares about some dumb app?? They have issues ..
This app. was under development for AT LEAST a year.

GM pushed out the release of the C8 over and over again.. and don't be surprised if they have to push it out further still, considering all the marketing hype the engineers didn't know was coming.
Engineer speak: THEY SOLD WHAT?!!

You're trying to project meaning where there is none.

And what FACTS are you talking about exactly. Right now the C8 is nothing but a paper tiger.

Originally Posted by Dan87951
You really want to talk about cheapness? Porsche can't even make 6 figure car that was designed for the track last. Porsche glamorizes its GT cars as track ready, but the reality is, it isn't so glamorous when this happens. Porsches cheapness knows no bounds. Fact is I have never seen a Covette have a strut tower failure at the track. Maybe Porsche should focus their efforts on getting their cars to last longer than 10k miles before needing thousands in repairs instead of making "track ready" vehicles.
I agree the strut tower problem in the GT4 is a bad thing.. needs to be resolved.
But man don't get me started on the cheapness of the C7.
The Wheels on the C7 Grandsport are known to simply CRACK.. From street driving.. can you imagine if that happened driving near the limits on the track.

Will the C8 get the same wheels?

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Practicality has always been a Corvette strong point. But since you keep insisting on making absurd arguments in this thread....
Baby boomers are 55-75
Corvette ownership has risen to an average age of 62
https://www.creditdonkey.com/golf-pl...mographic.html
"Although plenty of single men and women enjoy playing a round, golf is a sport that's primarily dominated by married folks. An estimated 68% of all golfers are married."
"As of 2013, approximately 24 million people in the U.S. played golf at least once per year."
"The largest percentage of golfers is composed of men between the ages of 18 and 59"

Sure seems like they know their target market a lot better than you do.
Originally Posted by STG
Not to mention, Porsche's number one selling model?? The Macan. No way avg income is even close to $400K for those buyers. Super competitive market there and Porsche could lose ground there quick. Those buyers have little loyalty other than wanting a luxury bag there.

Porsche sports cars sales have been flat and declining for years.
Sports car sales IN GENERAL have been flat for years.. The SUV and Trucks reign supreme in the market and they have for a long while now.

Hey how come nobody is talking about Porsche SUVs stealing market share from GM SUVs.. Cuz I see A LOT of Cayennes and Macans on the road.

Originally Posted by K-A
Uhh. Yeah. You just described the 911’s winning potion. Lmao. The one car in the world that can proudly stay true to one design idiom thus never date. It’s why it’s in a league of its own to me. It’s why it’s the sports car benchmark, bar none, that everyone has chased for 60 years. That comment on the 993 is a COMPLIMENT. How much are 993s selling for today? How much are C4s? Right.

911’s don’t play for general rules. That’s what makes them 911’s.
+10

The message that has percolated to the top already.. is the only C8 that'll be worth a damn (especially on the track) will cost at least $84K+.
"Prevailing cooler track heads" are saying they're gonna wait to see how the Z06 will perform and at what price.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:44 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
No, they just put a trunk in front of the engine with folding seats which are useless as well.

The same seats they take out in the GT models to look more race car like which leaves a totally unusable space.
Actually they store quite well I think. And they ensure the car isn’t as long as a 3 Series, as wide as a Cayenne, and doesn’t have a rear that looks inspired by a $15K Malibu mated to a Camaro.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Now stretch the length of time the car is at its limit out and see how it performs?

the GT2 is 17 seconds faster than the ZR1 on the Ring.

The GT3 RS puts up a near identical time to the ZR1 despite, what, 200 less HP?

Now do that same race 100 times and see which cars doors will grind when opening and which will still feel solid.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...gring-lap-time

I applaud the GT3 RS (since FI cars do not interest me) one of the best NA sports cars. They had to up their game since it was

embarrassing that an under powered 4080 lb Gen 5 Camaro z28 is only half a second behind 991 GT3 at VIR

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virgi...e-post-01-2014
The following users liked this post:
SoCal-NSX (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
This app. was under development for AT LEAST a year.

GM pushed out the release of the C8 over and over again.. and don't be surprised if they have to push it out further still, considering all the marketing hype the engineers didn't know was coming.
Engineer speak: THEY SOLD WHAT?!!

You're trying to project meaning where there is none.

And what FACTS are you talking about exactly. Right now the C8 is nothing but a paper tiger.

I agree the strut tower problem in the GT4 is a bad thing.. needs to be resolved.
But man don't get me started on the cheapness of the C7.
The Wheels on the C7 Grandsport are known to simply CRACK.. From street driving.. can you imagine if that happened driving near the limits on the track.

Will the C8 get the same wheels?

Sports car sales IN GENERAL have been flat for years.. The SUV and Trucks reign supreme in the market and they have for a long while now.

Hey how come nobody is talking about Porsche SUVs stealing market share from GM SUVs.. Cuz I see A LOT of Cayennes and Macans on the road.

+10

The message that has percolated to the top already.. is the only C8 that'll be worth a damn (especially on the track) will cost at least $84K+.
"Prevailing cooler track heads" are saying they're gonna wait to see what the Z06 will do.
OUCH. Guess their wheels are as “rigid” as their chassis’.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3797778-cracked-wheels-3.html

No car is perfect. But nobody has more “warning, safety hazard” tags than GM cars on NHTSA’s website.

And yeah, I must be “nuts” for focusing on having no choice but to accept an extremely low rigidity figure for a 2020 car, when its *bolted* together by the same company who thought a couple.... hundred or so human lives were worth the cost of a few pennies saved on faulty ignition switches. Silly me.

Seriously. Between that and the bailout, I loathe GM. Junk brand for eons. Even though I have bought some and had fine experiences for appliance purposes. The fact that I’m even considering the C8 is a testament to it. But I’m not lapping up the “kool aid” considering GM’s criminal past.

The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Of course the VW Group hasn't had its share of scandals ...

Name:  photo963.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  761.9 KBName:  photo785.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  694.6 KBName:  photo567.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  951.2 KBName:  photo587.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  959.1 KB
Old 07-30-2019, 12:10 PM
eltoshan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys suddenly forget about IMS/RMS/bore scoring/PDK failure/airbags not deploying/improperly fitted windshields/COV/plastic water pumps/power steering failure?
The following 4 users liked this post by eltoshan:
2slow2speed (07-30-2019), Chester7 (07-30-2019), Craigy (08-05-2019), Noah Fect (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 12:17 PM
STG
Race Director

All this nonsense won't change he fact the C8 will be a success and very likely to live up to its expectations.

Is it a $300K Porsche GT or Ferrari? No ... will it be amazing as an under $100K sports car, absolutely. Will it give cars a run for their money that cost twice as much? I'm sure.

We're getting a bit nuts trying to come up with every crazy reason why it isn't a great sports car. Yeah, if it's come down to golf club storage then there's not much there to criticize.
The following 2 users liked this post by STG:
bertram928 (07-30-2019), Chester7 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Where does the money go for all these fines? How is it used?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Where does the money go for all these fines? How is it used?
That is funny. What does any government entity do with taxes and fines? They spend it.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

The level of mudslinging at Corvettes in the last few posts indicates to me that the C8 has struck a nerve, challenging some deeply held feelings.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chester7:
Caustic (07-30-2019), porschedood5000 (07-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?