Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 04:09 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

although the bolt is the main focus, but once the oil leak starts, you'll also need to replace the gasket since it had been compromised otherwise you'll still get non stop seepage

there are 17 bolts on the TCC, you can replace some with the engine in place, but not all.

replacing a few bolts is just a band aid fix, a permanent repair required the engine out per PCNA
Old 06-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

2015 macan turbo. Had the car a year and it has the leak as confined when on a lift at my Indy for oil change. I have around 10 months left of CPO coverage so I will attempt to get it fixed under warranty. What’s the best way to approach that?
Old 06-29-2021, 06:47 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
2015 macan turbo. Had the car a year and it has the leak as confined when on a lift at my Indy for oil change. I have around 10 months left of CPO coverage so I will attempt to get it fixed under warranty. What’s the best way to approach that?
You will not have any issues on having the TCC leak repaired under warranty. If you have a 'relationship' with an SA at your local Porsche dealership, call or email. Worse case, pick up a phone, call to schedule an appointment and ensure you will get a loaner for the duration. Make sure you have a DL, CC and proof of insurance in your pocket when you drop it off.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:04 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
You will not have any issues on having the TCC leak repaired under warranty. If you have a 'relationship' with an SA at your local Porsche dealership, call or email. Worse case, pick up a phone, call to schedule an appointment and ensure you will get a loaner for the duration. Make sure you have a DL, CC and proof of insurance in your pocket when you drop it off.
roger that. I’ll have to get it done at some point. Does the repair take weeks?
Old 06-29-2021, 09:18 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

roger that. I’ll have to get it done at some point. Does the repair take weeks?
less than one week if all goes well. Btw, if you’re close to 30k, buy plugs and have them install them while the engine is out. I did.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:27 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

less than one week if all goes well. Btw, if you’re close to 30k, buy plugs and have them install them while the engine is out. I did.
good idea but just did that at 60k and now at 65k. Funny cause I’ve done a few oil changes and no other Indy mentioned the leak to me before. I went to another shop and took a look myself. pdk service at 80k is the next big service item. This whole thing just makes me wonder about keeping it too long past warranty. We’ll see
Old 06-30-2021, 11:26 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Ok, so I spoke to my SA and he gave me two options. He said the first option takes about a day and they just retorque and replace the bolts. The second option... the option I have read about with the engine out and reseal and replacing bolts etc he told me would take 1.5 months! Anyway, I went with the second option. I figured if they gave me a loaner for that whole time no skin off my back. He gave me the impression that the first option would fix the issue and some people don't want their engine removed for the fix etc. That is a bunch of crap right? If I'm going to have the fix done under warranty I want it done the "correct" way so I made the right call going with the second option? The kicker is that they can't get the car in until September.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:55 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

Ok, so I spoke to my SA and he gave me two options. He said the first option takes about a day and they just retorque and replace the bolts. The second option... the option I have read about with the engine out and reseal and replacing bolts etc he told me would take 1.5 months! Anyway, I went with the second option. I figured if they gave me a loaner for that whole time no skin off my back. He gave me the impression that the first option would fix the issue and some people don't want their engine removed for the fix etc. That is a bunch of crap right? If I'm going to have the fix done under warranty I want it done the "correct" way so I made the right call going with the second option? The kicker is that they can't get the car in until September.
First option is what you do if you are out of warranty so you need to foot the bill yourself and just want to buy some more time to keep it longer or just fix it enough to get top dollar on trade in since it won't visibly leak for a bit. My understanding from my service advisor was that the first option was the original recommendation on the repair until cars came back again so Porsche revised the bulletin to do the full engine out service.

The actual labor of the second option should really only take about a week or two once they have the parts and an available engine stand. Ask what is the exact cause of the 1.5 months. The leak isn't really a safety issue so you can continue to drive the car. Again, my service advisor told me that he would not need me to leave my car with them until he has the parts and the engine stand available. It's not in anyone's best interest to have a customer car sit in the back lot of the dealer for that long. There's no way they will store it protected inside the shop for that long all the bays are needed for other jobs so it will sit outside and then moved in for the actual work. Is this some tiny dealership? Maybe you need to check around for a larger dealership.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by rasetsu
First option is what you do if you are out of warranty so you need to foot the bill yourself and just want to buy some more time to keep it longer or just fix it enough to get top dollar on trade in since it won't visibly leak for a bit. My understanding from my service advisor was that the first option was the original recommendation on the repair until cars came back again so Porsche revised the bulletin to do the full engine out service.

The actual labor of the second option should really only take about a week or two once they have the parts and an available engine stand. Ask what is the exact cause of the 1.5 months. The leak isn't really a safety issue so you can continue to drive the car. Again, my service advisor told me that he would not need me to leave my car with them until he has the parts and the engine stand available. It's not in anyone's best interest to have a customer car sit in the back lot of the dealer for that long. There's no way they will store it protected inside the shop for that long all the bays are needed for other jobs so it will sit outside and then moved in for the actual work. Is this some tiny dealership? Maybe you need to check around for a larger dealership.
Well in that case I will continue with my plan of doing the engine out service. So I think the 1.5 month quote was probably designed to give them A LOT of room so that when its done earlier the customer is happy. It's a fairly large dealer and I have a good relationship with the SA... also its literally a 7 mile drive from my house so going somewhere else is not really a good solution as other dealers are a lot further away. My car isn't garage kept 100% of the time anyway (only a 2 car garage where my 996 and 05 STi live most of the time)... thanks for the info though. I will inquire why the timeline is the way it is and see what he has to say.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:27 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by rasetsu

talk to SA. He said 3-4 weeks minimum as he says the job is a loss on time. The tech will be working on other jobs as PCNA pays for around 30 hours while it takes 60-70 hours to do it right. Whatever the case may be so long as they give me a loaner what can I do but wait.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

September?
You're luckier than I do, my 17 S is also scheduled to have it done in mid September but I had been in line since early April
Old 07-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by Faust T.
September?
You're luckier than I do, my 17 S is also scheduled to have it done in mid September but I had been in line since early April
Wow they must be seriously backed up
Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 PM
Art Picone
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my 2017 Macan S back from dealer who repaired the leaking Timing Chain Cover. Took the 7 days but had to wait 7 weeks before they could begin the work due to a loaner shortage. They did remove the engine, drain the oil, coolant and evacuated the AC. Hope there are no future issues from the work they did. Always hate it when the factory AC charge is messed with because it doesn’t seem to cool as good as before.
The following users liked this post:
2021Macan (08-03-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:46 PM
weston98
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another data point for this discussion.
2018 Macan S in service since 9/2017. Developed an oil leak a few months ago but waited until the 40k service to bring it in. Dealer said the usual wait is 4 weeks or more for available engine stands. Since I already had a loaner for the 40k they prioritized it and went ahead with the repair. Took 8 days start to finish. All seems fine now. They also threw in some Porsche swag for the inconvenience. Very pleased with their attitude and service. Porsche of Fairfield, CT.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:28 PM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Vehicle: 2016 Cayenne GTS (3.6L TT) / mileage: 38K / leak discovered ~7K miles ago

What is the technical harm in not correcting a leaky timing cover?

I read most the above but didn’t see this question either asked or answered. And I don’t intend this question to be rhetorical, sarcastic, or attempting to “troll” in some manner. Truly curious to know the tradeoff in risk for not having the engine pulled and new (potentially still faulty) bolts put back in? The obvious outcomes of not performing the repair are 1) the engine will leak oil and that is messy 2) the engine will leak oil and “at this price we should expect perfection”. But what are the other real or potential unfavorable outcomes? Do other components on the front belt assembly get fouled due to oil and thus fail? Is there chance of complete timing cover failure / separation thus potential for catastrophic engine failure? I don’t know thus why I’m asking.

Last edited by D3RP; 08-18-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)