Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmonaye
I’ve been looking for a Macan S for my wife’s next car. Her current car is a 2011 BMW 528, so we’re aware of the high costs of maintenance and repairs for European vehicles. Honestly, reading thru this thread thread has changed my mind towards not getting the Macan S.

I showed this thread to the Porsche dealer that I’ve been working with after he told me he’d never heard of the timing cover oil leak and transfer case issue. He then back tracked and said that the number of these issues compared to the 85,000 Macans sold are minuscule. That was a big red flag.

2019 and up are a bit out of my budget, so what do you guys think. I’d hate to buy one and have the warranty expire prior to having them fix it.
the leak is common enough that PORSCHE issues a TSB on it, my dealer is booked through the end of September for TCC replacement since it tie up a senior tech for a whole week.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every car will have it's issues and the more expensive the repair, the louder the audience will be. At the end of the day it is a small number in relation to the amount sold, so he's not wrong there although definitely tried to dodge the initial question as it is for sure a known problem.

Hell, my Honda from the 90's and every other one made were bullet proof and reliable but damn near every one you see has rust on the rear corner panel by the wheel - aka "Honda Cancer". Again, statistically it is small but the repair cost is what get's people (including me) nervous since it's an engine out procedure
Old 06-04-2021, 03:42 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I showed this thread to the Porsche dealer that I’ve been working with after he told me he’d never heard of the timing cover oil leak and transfer case issue. He then back tracked and said that the number of these issues compared to the 85,000 Macans sold are minuscule. .
How can he make a statement like that? I'm just wondering who is keeping track of the total number of vehicles affected? Define "minuscule".
Old 06-06-2021, 03:24 PM
cuemaster
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what is the engine name, or designation number on these engines, where the Porsche robot broke the aluminum timing cover bolts?
mines a 15 Macan turbo that definitely has this leak.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:21 PM
Bmonaye
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Porsche’s “fix” to this problem was to use Audi’s engine, I test drove the SQ5. I have to say, that thing may be better than the Macan S. The interior is better, handling was superb (Sport option with air suspension) and it has lots of power. Price point is better too. I think I may have changed my mind to getting the SQ5 instead of the Macan S. Magma red interior is crazy beautiful on the sq5.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:03 AM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Since Porsche’s “fix” to this problem was to use Audi’s engine, I test drove the SQ5. I have to say, that thing may be better than the Macan S. The interior is better, handling was superb (Sport option with air suspension) and it has lots of power. Price point is better too. I think I may have changed my mind to getting the SQ5 instead of the Macan S. Magma red interior is crazy beautiful on the sq5.
ADUI has some weird option combination limited that would be a deal breaker for me,
eg, you can't get Magma Red interior with blue exterior paint,
and you also can't get Magma Red or any other Nappa leather with ventilated seats (critical for Los Angeles weather)
Old 06-08-2021, 05:14 PM
cuemaster
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faust T.
ADUI has some weird option combination limited that would be a deal breaker for me,
eg, you can't get Magma Red interior with blue exterior paint,
and you also can't get Magma Red or any other Nappa leather with ventilated seats (critical for Los Angeles weather)
related to leak how?
Old 06-12-2021, 05:33 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Went to go buy a 17 GTS this morning and discovered this. Car is not under a warranty, I went home in my old car :/

Old 06-13-2021, 07:48 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if private seller/dealer was wondering why you were peeking under the panel, or was it a PPI (well done!)? I feel for the next person who comes around an may not do the PPI or inspect as closely but as they say (and it's unfortunate in any case), buyer beware...
Old 06-21-2021, 03:06 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Has the timing cover leak been known to be a repeat issue or is it a one time fix ?
Old 06-21-2021, 03:09 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
Has the timing cover leak been known to be a repeat issue or is it a one time fix ?
Mostly one time if fixed correctly.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:46 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
Mostly one time if fixed correctly.
so, they fixed the leak but the fix was just replacing the timing cover bolts. Is this good enough to buy without worry?

Old 06-24-2021, 05:01 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
so, they fixed the leak but the fix was just replacing the timing cover bolts. Is this good enough to buy without worry?

Not for me. This appears to be a patch job and no where close to being what should have been done.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:26 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 421 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
Not for me. This appears to be a patch job and no where close to being what should have been done.
Isn't replacing the bolts what has been discussed?
Old 06-26-2021, 12:35 PM
Cludwig
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Correct, the timing cover seal and the valve cover gaskets are different components. The instances I’ve read about where engine removal was necessary was with the timing cover leak. I believe a valve cover gasket leak can be addressed without engine removal, at least that’s the case with the Cayennes.

As for this leak issue overall with the 3.0 V6 Macans, those instances I’ve read about have occurred with a few 2015 and 2016 models. It appears that Porsche has likely since addressed this in production for the later model years.
Just had the dealer inform me my 2018 Macan S has the issue. Engine out repair, under warranty thankfully. Seems this is a design issue and not as simple as bolt torque.

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)