Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 03:45 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

2015 Macan S with 54k miles. Noticed oil leak while inspecting the car on my own. Dropped it at the dealership and just confirmed engine out repair under CPO warranty. SA mentioned that they have an expert on this issue in their dealership. Epic fail. The car has been always serviced by another Porsche dealership and last oil change was 2k miles ago. I read through the paperwork and they never mentioned the leak during any of their inspections. It almost looks like as if there is an SOP not to disclose it under warranty. Also found another minor issue with rear speakers and parts are now being ordered from Germany.

So: even for CPO cars it's a must to go through PPI. Or at least check out every piece of the car on your own. If I bought this non CPO I would have already been $15k out.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:26 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Dealerships and any car lot will not make any repairs prior to the sale of any vehicle. They will not invest any monies for this. They won’t do it.

Only after a sale...if it’s caught by the new owner will they step up...sometimes. Dealerships normally won’t point out leaks. Unless you have a really good relationship with the SA, SM or the mechanic will they say something.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:03 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There are definitely different points of view in this case but as for me - I am never coming back to the dealership which didn't disclose oil leak and provided the document stating: no maintenance is required and vehicle is performing as expected. There were also other issues with the car which were left unnoticed.

I was hesitant about spending $500-$750 on PPI on CPO vehicle as recommended by many members on Porsche forums but now I think it's money well spent as CPO only means that there are no obvious issues which could be found by average Joe, not that the car is in pristine condition.

Apparently for Porsche the issue is only when customer is aware of it. If customer is not aware of it - then there is no issue.

Last edited by Alex K.; 01-18-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:17 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

May I suggest one other item which is slightly (actually, a lot..) off topic. I bought my '18 Turbo new with 23 miles on it. ALL four tires were bald in 9,000 miles. Conti Contact 6's. I didn't think too much at the time. I dropped it off at a Porsche dealership to have a set of Goodyear Asymetrics installed. The SA stated the mechanic thought it was a little out of alignment. It was out a lot. A lot! Got 15K out of the next set.

NOTE: You might want to consider having your alignment checked now. Or, wait until you replace your existing tires and have an alignment performed before you mount the new set. Take a look at the alignment sheets and how bad they were out before, after and then a second time because they didn't perform a proper alignment the first time. I have since stopped using that dealership. If I can't trust them with an alignment, I certainly won't trust them with a brake job or anything else....

Old 01-23-2021, 11:07 AM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex K.
Even for CPO cars it's a must to go through PPI. Or at least check out every piece of the car on your own. If I bought this non CPO I would have already been $15k out.
I think if the car is CPO you're generally OK without a PPI. The warranty is there to protect you - just do a thorough inspection on your own.

I'm actually starting to change my view on PPIs in general, even for non-CPO cars, because I find that a lot of mechanics out there (yes, even highly rated Porsche independent shops) won't always know to look for certain things.

So, best to arm yourself with knowledge and a flashlight. Get the car on jack stands/ramps, or up in the air and have a look yourself. It's completely free, and guaranteed 100% to meet your standards because you are going to witness the condition of the car firsthand.

That's a lot more confidence inspiring than someone coming out of a service bay and telling you the car is fantastic and you owe them $500. Even on cars that are seemingly in the nicest of shape, I bet you could find something wrong in 10-15 minutes time.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:15 PM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rk15000
I think if the car is CPO you're generally OK without a PPI. The warranty is there to protect you - just do a thorough inspection on your own.

My own experience with buying a CPO Macan Turbo dictates that this is not entirely true. Yeah, the warranty will cover you, but you're not factoring in the time and $$ potentially spent (gas, time off work, etc) having to deal with a troublesome vehicle that may require multiple trips to the dealer.

Not all Porsche dealers are created equal...there are some shady mf'ers out there and IMHO, the CPO warranty is only part of the equation. I want to know if this car has a history of documented issues, because if it does I don't care if it has a CPO warranty....it's not worth the hassle and headache.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:25 PM
Don H
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confirmed Timing Cover Leak

Routine oil check and inspection confirmed the leak. 2017 M-Turbo with 60k miles. Dealer says fix will run between $15,000 to $20,000 to fix. Dealer says Porsche traditionally generous with this fix. This has been my favorite car but if Porsche doesn’t cover 90% of this fix I’ll sell it to CarMax and never look back. My car is worth maybe $50k. This is a common problem Porsche knows all about. It’d be different if it’s an isolated case.

anyone have this type of experience?

Anyone see the new AMG 63S GLC Coupe?
Old 02-19-2021, 10:23 PM
Auric
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Don H
Routine oil check and inspection confirmed the leak. 2017 M-Turbo with 60k miles. Dealer says fix will run between $15,000 to $20,000 to fix. Dealer says Porsche traditionally generous with this fix. This has been my favorite car but if Porsche doesn’t cover 90% of this fix I’ll sell it to CarMax and never look back. My car is worth maybe $50k. This is a common problem Porsche knows all about. It’d be different if it’s an isolated case.

anyone have this type of experience?

Anyone see the new AMG 63S GLC Coupe?
- Is this car not under warranty?
- The loss you take in selling your car may be worth it to take them to small claims.
- Get a quote from carvana too.
- Depending on how bad the leak is, you may be able to keep driving.

Last edited by Auric; 02-19-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:45 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Hi all! I'm looking at getting the wife a CPO Macan Turbo and found this thread. Obviously a little concerning to see but, I've owned enough german cars with stupidly expensive potential problems to not be completely dissuaded. I've read through a decent chunk of this thread so far but, to save me a little time can anyone tell me if my assumptions are correct and answer a couple of questions? Thanks in advance.

1. The timing cover leaks appear to be due to an issue with the cover bolts failing.
2. The fix from Porsche appears to be a change to the torque procedure, not a revision to the hardware itself. Is that correct?
3. Has anyone had this repair done and had it fail afterwards or is this a situation where once it's corrected you are good to go?
4. I understand this is not strictly an engine out procedure if not doing it by Porsche's book but, is still pretty involved/costly and requires basically putting the car into what Audi sufferers call "service position" to gain access to the timing cover bolts.
5. If people are seeing this problem multiple times is there an aftermarket solution like a stud kit, helicoil/timesert with stronger bolts or something along those lines?
6. Roughly how common does this issues seem to be? Is it all 6 cylinder engines or just a production window?

The vehicle I'm primarily interested in had an engine out repair for a leak at less than 10K miles. I'm assuming that would be the timing cover they were addressing but, I'll work on getting the actual maintenance record if we proceed to be sure.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 02-23-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

16 Turbo w leak. I have similar to pic in #256 for the past year. I haven't had a chance to look under it until I got a lift.
Took it to dealer and confirmed it needs the fix. 3 weeks for parts to arrive. CPO.
If you get one hotrod, check the transfer case (7yr warranty) and for this oil leak (may get 'covered' with enough people complaining). That's it, though.

Last edited by JC Lacayo; 04-15-2021 at 03:45 PM. Reason: They've had it for 4 weeks now. Parts ordered, dealer busy, staffing issues....
The following users liked this post:
hotrod2448 (03-02-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:54 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Default Suspected Timing Chain Cover Leak.....CPO'd GTS

After performing an oil change this past Sunday, it looks like my '17 Macan GTS is going to be a casualty of the timing chain cover leak. It's only been a year since I purchased this as a CPO vehicle, so I can't say for certain whether or not this was "overlooked" as a year has gone by, but there's a fair amount of oil throughout. But I'm glad I decided to do the oil change myself as opposed to the $400 quote from the dealership.

Oddly enough, I called my local Porsche dealer and they are out of loaners for two weeks....I honestly have never heard of this before, let alone two weeks. Does anyone know what is performed to fix this issue from happening again? I thought I read different bolts are used that are less prone to cause a leak.

I'll update in a couple weeks, but here are some photos

Old 04-20-2021, 09:59 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Muski_Portia
Oddly enough, I called my local Porsche dealer and they are out of loaners for two weeks....I honestly have never heard of this before, let alone two weeks.
Never heard of a service department being busy and being out of loaners? Not ever dealer can have 100 loaners available.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:03 AM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Never heard of a service department being busy and being out of loaners? Not ever dealer can have 100 loaners available.
From my experience, no....not a complaint, but thought it was odd as I've never come across it. Maybe I've always come in at the right time then
Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Local dealer has been out of loaners couple times. At least I had one...for the past 34 days for the timing cover; said ordering parts system changed, and some parts were backordered. Finally got my baby back.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:34 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Talking

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
Local dealer has been out of loaners couple times. At least I had one...for the past 34 days for the timing cover; said ordering parts system changed, and some parts were backordered. Finally got my baby back.
34 days for a timing cover change?? COVID issues didn't even cross my mind for this - can easily see that extending loaner usage. At least I'll save some miles not driving it haha

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)