Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 12:05 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
So you're saying the only way Porsche could have eliminated the leaky engine parts was to replace it with a different engine?
Who knows, engines were changed for the MY19 vehicles. Cost cutting and parts sharing by VW.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:30 PM
forrest319
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Finally registered to share my experience since I just had this completed on my 2018 Macan Turbo last week. Got an oil change at my independent Porsche mechanic, he spotted the timing cover leak and a leaking water pump. Took it to the dealer and complained of burning smell from the engine area, they found the leak and ordered the parts, still under warranty. It took 7 weeks to get all the parts in stock. They told me the supply chain was all messed up with a ton of stuff showing in Germany but with no tracking, they also told me the repair procedure was updated by Porsche while we were waiting, so additional parts had to be ordered which added a couple more weeks. Once they got parts it was 7 business days for the repair to be completed (good loaner so whatever). I added up all the parts on the 4 page RO and found 296 parts were replaced and it appears more than 25 hours total labor billed (lots of screws, bolts, seals, and gaskets, oil and coolant too). The RO also noted it was failing/separating bolts responsible for the timing cover leak. Glad I still have almost two years of CPO warranty left on it.
The following 4 users liked this post by forrest319:
2021Macan (06-02-2021), MGT3 (06-01-2021), PCARNTHZST (06-01-2021), Slow Guy (06-04-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:05 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: I dropped off my '17 Macan GTS off yesterday and per the inspection report, my dealer is saying it's a valve cover gasket leak.

My question to everyone here is; based on my photos, is that the case? Unless oil is simply dripping perfectly on the bolt I'm looking at, it seems to be oozing out of said bolt.....I'm going to speak with them tomorrow and if they refuse to budge, I'll take off the cover and inspect everything again in a few months.

Unrelated to this but I've noticed my driver rear suspension always seems to be 1/2 inch lower than the rest. I've measured it multiple times and it comes out to 1/2 inch every time. Anyone ever notice this on their air suspension? I had them check that out as well and they measured everything as square - was hoping for a system reboot / reset.

Originally Posted by Muski_Portia

Old 06-02-2021, 07:23 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

UPDATE: I dropped off my '17 Macan GTS off yesterday and per the inspection report, my dealer is saying it's a valve cover gasket leak.

My question to everyone here is; based on my photos, is that the case? Unless oil is simply dripping perfectly on the bolt I'm looking at, it seems to be oozing out of said bolt.....I'm going to speak with them tomorrow and if they refuse to budge, I'll take off the cover and inspect everything again in a few months.

Unrelated to this but I've noticed my driver rear suspension always seems to be 1/2 inch lower than the rest. I've measured it multiple times and it comes out to 1/2 inch every time. Anyone ever notice this on their air suspension? I had them check that out as well and they measured everything as square - was hoping for a system reboot / reset.
If you are talking about that bolt in the second photo, that bolt isn't one of the timing cover ones. I could be wrong but I believe that is the AC compressor housing so that bolt isn't holding back any engine oil and very possible that is just where the oil is collecting. Oil does interesting things when it's leaking in a hot engine bay with air swirling around. I had visible oil leakage on the passenger side that collected around the alternator and that was determined to be a valve cover oil leak. It was fixed about 5K miles ago and underside has been clean and dry since. Regardless of what the dealer says or does, you should ask them to clean up the belly pan well and check it yourself every few months.

As for the air suspension, is it on level ground when you measure? Measure it again on another surface that appears level. The suspension self levels every time you get out so if you are measuring it in your garage or driveway, it could just be that there is a dip on that corner where you are parking.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:24 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

These engines are dripping oil like the old Harley Davidsons.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:48 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rosen39
These engines are dripping oil like the old Harley Davidsons.
Please by specific as to which engines???
Old 06-02-2021, 11:01 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
Please by specific as to which engines???
Harley Davidson Pre-Twin Cam engines.

Last edited by rosen39; 06-02-2021 at 11:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rosen39:
Muski_Portia (06-02-2021), Noah Fect (06-26-2021), w2ge (01-01-2022)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:10 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

AC housing? I can do an oil change but I'm no mechanic haha. I've seen photos of that bolt / area in other threads so assumed it was apart of the timing chain cover but I honestly do not know, so you may very well be correct. A part of my rational is I almost want it to be the timing chain cover issue so I can get those aluminum bolts out before my warranty expires.....But yes, I plan on telling them to clean it all up so I can check later down the road.

Yes, it is on level ground in the garage when I've measured it. Even on a downward hill when the front dips in unison, the driver side rear will be lower than the passenger side rear. It can't be a leak so that's why I was wondering if there is a "factory reset" of the air suspension module that can be performed. Just seems odd
Old 06-03-2021, 12:22 AM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

pick up an used 17 Macan S with 38,800 miles, car still under warranty,
discover the oil leak just 2 days after I bought the car.

Scheduled an appointment with loaner, dealer called it "very light leak" and told me PCNA required them to dye the oil and wait at least another 5K miles,
picture 1 is how much oil it drips in the first 5 days, it literally leaks more oil in a week than every single one of my Mercedes combined in their life time.

picture 2 is how the alternator looks like when they handed the car back too me, doesn't look like they done any cleaning at all.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:55 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

AC housing? I can do an oil change but I'm no mechanic haha. I've seen photos of that bolt / area in other threads so assumed it was apart of the timing chain cover but I honestly do not know, so you may very well be correct. A part of my rational is I almost want it to be the timing chain cover issue so I can get those aluminum bolts out before my warranty expires.....But yes, I plan on telling them to clean it all up so I can check later down the road.

Yes, it is on level ground in the garage when I've measured it. Even on a downward hill when the front dips in unison, the driver side rear will be lower than the passenger side rear. It can't be a leak so that's why I was wondering if there is a "factory reset" of the air suspension module that can be performed. Just seems odd
I Googled photos later and that bolt is definitely just the mount for the AC compressor. All the leaky timing cover bolts face forward. That bolt in your photo faces to the driver's side. I too had hoped my oil leak was the timing cover so it would be dealt with but like you, they said it was from the valve cover which is another known leak point but just not as common. It was so known that my dealer had already assembled and stocked "repair kits".

Take the measurements again in different locations and provide photos to the dealer. Request a recalibration.
The following users liked this post:
Muski_Portia (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Good news is I found out by the dealer I have an extra year on my warranty than I thought. Bad news is I was going to install a Cobb Tune with BGB Motorsports in 6 months as I thought my warranty was going to expire! May still pull the trigger and keep fingers crossed.....

Noted on the recalibration. I Just spoke with the service manager and was hoping there could be some factory reset and he said they'll look into it. The SM also said there is now a Service Bulletin regarding the air suspension as a lot of owners have noticed uneven stances, so there is now "acceptable parameters" they abide by.

Appreciate the intel

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I Googled photos later and that bolt is definitely just the mount for the AC compressor. All the leaky timing cover bolts face forward. That bolt in your photo faces to the driver's side. I too had hoped my oil leak was the timing cover so it would be dealt with but like you, they said it was from the valve cover which is another known leak point but just not as common. It was so known that my dealer had already assembled and stocked "repair kits".

Take the measurements again in different locations and provide photos to the dealer. Request a recalibration.
PCARNTHZST (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 04:39 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Good news is I found out by the dealer I have an extra year on my warranty than I thought. Bad news is I was going to install a Cobb Tune with BGB Motorsports in 6 months as I thought my warranty was going to expire! May still pull the trigger and keep fingers crossed.....

Noted on the recalibration. I Just spoke with the service manager and was hoping there could be some factory reset and he said they'll look into it. The SM also said there is now a Service Bulletin regarding the air suspension as a lot of owners have noticed uneven stances, so there is now "acceptable parameters" they abide by.

Appreciate the intel
I had Cobb tune installed when my leak appeared. I just flashed it back to stock map before taking the car in. Dealer repaired the valve cover leak and replaced the transfer case at the same time no questions asked. I even left the Flat6 filters in place after asking my service advisor and he said they didn't care because these are known issues. I know this varies by dealership though.

Last edited by rasetsu; 06-03-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Slow Guy (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:57 PM
Muski_Portia
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I had Cobb tune installed when my leak appeared. I just flashed it back to stock map before taking the car in. Dealer repaired the valve cover leak and replaced the transfer case at the same time no questions asked. I even left the Flat6 filters in place after asking my service advisor and he said they didn't care because these are known issues. I know this varies by dealership though.
Unfortunately it does vary a lot by dealerships. The first time I went in for a recall repair last year I asked one of the service managers and he said it would void my warranty if they found it (which they can even if flashed back to stock - it leaves "finger prints" on the ECU).

I have Flat 6 filters as well and will laugh in front of them if they say those will void a warranty haha. During my initial search, I spoke with another dealer in Atlanta and they were more of a "tuner friendly" dealership, saying at the end of the day a repair just means more $$$ for them so they turn a blind eye. I'm more worried if other parts go out, outside of the 2-3 three common issues. ie transmission, turbos, intercoolers, etc. Honestly, I'll still likely go through with it soon as I need more powah
Old 06-04-2021, 03:24 PM
Bmonaye
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been looking for a Macan S for my wife’s next car. Her current car is a 2011 BMW 528, so we’re aware of the high costs of maintenance and repairs for European vehicles. Honestly, reading thru this thread thread has changed my mind towards not getting the Macan S.

I showed this thread to the Porsche dealer that I’ve been working with after he told me he’d never heard of the timing cover oil leak and transfer case issue. He then back tracked and said that the number of these issues compared to the 85,000 Macans sold are minuscule. That was a big red flag.

2019 and up are a bit out of my budget, so what do you guys think. I’d hate to buy one and have the warranty expire prior to having them fix it.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM
PCARNTHZST
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine has been a great reliable daily driver. Like others I have had the transfer case and oil leak repaired under warranty (mine had 65,000km when these items needed to be fixed and replaced).
If you buy one just be sure to get an extended warranty (I'm sure it will pay for itself over time).

Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)